Zaitsev with Rielly

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They should be looking to play him less not more.

Zaitsev’s underlining numbers have actually gotten a bit better the last 20 or so games, but that’s also part because he’s been getting more sheltered usage. It’s absolutely insane how underproductive he is considering he plays with Gardiner and on an offence of powerhouse like the leafs

Reactions: stickty111 and Kiwi

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
He should play centre then. I am talking about defensive DEFENDERS. I know he is great offensively.
Defensively he is solid if you look at the advanced stats. His CA/60 rel shot attempts are one of the best in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Right up there with Giordao, Tanev, Ekholm, etc. Sure he might cough up the puck a lot, but every defenseman does that, it's just that his look a lot bigger and happen at the worst times

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Defensively he is solid if you look at the advanced stats. His CA/60 rel shot attempts are one of the best in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Right up there with Giordao, Tanev, Ekholm, etc. Sure he might cough up the puck a lot, but every defenseman does that, it's just that his look a lot bigger and happen at the worst times
I am certainly not as smart as most of you guys that's for sure. I had to work hard for my Cs. I watch the Jets a lot (it is my 2nd fav team). I can't remember a defensive play like that one from a Jets defender. In fact I can't remember one from another Leaf defender either. I have seen many many blow byes and guys tripping but nothing like that one. I guess we can call it a Gards special.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would try it to see what it looks like.

It doesn't seem to be working now with Gardiner and if you demote him to the 3rd pair with Dermott, who like a lot, but can have his own messy moments in his own end as well. That does neither of them any good, particularly for Zaitsev.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I would try it to see what it looks like.

It doesn't seem to be working now with Gardiner and if you demote him to the 3rd pair with Dermott, who like a lot, but can have his own messy moments in his own end as well. That does neither of them any good, particularly for Zaitsev.

Gardiner has had a tough go and will always be a whipping boy in leafland but Dermott with Zaitsev is even scarier to me. Gardiner’s play the other night was obviously brutal but the blind backhand out front from Dermott that nearly ended up in the back of the net was awful too. Whoever plays with Zaitsev is going to turn the puck over because he can’t break out to save his life and his partner is then forced to do all the heavy lifting. Gardiner has performed well with every partner he has had over the last few years with the exception of Zaitsev. Rielly struggled with Zaitsev too, just most people forget about it because it was Z’s rookie year and he was playing so many minutes he got a pass. I agree they need to mix it up but the guy going down should be Zaitsev.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Ozhiganov
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Or give Rosen a look on the third pair and play Hainsey with Gardiner. Seems stupid for Toronto to go into this summer without getting a few different looks on the backend and Gardiner likely leaving. For all we know Zaitsev and Dermott as the 2nd pair could be a trainwreck.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They should be looking to play him less not more.

Zaitsev’s underlining numbers have actually gotten a bit better the last 20 or so games, but that’s also part because he’s been getting more sheltered usage. It’s absolutely insane how underproductive he is considering he plays with Gardiner and on an offence of powerhouse like the leafs

So that is why the Leafs have been losing so much recently... We need to play Zaitsev more, because clearly whoever is "sheltering" him is not doing a very good job. :sarcasm:

Reactions: diceman934

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I absolutely live this idea , lets put our 2 worst pmayers defensively together and watch the tire fire burn baby .The XBox experts have spiken Bobcock make it so .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How about we send Z to the Rangers for McQuaid ? This way you get rid of the contract, get some size and grit, get a new partner for Jake and it does not cost you your 1st or a roster player. Button mentioned Lovejoy but I prefer McQuaid and Rangers can afford the contract.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do people have short memories Zaitsev was horrible his first year. He got pp time on the first unit and got some points but was exposed playing against top players. He was a disaster he should be moved down to play on the bottom pair after we get a better D man in a trade.

Dubas was wrong again when he stated that our D was good. He needs to get at least one NHL D man and place one on waivers.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Do people have short memories Zaitsev was horrible his first year. He got pp time on the first unit and got some points but was exposed playing against top players. He was a disaster he should be moved down to play on the bottom pair after we get a better D man in a trade.

Dubas was wrong again when he stated that our D was good. He needs to get at least one NHL D man and place one on waivers.
Did Dubie sign Z? I think we need 2 NHL quality d men. with defensive skills.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How about we send Z to the Rangers for McQuaid ? This way you get rid of the contract, get some size and grit, get a new partner for Jake and it does not cost you your 1st or a roster player. Button mentioned Lovejoy but I prefer McQuaid and Rangers can afford the contract.
That would make my day. What are screwing over that would be. but I love it.

Reactions: ToneDog

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Focus should be on moving Dermott up the lineup.

If anything I would try Jake and Morgan together. Not sure who plays the right side though.

Let Hainsey work with Dermott to make him more responsible.

Drop Z down to third pair.

They do that when we are losing hockey games in the 3rd. Jake is usually on the right side, our team looks at its best at this point to be honest. We are missing a good pair of D, we have 3 good dmen but the rest are so horrid they MUST be split up or we just get blasted. Hoping for a big acquisition this season for the playoff push. Being able to bench 1-2 d in the late stages of a game would be such a benefit also benching them when they are playing poorly will bring some accountability.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s getting to the point where a move needs to be made. It’s been going in for years now.

Tavares-Matthews-Marner won’t be touched.

I really don’t want to move Kappy and I’m not sure if he brings back the level yet.

The 2 major pieces to address top 4 D are Kadri and Nylander.
Unless you are looking for a Jordie Benn or draft pick level help.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No Dubas said at the start of the year that our D were fine and underrated etc.
Every single GM says generic things like that. Remember Babs/Lou saying Phaneuf was a true leader and a highly underrated defenseman in the league. And then 4 months later they trade him. I mean lets not take that kinda statement too far.

Reactions: Menzinger

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Here's the problem I see with changing Rielly's partner and ultimately everyone's partner.

Rielly is having a career year and that is at least to some degree because he's been playing with Hainsey. It's been said in the media/public that Hainsey's leadership has been helping Rielly develop.

At the same time, one of the reasons Rielly is looking so good offensively is because he's given more freedom to roam knowing he has Hainsey back there to cover. While I agree Ron is playing higher up in the pairings than he should be, do we really trust someone like Zaitsev or Jake to fill that role and be a true stay at home d-man. Personally I don't trust either of them in any zone let alone their own.

While Dermott is improving, I feel like his growth could be stunted if we were to put him on the top pairing as he would start to get exposed playing against the oppositions best lines every night.

One reason he's been excelling is because he's down on the 3rd line mainly playing against weaker opposition. We saw a small glimpse of it in the 3rd period. Babcock moved Jake down and Dermott up and him and Zaitsev got burned bad on the 3rd goal (I think it was the 3rd).

Let him transition to 2nd pairing when he's ready which ultimately should let him grow into hopefully a solid top 4 defenseman.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Every single GM says generic things like that. Remember Babs/Lou saying Phaneuf was a true leader and a highly underrated defenseman in the league. And then 4 months later they trade him. I mean lets not take that kinda statement too far.
lol. He meant it which is a big difference as he volunteered the info it was not an answers to a question. Dubas speaks in absolutes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
lol. He meant it which is a big difference as he volunteered the info it was not an answers to a question. Dubas speaks in absolutes.
Maybe he meant it. or maybe he has an even better poker face. LOL. I guess I don't believe it myself so I don't think Dubie would either.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Maybe he meant it. or maybe he has an even better poker face. LOL. I guess I don't believe it myself so I don't think Dubie would either.
He meant it. Which is a huge concern. We need a D man who can playing from out side out our organization and Rosen called up and waivers be sought on Marincin and Holl. Rosen is better then half our current D man and both who sit in the press box.

Reactions: Bluelines

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Zaitsev is the worst of of the bunch. It looks like our GM notices he is one of the problems on the defence. Gardiner is our 2nd best d man. Defensively, he is also our best d man.
The people that say Zaitsev is better really need to get some knowledge on these players and hockey.

Gardiner makes some turnovers? He is terrible and needs to be replaced!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Focus should be on moving Dermott up the lineup.

If anything I would try Jake and Morgan together. Not sure who plays the right side though.

Let Hainsey work with Dermott to make him more responsible.

Drop Z down to third pair.

The talk on Leafs Lunch was Dermott will be top 4 before seasons end, with the thought next year Sandin will be with the big club. LeBrun implied that the Leafs are actively talking to teams about picking up a top 4. Andi said that Dubas has already said he thought Lilly would have been competing for a top 6 spot by now but his high ankle sprain delayed those timelines. ( I agree with her take) Lilly is apparently on a conditioning stint and will be back with the Marlies soon. I would not be surprised to see Lilly with the big team before the end of Feb. If we take that statement by Dubas a little further, Lilly is a righty, Z and Oz are righties, it would mean Oz sits and Lilly plays and depending on how Lilly well plays Z drops to the 3rd pair and Lilly is then paired with Jake. Next year a Dermott Lilly 3/4 pairing would be possible. The discussion also mentioned that Sandin has played so well he will probably be up next year, he is a lefty so on the Left we will have Rielly/Dermott/Sandin, on the Right we have ???/Lilly/Z.

Of note Rielly a lefty playing with a lefty (Hainsey), IMO the righty lefty thing is overblown, I would like for the best skilled guy to play, to force a good player to play further down in the line up just because you are stuck on a righty lefty philosophy is only hurting yourself. Like if Dermott is good enough to bump Z down the lineup, he should be able to do so based on quality of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad