Waived: Zalpe & Juulsen clear waivers, Samuel Montembeault claimed by MTL

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Montembault has one year above a .900 save%

I don't have a dog in this fight, but SV% in the AHL is more of a team stat. A goalie can be making every save they're supposed to make and still have a shitty SV% because the team is giving up ugly chances. Pekka Rinne's AHL career may be a good example.

IMO goalies need to be evaluated with the eye test. And even then, their synergy with their goalie coach is huge. A poor fit of goalie coach can make a good goalie look bad.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't have a dog in this fight, but SV% in the AHL is more of a team stat. A goalie can be making every save they're supposed to make and still have a shitty SV% because the team is giving up ugly chances. Pekka Rinne's AHL career may be a good example.

IMO goalies need to be evaluated with the eye test. And even then, their synergy with their goalie coach is huge. A poor fit of goalie coach can make a good goalie look bad.

The thing is, Driedger vastly outplayed Monty on the same ahl team. That's why he earned a promotion and Monty didnt. He essentially took Monty's spot on the roster.. Driedger put up way better performances in the nhl than Monty did(His hot streak in 18-19 aside).

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The thing is, Driedger vastly outplayed Monty on the same ahl team. That's why he earned a promotion and Monty didnt. He essentially took Monty's spot on the roster.. Driedger put up way better performances in the nhl than Monty did(His hot streak in 18-19 aside).
It wasn't just Driedger either. Montembeault has been constantly outplayed by the other AHL goalie(s) on his team, including the last season in Syracuse; his performance has also been wildly inconsistent.
Maybe he'll blossom in Montreal; he's still young-ish, goalies in general develop slower and a change of scenery might do him good. But at some point, you'd expect "potential" to translate into "on-ice success", and he's lacked in that area the past few years.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
It wasn't just Driedger either. Montembeault has been constantly outplayed by the other AHL goalie(s) on his team, including the last season in Syracuse; his performance has also been wildly inconsistent.
Maybe he'll blossom in Montreal; he's still young-ish, goalies in general develop slower and a change of scenery might do him good. But at some point, you'd expect "potential" to translate into "on-ice success", and he's lacked in that area the past few years.
Your post is right on! Stephane Waite who coached Niemi and Crawford in Chicago and Price in Mtl, said today that Montembeault, who's he's a big fan of, needs to work on being more consistent. When asked if Montembeault can still get better he says that 24 for a goalie is still very young. He says Crawford only became a number one goalie at the age of 27. So I guess we'll see how he performs tonight.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I've been checking in on this game. Monty just isn't an nhl goalie.
After watching the whole thing, I have no respect for your opinion.

Even if you never respected mine, which is evident for many of you, check the MTL thread see what they think. Doubt you will care to.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
At one point shots were 42-14 in favor of Toronto and Sam was the only one that showed up. Mrazek faced not one shot of the same quality that went by Sam.

It´s no secret i also dont believe in his NHL Career for Monty. Sorry he got better, but sorry NHL Numbers under 0.900. He has a problem Goalies shouldn´t have rebound control.
He still works on it, but you work early on it or work on the best way to spread the Pucks. Maybe also a Problem in former AHL development Staff this never happens.

He has no real full Season under his Belt in the NHL, a full Season in the AHL would be something where he really can work and prove.

Maybe they wanted to test him this Game. I dont expect them have a full scouting Report on Monty. So where do you start to work, let him play capture all the moments, movements set up, mentaly reaction and start working from there. If they really wanna keep him and improve him.

When you saw Tampa vs. Florida Games does one of the Goalies looked weak on the shot they faced, Vasy spread his legs like he did in PO, Knight streached his leg out to make saves all those on high class Chances.
Does the Answer of he faced to much Shots is an excuse. No

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
After watching the whole thing, I have no respect for your opinion.

Even if you never respected mine, which is evident for many of you, check the MTL thread see what they think. Doubt you will care to.

Well whatever, a couple of those goals he'd like to have back, even the announcers said so. Montreal sucks, and Toronto did make some nice skill plays, but a few of those shots he let in were stoppable. It's not like it's just this game, we have a pretty big body of work to go off of now wrt Monty.

You get the respect that you give.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well whatever, a couple of those goals he'd like to have back, even the announcers said so. Montreal sucks, and Toronto did make some nice skill plays, but a few of those shots he let in were stoppable. It's not like it's just this game, we have a pretty big body of work to go off of now wrt Monty.

You get the respect that you give.
LOL ya ok, well now I'm gonna be giving the respect I've been getting so at least that statement outta you will hold truth.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It´s no secret i also dont believe in his NHL Career for Monty. Sorry he got better, but sorry NHL Numbers under 0.900. He has a problem Goalies shouldn´t have rebound control.
He still works on it, but you work early on it or work on the best way to spread the Pucks. Maybe also a Problem in former AHL development Staff this never happens.

He has no real full Season under his Belt in the NHL, a full Season in the AHL would be something where he really can work and prove.

Maybe they wanted to test him this Game. I dont expect them have a full scouting Report on Monty. So where do you start to work, let him play capture all the moments, movements set up, mentaly reaction and start working from there. If they really wanna keep him and improve him.

When you saw Tampa vs. Florida Games does one of the Goalies looked weak on the shot they faced, Vasy spread his legs like he did in PO, Knight streached his leg out to make saves all those on high class Chances.
Does the Answer of he faced to much Shots is an excuse. No
Numbers don't prove anything. Otherwise every goal that goes in is the goalies fault and if he doesn't stop 9 out of every 10 shots he faces, no matter how they go in, he doesn't belong in the NHL? I'm sorry, that's so simple minded and frustrating to always have to read.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Numbers don't prove anything. Otherwise every goal that goes in is the goalies fault and if he doesn't stop 9 out of every 10 shots he faces, no matter how they go in, he doesn't belong in the NHL? I'm sorry, that's so simple minded and frustrating to always have to read.
The same reasoning is applied to our own goalies. Panther fans have an extra ordinary expectation on what a goalie should be able to do with a dumpster fire defensively in front of them.

I am surprised you are surprised.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The same reasoning is applied to our own goalies. Panther fans have an extra ordinary expectation on what a goalie should be able to do with a dumpster fire defensively in front of them.

Well, yeah, this is the place that made me realize it works that way. Years and years ago.
I'm surprised that I'm still surprised too.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Why every Goalie in this League around the Globe who plays Hockey or which sport ever. Knows he is the last man standing before someone score, no matter which Sport you choose, where is a Goalie involved. And really every Goalie says, when my Team lost, its my fault cause im the last Man standing. Yes its a speech maybe 70% of the Goalie practice every Morning infront a Mirror.

But that is what it is, Panthers won Games, where Loungo, Bon, Driedger and many other faced an Amount what never should happen but the get every Puck or less then 2 Goals.
Anderson for the Senators or Rask from Boston did that a lot against us and won the Game for the Team.
That comes from the Mentality i wanna win, i´m the last man Standing and Numbers prove that.

And if you watched Kinghts Yesterday he have the simular Rebound control as Loungo, hold the Puck dont let the Puck drop. Maybe he can hold this level maybe he will drop some.
But every Puck i secure is a denied second scoring chance.
And Goalies who doing all that stuff have also Numbers. Sorry Loungo doesnt had the best D infront him and had the Numbers, many other NHL Goalies faced the same Situation.
Numbers tell you a Story about, how a Goalie work on himself and what he stand.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

We faced the same Situation years ago and Goalies who wanna win, play over the Top to reach that. You me and every Panthers Fan already saw that the last Season, where Goalies won Games, with weak Defensman infront of him. That is not simple, that is a fact, NHL regular Season History.
That is not my thought what a Goalie should be do.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

I mean 0×∞ here isn’t it? We had a goalie who promised the ability to carry a dumpster fire defense on his head from time to time and paid him big money to do so. We also saw an underpaid overaged AHLer come in and actually do that.
I’m not a fan of blaming a goalie’s performance on the defense alone. We had atrocious defense for awesome stints by Luongo and Vokoun. Good goalies can still shine with average or better numbers behind bad defenses.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Most 1As wouldn't have done nearly as well behind the shit he has.
We have a few former Panthers floating around the league currently, Monty, Lyon, Dreiger, Levi, etc. I am not losing sleep over any of them.

They would not move the needle at all for our current squad.

Reactions: MaWa

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We have a few former Panthers floating around the league currently, Monty, Lyon, Dreiger, Levi, etc. I am not losing sleep over any of them.

They would not move the needle at all for our current squad.
Of course, but you know it's not about losing him as a Panther as far as I'm concerned.

I was super happy he went where he went, he's won over so many hard to win hearts over the last couple years.

He's an *all star* on a good team. He should've been their all star this year.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1706300871868.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad