Recalled/Assigned: Zadorov and Bigras Recalled from San Antonio | Gormley Sent To SA

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No room for shades of grey in your thinkin', eh?

The two likely conference champions are the Stars and the Hawks. If you honestly think either of those teams couldn't annihilate us in the playoffs, your glasses are more rose-colored than Elton John's.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The two likely conference champions are the Stars and the Hawks. If you honestly think either of those teams couldn't annihilate us in the playoffs, your glasses are more rose-colored than Elton John's.

IMO even if we were to get annihilated in the first round, there would be a lot of benefits from having a bunch of pressure filled meaningful games throughout the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

There is nothing I actually wrote that would indicate what I'm thinking along those lines. Given your responses I'm not entirely certain we are even having the same conversation.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There is nothing I actually wrote that would indicate what I'm thinking along those lines. Given your responses I'm not entirely certain we are even having the same conversation.

I took it to mean you thought we had a chance to win something in the playoffs. What did you mean by shades of grey then?

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I don't think the season is a lost cause and I think making the playoffs would be a good thing for this young team, that doesn't mean I'd be happy with getting anihilated in a playoff sweep. But that would be better than being a lottery team. That's where grey comes in. I also happen to not be one of these svengali wanna be delusional sports observers who thinks they know exactly how the future will unfold, so there's that. I'm perfectly content to admit I don't know.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I give us a 50-50 shot at the postseason. We need to win and Nashville needs to lose. We'll see.
#Analysis

There's plenty of benefits to making the playoffs, even if they aren't going to win. The core players on this team need to play in important games. They haven't been in enough yet.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A decent pick in this draft wouldn't be a bad thing either. This draft class has a lot of winger talent in it, and that's a big positional need for us. I don't think we even need to win Puljujarvi to get something good here in the first round this year. One more entry to our top six and we are a damn good team going forward. That doesn't mean I'd be crushed NOT to get a top ten pick in this draft, but it's not like it would hurt us either.

I'm also not convinced that one playoff series is going to help much, especially if we're unprepared for it. A series like the last one against the Wild might be nice because we contended for most of it. But we are not that team anymore, and getting crushed might not be good mentally. Our likely opponents are so far above us in terms of talent that I can't even dream we'd win two games and make a fight of it.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Another theory I have is that maybe roy/sakic don't want to create any bad feelings by calling up only one of two capable defencemen. Maybe if only bigris was called up it would cause some resentment with zadorov because he feels he is just as ready. This way they can fight for a spot while both given an equal chance to earn a spot to stay in the lineup.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
A decent pick in this draft wouldn't be a bad thing either. This draft class has a lot of winger talent in it, and that's a big positional need for us. I don't think we even need to win Puljujarvi to get something good here in the first round this year. One more entry to our top six and we are a damn good team going forward. That doesn't mean I'd be crushed NOT to get a top ten pick in this draft, but it's not like it would hurt us either.

I'm also not convinced that one playoff series is going to help much, especially if we're unprepared for it. A series like the last one against the Wild might be nice because we contended for most of it. But we are not that team anymore, and getting crushed might not be good mentally. Our likely opponents are so far above us in terms of talent that I can't even dream we'd win two games and make a fight of it.
I seriously doubt there's going to be that huge a drop off in talent from the 12th pick to say the 16/17th pick. People were so worried about the Avs winning those last few games of the year last season and they still ended up with a top notch talent in Rantanen, who they probably would have picked if they lost those games and picked higher.

If you think losing in the playoffs would hurt them mentally, what do you think missing the playoffs again would do? I just don't understand your logic here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Another theory I have is that maybe roy/sakic don't want to create any bad feelings by calling up only one of two capable defencemen. Maybe if only bigris was called up it would cause some resentment with zadorov because he feels he is just as ready. This way they can fight for a spot while both given an equal chance to earn a spot to stay in the lineup.

I like that theory. In the long run, they're not really competing for a spot, there's room for both. But short term, that may not be the way they look at it. With Rychel and Drouin both loudly complaining about not getting a "fair shot", you don't want to risk key pieces following suit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If you think losing in the playoffs would hurt them mentally, what do you think missing the playoffs again would do? I just don't understand your logic here.

I can see your point there. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. I won't be heartbroken by either outcome.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They'll never contend without experience, you have to walk before you run. There has to be positive signs for their core and the way they are building or else they really could just completely blow it up. There is nothing wrong with winning even if they never win the Cup, which they very well may never do again regardless.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They'll never contend without experience, you have to walk before you run. There has to be positive signs for their core and the way they are building or else they really could just completely blow it up. There is nothing wrong with winning even if they never win the Cup, which they very well may never do again regardless.

I'm actually a little bullish on the Cup. A LOT of things have to go right in the salary cap era for that to happen, but despite my pessimism for the season I think we can at least make a very legitimate challenge for it with this young core once we get our defense sorted out.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I am glad that Guenin has been waived. His horrible play has been tolerated for way too long. But I won't hold my breath until he is actually send down (I can't see anyone picking him up). I am not convinced we have his last game as an Av. Sadly. I hope the kids play well enough to keep him away from the team. I honestly think that they were recalled because Roy finally had enough after the last two games. I mean you battle back into play spot and then come up with two terrible efforts in a row. He had to react in my view. Both to send signal and to try to avoid a further slide. EJ's injury of course was the underlying cause, which enabled the turn of events.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I seriously doubt there's going to be that huge a drop off in talent from the 12th pick to say the 16/17th pick. People were so worried about the Avs winning those last few games of the year last season and they still ended up with a top notch talent in Rantanen, who they probably would have picked if they lost those games and picked higher.

Actually there is a big drop off after the top 11. 1 or more might drop like Barzal but don't count on it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Actually there is a big drop off after the top 11. 1 or more might drop like Barzal but don't count on it.
Somebody drops every year, so I'll probably count on it. Wasn't just Barzal last year.

Hope people keep their expectations in check with both Zadorov and Bigras. They're currently the 4th and 5th youngest defensemen in the NHL at the moment.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Somebody drops every year, so I'll probably count on it. Wasn't just Barzal last year.

Hope people keep their expectations in check with both Zadorov and Bigras. They're currently the 4th and 5th youngest defensemen in the NHL at the moment.

You're probably right. But I'm giving one game to be giddy before I go back to earth. I've wanted very little more this season than having the young guys brought up and drop some of the dead weight.

It finally happened, all at once too. I hope Zads and Bigras do well. :party:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It's not really that far fetched. They're so equal in terms of how they're viewed as D men that can help the team long term. Calling up one would almost seem like playing favorites. To add to that, calling up both maintains that competition between the two to play well. Where as calling up just one, they wouldn't have that extra motivation.

Another conspiracy theory I had, which may have been mentioned already, is that maybe this isn't just to see what both have at the NHL level possibly resulting in one being traded, but maybe it's to see what they have, especially offensively, to see if they can withstand losing Barrie in trade.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
It's not really that far fetched. They're so equal in terms of how they're viewed as D men that can help the team long term. Calling up one would almost seem like playing favorites. To add to that, calling up both maintains that competition between the two to play well. Where as calling up just one, they wouldn't have that extra motivation.

Another conspiracy theory I had, which may have been mentioned already, is that maybe this isn't just to see what both have at the NHL level possibly resulting in one being traded, but maybe it's to see what they have, especially offensively, to see if they can withstand losing Barrie in trade.

That's not a bad theory, especially with Barrie bring up for a new deal and having the same agent as O'Reilly, and not being that great a defensive player. But realistically it'll be a while before they can come close to matching Barrie's current offensive production. If they forsee trouble in contract talks they may have to keep options open. On the other hand the O'Reilly issue probably had more to do with O'Reilly than the agent so there may be no correlation with Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->