Recalled/Assigned: Zadorov and Bigras Recalled from San Antonio | Gormley Sent To SA

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
We're getting all excited for Zads and Bigras, what will our reaction be tomorrow when they get benched after making one mistake and Bodnarchuk ends up with over 20 minutes of ice time?

I really hope that both guys come up and absolutely force Roy to play them, because we know if they are perfect Roy will bench them in favour of a lesser talent.

you are seriously negative

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
In the end, I think there is a slight rotation where Barrie double shifts occasionally. We probably see Holden, Barrie, and Beauch all over 24-25 (Barrie probably gets close to 30) minutes while Bigras, Zadorov, and Bodnarchuk/Redmond all get ~15. Out of the latter 3, I'm expecting Z to get the most minutes. I just don't think they should pile them on in the first game.

I think we see Rantanen sometime in Feb. It might be only for a few games, but I think they will see what he has in the NHL before they go looking to shore up before the deadline.

your math is off there some
15x 3 45
30 for Barrie is 75
2 x 25 75
150 minutes is a long long game... as usually we have 2 d men at 60 for a total of 120 minutes....

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
your math is off there some
15x 3 45
30 for Barrie is 75
2 x 25 75
150 minutes is a long long game... as usually we have 2 d men at 60 for a total of 120 minutes....

2 x 25 = 75, might be the most inadvertently funny thing I've ever read here.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Can we stop acting like Patrick is blind and stupid now please? He knows Guenin sucks, and Zadorov and Bigras are better, but they had a plan in place. Unfortunately, EJ's absence and Guenin/Redmond may cost them a playoff spot if they keep losing, so they had to forgo the long term plan for a short term one.

I hope Stuart is back soon. I hate the idea of one of Zads or Bigras playing with Redmond or Bodnarchuk. They both need a vet defensive D, to talk to them, and let them play their game with the puck. Bigras with Beauch giving them the tougher matchups of the two, and Zads with Stuart.

Yeah, this. Please.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It would be better for development if Zadorov and Bigras stayed where they are and the roles they played, but even if they're not NHL ready they're still better option than Guenin, Redmond and Bondarchuk

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Can we stop acting like Patrick is blind and stupid now please? He knows Guenin sucks, and Zadorov and Bigras are better, but they had a plan in place. Unfortunately, EJ's absence and Guenin/Redmond may cost them a playoff spot if they keep losing, so they had to forgo the long term plan for a short term one.

I hope Stuart is back soon. I hate the idea of one of Zads or Bigras playing with Redmond or Bodnarchuk. They both need a vet defensive D, to talk to them, and let them play their game with the puck. Bigras with Beauch giving them the tougher matchups of the two, and Zads with Stuart.

My hope is that in forgoing a long-term plan in place of attempting to get short-term gains, doesn't end up hurting in the aforementioned "long-term".

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
As long as Roy is willing to give the kids decent minutes while they are up here, I don't think it'll negatively affect the long-term. It's a question with Roy because of how he's handled many young players not named MacKinnon, but I don't think Zadorov and Bigras have been called up to ride the pine... we'll see though. He has to give them a little room to grow into being on the big club... if he benches them when they make mistakes because he thinks it'll be better for them to watch rather than learn from experience, that could be counter productive to long term goals. But hopefully the very fact that they've been called up is an indication he's willing to fuse short-term and long-term goals.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The long term plan was a bad plan. This one is better. I understand they're trying not to put too much pressure on the youngsters, but this season is pretty much a lost cause. Better to get their NHL minutes up here when it doesn't matter than next season and cause another disastrous October. Roy needs to learn that ability > experience, I'm glad he's finally realizing that a little bit.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The long term plan was a bad plan. This one is better. I understand they're trying not to put too much pressure on the youngsters, but this season is pretty much a lost cause. Better to get their NHL minutes up here when it doesn't matter than next season and cause another disastrous October. Roy needs to learn that ability > experience, I'm glad he's finally realizing that a little bit.

Uh no its not.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Season is a lost cause? Might want to check the standings.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It's like you thought to yourself "What can I say that is not just 100% wrong, but makes people go 'Wha?'"

The season isn't lost, at this juncture. They're tied for the last wildcard spot, and there's plenty of games left.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Maybe we make the playoffs, maybe we don't. But if we play like we have the last couple of games, we're getting swept in the first round anyway. Whether we're in the postseason or not, we need to be focusing on next season now, when we're in a position to contend. I don't think it's prudent to just assume that a whole season in SA will magically make Bigras and Zadorov ready to be penciled into the lineup on opening day next year. Stopgaps like Redmond and Guenin are bad for both now and the future because they delay the NHL development of our future stars.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Maybe we make the playoffs, maybe we don't. But if we play like we have the last couple of games, we're getting swept in the first round anyway. Whether we're in the postseason or not, we need to be focusing on next season now, when we're in a position to contend. I don't think it's prudent to just assume that a whole season in SA will magically make Bigras and Zadorov ready to be penciled into the lineup on opening day next year. Stopgaps like Redmond and Guenin are bad for both now and the future because they delay the NHL development of our future stars.

Well sure. What if they play like they played the three games prior? I know sports fans are not allowed to have long term memories, but...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well sure. What if they play like they played the three games prior? I know sports fans are not allowed to have long term memories, but...

If is a big word there. Like I said, maybe we pull it together, maybe we don't, but I'm not holding my breath just because they've been my team for 20 years. I give us a 50-50 shot at the postseason. We need to win and Nashville needs to lose. We'll see.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Avs are out of time and clearly won't be making a playoff push. I think we should have a fire sale now and start thinking about the 2019 draft. :sarcasm:

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
If is a big word there. Like I said, maybe we pull it together, maybe we don't, but I'm not holding my breath just because they've been my team for 20 years. I give us a 50-50 shot at the postseason. We need to win and Nashville needs to lose. We'll see.

So "if" is a bigger word in context with them playing like they did to get back into the post season mix than it is "if" they play like they did the last two games? I assume your "50-50 shot" is effectively backing out of the "lost cause" statement? It's probably safe to assume the majority of observers who do not consider the season a lost cause are not giving them a better shot than that.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Avs are out of time and clearly won't be making a playoff push. I think we should have a fire sale now and start thinking about the 2019 draft. :sarcasm:

For sure. Logan Barlage is a local kid and has Avs size already(6'3 185 as a 15 yr old). I could get a bunch of signed Avs stuff for free if we draft him :naughty:

:sarcasm:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So "if" is a bigger word in context with them playing like they did to get back into the post season mix than it is "if" they play like they did the last two games? I assume your "50-50 shot" is effectively backing out of the "lost cause" statement? It's probably safe to assume the majority of observers who do not consider the season a lost cause are not giving them a better shot than that.

So you'd be happy with the last wild card spot and 0-4 in the playoffs? Meh. I'd consider that just about the same as missing them altogether. I'd rather lose today with Bigras and Zadorov getting minutes than make a playoff spot with Guenin and Redmond on the squad and exit in the first round. We have a shot soon, but not this year.

It's not just short-term memory, either. We have a season and a half now of playing well below our potential as a team more often than not for historical reference. We haven't seen the kind of character and structure that a playoff-bound team shows for quite a while now. We're also in a historically tough division, and we still have barely played the Blues and the Stars. So just because we are tied for the last wild card spot doesn't mean I'm going to feel super excited for the rest of the season's potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad