Recalled/Assigned: Zadorov and Bigras Recalled from San Antonio | Gormley Sent To SA

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Only 5 more games until Rantanen can't hit the 40 game mark in the NHL this season. Just like we saw Zadorov and Bigras called up today, I think Rantanen gets another look soon to see if he can help solve the wing issues.

I know I am in the minority but before he broke his leg Rendulic looked really good, fast great hands the complete deal although not mentally ready.. needed time to develop.. hopefully he is still an asset

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Only 5 more games until Rantanen can't hit the 40 game mark in the NHL this season. Just like we saw Zadorov and Bigras called up today, I think Rantanen gets another look soon to see if he can help solve the wing issues.

I think the second he can't hit 40 games, he's called up...Also anyone know if Zads can be sent back down without clearing waivers?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I know when the Flames called up Bennett to play in Game 3 last year it DID count as a 10th game that burned a year off his ELC, so I would imagine it would count towards the UFA years also.

Also I'm 99% sure Zads still doesn't have to pass through waivers yet.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
We're getting all excited for Zads and Bigras, what will our reaction be tomorrow when they get benched after making one mistake and Bodnarchuk ends up with over 20 minutes of ice time?

I really hope that both guys come up and absolutely force Roy to play them, because we know if they are perfect Roy will bench them in favour of a lesser talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think we have to worry about that :laugh:

Really?! The Avs are tied for the final spot with a team that is floundering.

In any case, I'm pretty certain they don't. Since a lot of teams call up their youngins come playoff time.

I think the games can account for an accrued season. It is unlikely the Avs get out of the first round, but it isn't impossible either. So preparing for 14 games there probably isn't the worst idea in the world.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know it really doesn't matter what Roy says anymore but he did say Bigras and Zadorov are the future of the team today.

Really odd moment when Frei asked is "the goalie" is getting ready to be activated and Roy was like "uh I don't know, I'm not worried about goaltending".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We're getting all excited for Zads and Bigras, what will our reaction be tomorrow when they get benched after making one mistake and Bodnarchuk ends up with over 20 minutes of ice time?

Both Bigras and Z shouldn't go over ~15-16 minutes tomorrow, especially Bigras. If that means Bodnarchuk gets 20... I'm 100% okay with that.

Really odd moment when Frei asked is "the goalie" is getting ready to be activated and Roy was like "uh I don't know, I'm not worried about goaltending".

That was weird... I think it threw Roy off that Frei couldn't remember Berra's name.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I really hope that both guys come up and absolutely force Roy to play them, because we know if they are perfect Roy will bench them in favour of a lesser talent.

Yeah I asked this question in Free-agent/general discussion thread, probably the wrong one.

I really hope he does not yank them to the bench for making mistakes. He has to know there will be a combination of good and bad, but our point is development/experience + good + bad adds up to more than Bad + Bad lol. I hope Roy keeps that in mind.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Both Bigras and Z shouldn't go over ~15-16 minutes tomorrow, especially Bigras. If that means Bodnarchuk gets 20... I'm 100% okay with that.

That was weird... I think it threw Roy off that Frei couldn't remember Berra's name.

Yeah they won't get huge minutes but Roy really can't baby both especially if they don't get paired together, which they shouldn't. I guess the bench could shorten if it's close. We know Zadorov can play minutes just fine so he shouldn't be extremely limited.

I know, I was like THE GOALIE?

That Zadorov tweet is hysterical. I hadn't noticed he changed his avi and everything to Avs, it was pretty recent.

It's going to take 2 injuries minimum to get Rantanen up here. When that happens then we'll see.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah they won't get huge minutes but Roy really can't baby both especially if they don't get paired together, which they shouldn't. I guess the bench could shorten if it's close. We know Zadorov can play minutes just fine so he shouldn't be extremely limited.

I know, I was like THE GOALIE?

That Zadorov tweet is hysterical. I hadn't noticed he changed his avi and everything to Avs, it was pretty recent.

It's going to take 2 injuries minimum to get Rantanen up here. When that happens then we'll see.

In the end, I think there is a slight rotation where Barrie double shifts occasionally. We probably see Holden, Barrie, and Beauch all over 24-25 (Barrie probably gets close to 30) minutes while Bigras, Zadorov, and Bodnarchuk/Redmond all get ~15. Out of the latter 3, I'm expecting Z to get the most minutes. I just don't think they should pile them on in the first game.

I think we see Rantanen sometime in Feb. It might be only for a few games, but I think they will see what he has in the NHL before they go looking to shore up before the deadline.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I'm fine with them getting limited minutes, I'm not fine with it if he benches them after making a mistake. It took Guenin 2 years of really shoddy play before he was really punished for it, the kids should get some leeway at least.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Agreed. Tanguay is not going to sit for anybody, and Martinsen is clearly here to stay for the season. One injury, they add Wagner. Two (long term), they call up Rantanen. As much as it would be fun to see him play and we all want Marty and Tangs to sit, it won't happen.

I third the sentiment that I hope Roy gives Zads and Biggie a long leash. Yes, they will be shaky, but you have to give them the minutes sometime. Might as well be now rather than next October/November for them to make those mistakes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm fine with them getting limited minutes, I'm not fine with it if he benches them after making a mistake. It took Guenin 2 years of really shoddy play before he was really punished for it, the kids should get some leeway at least.

Yeah there is a clear difference between limited minutes and being taken out of the rotation/benched for a mistake.

Edit : Btw... People have reassured me that Bigras does not have issues with the physical side of the game, but I'll be curious to see this for myself. Hes still listed as 190lbs, of course that number is rarely accurate.

MacK is listed at 195lbs, but said at the start of the season hes almost 210lbs now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Guenin has been sat a number of times over the years...

You simply can't treat all players the same. It just isn't that easy, nor should it be. Young talented players especially shouldn't be allowed to make constant mistakes without some coaching or consequence. You can still attempt to break the bad habits. With a Guenin type, those habits are so ingrained and the talent is so limited... it is more they just can't do certain things. With a Zadorov... it isn't a talent issue as he has every tool, it is mental. Roy has to not let the mistakes cause him to make an emotional decision, but overall, I'd say he has done a good job with that over the years. Grigs is the only young player I would say he has been exceptionally hard on, but with the history there, I'd say Roy knows what he is doing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Guenin has been sat a number of times over the years...

You simply can't treat all players the same. It just isn't that easy, nor should it be. Young talented players especially shouldn't be allowed to make constant mistakes without some coaching or consequence. You can still attempt to break the bad habits. With a Guenin type, those habits are so ingrained and the talent is so limited... it is more they just can't do certain things. With a Zadorov... it isn't a talent issue as he has every tool, it is mental. Roy has to not let the mistakes cause him to make an emotional decision, but overall, I'd say he has done a good job with that over the years. Grigs is the only young player I would say he has been exceptionally hard on, but with the history there, I'd say Roy knows what he is doing.

I thought he was just as strict with Zadorov as he is with Greg, maybe even more so within the sample size IMO.

He definitely nailed Zadorov to the bench a few times.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I thought he was just as strict with Zadorov as he is with Greg, maybe even more so within the sample size IMO.

He definitely nailed Zadorov to the bench a few times.

Small sample size and the story really didn't play out like that. He was stapled twice... once a few games before his demotion, and he had an opportunity the next game with minutes and then he followed that his really horrendous game and demotion. I don't think it was a mistake that stapled him to the bench. It was more that Zadorov needed seasoning and Roy couldn't give it to him while trying to get the team off to a good start (which Zadorov had a part in the bad start).

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Small sample size and the story really didn't play out like that. He was stapled twice... once a few games before his demotion, and he had an opportunity the next game with minutes and then he followed that his really horrendous game and demotion. I don't think it was mistake and stapled to the bench with him. It was more that Zadorov needed seasoning and Roy couldn't give it to him while trying to get the team off to a good start (which Zadorov had a part in the bad start).

Fair enough, his last game before going down sticks out I guess.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know if he's been so hard on Greg, he keeps playing at least, he gets PK time too. I know we wish he'd be given a bit more but he's at least getting used.

Yeah I don't have any problem with the way hes handling Greg, there has not been much in the way of benching. He just lowers and increases his minutes based on how his line is playing.

It's just difficult because Tanguay is so bad

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Greg will get his chance once Tangs goes away for good. And I like Tangs but its time for him to go.
I bet if they do resign Grigs (and i fully expect them to do) he'll have a full year of experience to draw from and will flourish full time with Mack next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad