Zaitsev with Rielly

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
The top 4 could use a shakeup and Z has worked with Rielly before, he could return to his rookie year form at least. Meanwhile Hainsey gets demoted to the second or third pairing where he should have been in the first place and Gardiner can get an opportunity to play with someone who fits better with him than Zaitsev

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think it's a good idea to increase his minutes but maybe having a partner who's better defensively would help him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
GaZa gets broken up only if we get a #3/4 D in a trade.
or at the end of the season when Jake moves on.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Focus should be on moving Dermott up the lineup.

If anything I would try Jake and Morgan together. Not sure who plays the right side though.

Let Hainsey work with Dermott to make him more responsible.

Drop Z down to third pair.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So that he can abandon Rielly the way he abandons Gardiner? Don't think that's a solution.

but rielly is massively better than gardiner, it could work.

Basically gardiner and Zaitsev can not be a thing anymore something needs to happen

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Focus should be on moving Dermott up the lineup.

If anything I would try Jake and Morgan together. Not sure who plays the right side though.

Let Hainsey work with Dermott to make him more responsible.

Drop Z down to third pair.

gardiner has brain farts on his natural side imagine adding in the element of being on his opposite side. Im not keen to see that, And Rielly is having a career year on his natural side don't change that now

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if we are keeping Gardiner as a "own rental" then put him on the bottom pair.
Rielly-zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Gardiner-Oz

I think Rielly can cover Zaitsev and dermott has earned a promotion. hainsey can be that vet presence for him and in turn play less mins too

Reactions: Griffin76

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Without any other personnel moving in or out, if they move Hainsey out of that spot, Dermott would be the guy they put in there.
I think.

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
I think Zaitsev should be playing on the third paring, guy only has 3 points and him and gardiner together struggle to get the puck on goal. Eventually i think the best think to do would be to trade Zaitsev after this season and promote dermott and have an player from the ahl in the line-up. Not sure about gardiner tho.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
but rielly is massively better than gardiner, it could work.

Basically gardiner and Zaitsev can not be a thing anymore something needs to happen
Its worth a try at least. Dubas should still trade Gardiner and not try to keep him for a tiny chance at a cup run.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Zaitsev is struggling worst than Hainsey, if you can believe it, but at least he can skate.

Worth noting that Zaitsev, and I've mentioned this before, doesn't have a primary point since November of 2017. Even by pure luck players get a primary assist somehow.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its worth a try at least. Dubas should still trade Gardiner and not try to keep him for a tiny chance at a cup run.

oh im firmly on the trade gardiner train too, as long as he has another top4 D lined up. Not necessarily for gardiner, but maybe garidner to a western contender for a 1st and prospect (Edmonton?) and then we use a 1st prospect + for another top4 D who is more stable

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why the f*ck would you ever even think of putting your worst defense man with your best defense man and f*ck up your best guy. And he would have to play more so the team will be worse off. Zaitsev has to go. Gards has to go. Bottom line both suck. We need to rebuild our defense. It really really sucks that our defense is so so bad in a year where our forwards are ready for the Cup run. I do not have the fix it answers but I know those 2 guys are terrible defenders.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would play OZ with Rielly 30 minutes a night and Dermott with Hainsey on 2nd unit. Gards and Zaitsev only get out on offensive zone faceoffs. And Gards plays all the PP minutes. I like Rielly better but I need Rielly's minutes more in 5 on 5 hockey. Gards has similar offensive skills so I would give him ice time on PP. Also maybe it gets me a little more for Gards in a package to some offensive minded GM who will see the tremendous skills on Gards and look past the defense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Zaitsev will have to get buried in the minors next year. I would try to trade him but no one is stupid enough to take him. We are stuck with him and his useless defensive play.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
gardiner has brain farts on his natural side imagine adding in the element of being on his opposite side. Im not keen to see that, And Rielly is having a career year on his natural side don't change that now

My initial thought would be to play Gardiner in his proper side and see how Rielly handles the other side. If it doesn't work and he becomes ineffective, then you try something else.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My initial thought would be to play Gardiner in his proper side and see how Rielly handles the other side. If it doesn't work and he becomes ineffective, then you try something else.

id be very very cautious about doing anything that could effect Rielly right now, he is essentially our only dman we can truly trust. Moving him sides could affect his timing or confidence or anything. f*** Gardiner and helping Gardiner out at the expense of anything negative happening to rielly. Of course it could work but why take that risk for a player we aren't going to resign

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Oz-Zaitsev

Try that at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad