Waived: Zalpe & Juulsen clear waivers, Samuel Montembeault claimed by MTL

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
So I guess Monty will be the starting goalie for Montreal before the season ends?
Hell of a lot more possible there than here as it stands, though I hope Carey Price is gonna be ok. I appreciate having Carey around while we're still lucky enough to be able to watch him play this game.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
We rushed Monty to the show before he was ready which ruined his development. Then we signed Bob, Driedger was solid, and we drafted Knight. Now Gibson is beating him out. Sure, it would’ve been nice to keep him around, and maybe he’ll be a late bloomer. But it’s fine to move on at this point. Fortunately we have management and a scouting staff competent enough to be able to replace a 4th-5th string guy.

and to be clear I was a big Monty fan. I watched him many times in the Q and thought he was dominant in a high-scoring league. Quick reflexes and athletic, good glove hand. But he needed consistent, uninterrupted time in the AHL for 2-3 years at least… previous management shuttled him back and forth.
25 NHL games at 22-23 y.o. ruined his development? Never thought it is so fragile.

Reactions: Vilam

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The answer to your question is that he was a free agent. He was deemed expendable. The guys only played 10 games in the A in the last 2 years! He's pretty much shown he can barely hang on. He signed a one-year, one-way contract with the Hershey Bears. Very replaceable.

As to no depth, how about
Gerasimyuk?
Gerasimyuk is overseas and will stay there for a while. It's good we have him in the system, but where near future is concerned, he's irrelevant.
I mean we have Bob, Knight and Gibson for 3 NHL goalies; that is usually enough to get you through the season. A fourth goalie is rarely needed, and a fifth goalie pretty much never is unless you're Vegas in 2017. Provided the top3 guys do their jobs, we should be fine.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Gerasimyuk is overseas and will stay there for a while. It's good we have him in the system, but where near future is concerned, he's irrelevant.
I mean we have Bob, Knight and Gibson for 3 NHL goalies; that is usually enough to get you through the season. A fourth goalie is rarely needed, and a fifth goalie pretty much never is unless you're Vegas in 2017. Provided the top3 guys do their jobs, we should be fine.
I agree, although some here will insist that it’s already obvious that Bob won’t do his job.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Umm, at what point was he rushed and bounced too much between the two leagues?

Rookie pro season he was recalled twice, first time for 2 days and second time for 10 days. Didn't play any NHL games, but played a respectable 41 AHL games.

Second season he was again recalled twice, first time for 3 days and second time for 38 days. IIRC this was the time when Lu got injured, Reimer was healthy and vice versa. Montembeault started off well, but again his inconsistency showed, but that is to be expected with young goalies in their first NHL games. Despite spending over a month with the big team, he again played a very respectable 39 AHL games.

Third season everyone expected him to make the team, which he did, despite a poor showing at training camp (at least from what I recall). He stuck around until the end of November, odds are he doesn't get recalled unless Bob and Driedger get hurt. 1 day, 7 days and 47 days call-ups in January - March.

Fourth season not much to talk about, since covid messed up everything on most AHL teams.

I'll give you the third season that Monty didn't get to play enough AHL games, but the amount of NHL games certainly wasn't too much to ask from him and the stints he had in years 1&2 were fine. Eventually you have to start phasing in goalie prospects, sometimes it's through choice and sometimes you're forced to. I would blame our AHL coaching if anything, since Monty still had the same consistency issues in pro year 3 as he did in juniors when we drafted him.

Then perhaps he was rushed to the AHL too. Hindsight is 20/20, but it’s the staff’s job to realize things like that in real time. Of course Springfield was bad during Monty’s time, but we did have an unofficial affiliation with ECHL Manchester during those years, he could’ve easily gone there.

Fortunately, I think he’s one of the last guys left in the system that was mishandled by previous management. The new group seems to understand development (Zito won an AHL championship and brought many guys through the system over time) and really welcome these guys taking their time.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
We rushed Monty to the show before he was ready which ruined his development.
You’re way too smart for this cliché. Unnecessarily rushing a player through development is not what happened here. That’s a universal cheap excuse for either the player just being a bust or the quality of development itself not being very good.
Players that were rushed were folks like Horton and Weiss and Bouwmeester etc., not Monty.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Montembault has one year above a .900 save% after leaving the Q. are we seriously going to go on for pages acting like he was rushed?

He was a 4th round pick. Plenty of goalies like him in every draft. Goalies are projects. Maybe he puts it together in Montreal. Wasn't happening here.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Montembault has one year above a .900 save% after leaving the Q. are we seriously going to go on for pages acting like he was rushed?

He was a 4th round pick. Plenty of goalies like him in every draft. Goalies are projects. Maybe he puts it together in Montreal. Wasn't happening here.
Pretty much agree. Because the goalie position is so much about mental prep, sometimes a change of scenery with a fresh start is what’s needed.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Pretty much agree. Because the goalie position is so much about mental prep, sometimes a change of scenery with a fresh start is what’s needed.
He's gonna show these little people!

...and he wasn't rushed. He was dicked around. Rushed would've been better than what he got.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He's 24, and won 7 of his last 8 in the AHL

What was Dreidger doing at 24?

That's not the right question to be asked. The right question is what most goalies like him are doing at the age of 24 and answer to it is "contemplating different options if this goalie business doesn't pan out".

Reactions: Dread Clawz

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
That's not the right question to be asked. The right question is what most goalies like him are doing at the age of 24 and answer to it is "contemplating different options if this goalie business doesn't pan out".
Usually what a goalie thinks when he gets a chance with his hometown team.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Even by your standards that's not true as I see he had a 4.04 GAA and .885 sv

Um, no he didn't. Why are you going all the way back to his 22 year old season? You said what was Driedger doing when he was 24....by that time he had consecutive ahl seasons of .924 and .932 sv% and sub 2.45 gaa. And outplaying Monty on the same team. Monty has yet to even have one season like that and last season he played on Syracuse.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto

Montembault was a 3rd round pick actually....with Price not ready to start the season and Primeau needing to play a lot and headed for the AHL, Habs needed a goalie to start the season behind Jake Allen. Habs coach Ducharme said today that the team liked Montembault a lot since the 2015 draft. He's playing the whole pre-season game tonight against the Leafs in Toronto. So we'll see how he performs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad