Weekes: Zadorov requested a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Zadarov for Klingberg as the basis.
Do you really think the Flames are trading one of there trade chips in a down season (so far) for an older, worse defensive player going into free agency and with a higher cap hit? If Klingberg is in the deal, the + to the Flames is significant.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do you really think the Flames are trading one of there trade chips in a down season (so far) for an older, worse defensive player going into free agency and with a higher cap hit? If Klingberg is in the deal, the + to the Flames is significant.

Do you really think anybody in the current cap situation with the league, is going to make a trade, without having to send cap back? Everyone is in the same situation, so it's part of the current landscape... the good thing about Klingberg is he's currently only owed about $1.75 mil in real dollars, so taking him on, is likely cheaper in real dollars, than most of the other cap back options. In a down year, swapping him for Zadorov, saves your owner around$1.5-1.75 mil in real dollars.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
A player requesting a trade doesn’t have any leverage when the team he’s playing for isn’t competitive. If he wants to mail it in or sit out, the Flames would be fine with that. They’ll be in no rush to deal him.
I disagree. A 28 year old #4/5 dman with physical tools will have teams interested. A trade request will reduce what a team is will offer because they know the player wants out and his current team is best to move him even if it isn't for 100% value. If the team doesn't like the value of the offers they are more than welcome to keep him until the off season but the team loses out on assets and the player while unhappy still leaves at the end of the season and signs elsewhere. If Calgary wants to salvage any value from this season so far - trading Z for assets, even if its less than they want id better than having a malcontent in the locker room and lose him for nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you really think anybody in the current cap situation with the league, is going to make a trade, without having to send cap back? Everyone is in the same situation, so it's part of the current landscape... the good thing about Klingberg is he's currently only owed about $1.75 mil in real dollars, so taking him on, is likely cheaper in real dollars, than most of the other cap back options. In a down year, swapping him for Zadorov, saves your owner around$1.5-1.75 mil in real dollars.
Have you considered that the issue is your post?

You literally stated "Zadorov for Klingberg as the basis"

If you'd said "Zadorov for X as the basis, and Klingberg coming back as a cap dump" people would have reacted differently.

As it stands Klingberg has zero value for the Flames and since he makes more than Zadorov, it actually hampers the Flames as they are using LTIR and have very limited cap space. Most of us understand some cap has to come back, but that comes after the "basis" for the trade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Have you considered that the issue is your post?

You literally stated "Zadorov for Klingberg as the basis"

If you'd said "Zadorov for X as the basis, and Klingberg coming back as a cap dump" people would have reacted differently.

As it stands Klingberg has zero value for the Flames and since he makes more than Zadorov, it actually hampers the Flames as they are using LTIR and have very limited cap space. Most of us understand some cap has to come back, but that comes after the "basis" for the trade.

Logic would dictate people would understand that. I'm not going to propose X prospect, and Y picks, as nobody ever agrees anyway. Cap can always be withheld to even things out as well. These are minutia details, but in the end, the two bodies would be Zadorov and Klingberg swapping, Bottom line, this is the forum of nitpicking.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I disagree. A 28 year old #4/5 dman with physical tools will have teams interested. A trade request will reduce what a team is will offer because they know the player wants out and his current team is best to move him even if it isn't for 100% value. If the team doesn't like the value of the offers they are more than welcome to keep him until the off season but the team loses out on assets and the player while unhappy still leaves at the end of the season and signs elsewhere. If Calgary wants to salvage any value from this season so far - trading Z for assets, even if its less than they want id better than having a malcontent in the locker room and lose him for nothing.
They’ll keep him until the deadline when value always increases because contenders will bid against one another. Plus by that point in the season the cap is irrelevant.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Logic would dictate people would understand that. I'm not going to propose X prospect, and Y picks, as nobody ever agrees anyway. Cap can always be withheld to even things out as well. These are minutia details, but in the end, the two bodies would be Zadorov and Klingberg swapping, Bottom line, this is the forum of nitpicking.
Logic doesn't dictate reading your mind when there are tons of stupid shit posted here daily.

You literally described every pending UFA

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Logic doesn't dictate reading your mind when there are tons of stupid shit posted here daily.

I mean it isn't a reach to figure out that's what he meant. I'm certain everyone that watches hockey knows Klingberg has no value to anyone. It's logical to come to his conclusion. But whatever makes you feel better.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Calgary needs to be worried about getting assets not trading away a 28 year old D man making $3.75 for a 31 year old lesser Dman making $4.15.

If you look at deals, I agree some cap will be included but not more cap than the player you are moving out for a lesser player also in the last year of their deal. It is total asset mismanagement to include Klingberg in a deal unless the Leafs are paying to move Klingberg and paying to acquire Z. But that seems like too much for the Leafs to cough up for a 3rd paring D.

every pending UFA requests a trade at the beginning of November....?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can't really blame him i guess. Can't imagine the mood is all that great in the Flames room these days. He also doesn't really have a likely future in Calgary. Not at the sort of long-term significant money he's likely after. Especially not with the Flames future direction looking...uncertain to say the least.

Still feels like a better fit with Toronto than Vancouver to me, among teams apparently linked to interest in him.

Toronto could really use his physical edge on the blueline. Vancouver has already invested in a couple similar-ish guys in Cole and Soucy. Which i suppose means they might do so again, especially for a Milstein client. But it's also tougher to figure exactly where he'd fit for Vancouver. Though it also depends on how healthy they are, and if they could find a way to dump Myers in the deal going the other way. But i still think Tanev makes more sense for the Canucks, between the various Flames D on the block.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
every pending UFA requests a trade at the beginning of November....?
Just because someone has requested a trade doesn't mean you have to rush a trade, especially when they are a pending UFA because they need to play well to secure that bag.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I loved Z when he was o the Av's. However, I wish I had a YouTube clip of goal highlights when the opposing team scores and he's the Dman out of position or making a bad read. It would be a very long clip.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I loved Z when he was o the Av's. However, I wish I had a YouTube clip of goal highlights when the opposing team scores and he's the Dman out of position or making a bad read. It would be a very long clip.
Blackhawks fans would say the same.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was like that at first in Calgary too, but Sutter and Huska helped him iron a lot of that out of his game. Enough that I would have Z above Tanev on our depth chat and thought he should be playing the 2nd pairing with Weegar.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know how Canuck fans view Don Taylor, but according to Don Taylor the Flames don't want to send him to Vancouver because they are a division rival.

Don't know if It's true but it wouldn't surprise me that does seem to matter a lot of times.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
You pay to get rid of Klingberg then you pay for Zadorov.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know how Canuck fans view Don Taylor, but according to Don Taylor the Flames don't want to send him to Vancouver because they are a division rival.

Don't know if It's true but it wouldn't surprise me that does seem to matter a lot of times.
Don Taylor is an idiot. He wouldn't have the inside scoop of his own shoes being untied.

The whole trading within the division thing is generally only an issue for players with term or younger players with lots of team control left.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
CGY is probably not going to waste a retention slot on Zadorov so the only alternative will be to take back cap at a 1:1 basis otherwise few teams would have the capspace to make a deal. Or CGY takes a weaker deal because they are against taking back an expiring contract for no good reason. He is their least valuable asset of the 4 guys that CGY needs to unload who are on expiring contracts. They can save those slots to get a better return on Hanafin, Lindholm, Tanev. That said he is probably worth what Luke Schenn cost last year - 3rd round pick. If you take back a contract, probably only gets you an extra 4th-5th round pick. That said you never know what the market will look like at the TDL. If there are few sellers that price could go up!

Reactions: Ciao

JackTColton

Feb 7, 2021

Jeez, that’d be a nice fit in VAN..

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What do Flames fans think they are getting back for a 3rd pairing D man who has made a trade demand. Like seriously… they think they are getting a top 10 player in the league in Willy Nylander. Get real!

No team is even gonna give up a 2nd rounder for him.

He's only 28.
He's 6'6
He hits like a truck
He skates incredibly well
He scored 14 goals last year
He has an xGF% of over 55% in a flames uniform.
He has a CF% of over 59% in a flames uniform.

He's everything you want in a #4/5 defensemen and has only gotten better over the past few years.. All defensemen in the NHL make mistakes.. especially mid pair guys. His skillset and intangibles are widely sought after.

He's not some 33 year old who is a complete possession anchor like Luke Schenn was/is. If Conroy doesn't get at the very least a 2nd round pick (in value) back for Zadorov then he has failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad