News Article: Zadina will be called up in March

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
"Dominating kids at the WJC is going to do GREAT things for his confidence!"

He's been playing a better all-around game, only -1 in his games back from the WJC. The team has also been clicking, 7-3 in the last 10 games.
I'd say that's a win - he was a -13 before the WJC.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, we should trade him for more Abby types. He's a bust. It's over.

People are acting like the argument is to bring him up now and give him top line minutes. It's not. It's about giving him a cup of coffee in the NHL because we can. Give him some juice heading into the offseason after getting a taste of the league.

How exactly does criticizing the guy for his mediocre play mean that he wants to trade him for another Justin Abdelkader. You are clearly missing the point.

He's not ready for his cup of coffee, especially since the organization has challenged him to dominate the AHL before getting a call up. What kind of message does that send when you challenge a player to dominate, and to earn a call-up, but then call him up anyways without the dominant play? If I'm a future prospect I just laugh at the organization when they tell me to "earn my call-up" because I know it's coming regardless if I play well or not.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think he has earned a single NHL game this year, and should start next year in the AHL. Make him actually earn it.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tomas Tatar had better numbers at the same age in the AHL. I absolutely love Tatar, but I was hoping for Zadina to be a much more dominant player than Tatar. Tatar was picked 60th overall, so I can't complain at all about what he's done, but if our 6th overall player who will be "filling other teams nets with pucks" peaks as a 25-30 goal, 50 point player, I will be disappointed.

32 points in 52 games (47 point pace in 76 games) for Tatar for his first full season is way better numbers? Zadina has 23 in 39 games, (on pace for 44 points in 76 games).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How exactly does criticizing the guy for his mediocre play mean that he wants to trade him for another Justin Abdelkader. You are clearly missing the point.

He's not ready for his cup of coffee, especially since the organization has challenged him to dominate the AHL before getting a call up. What kind of message does that send when you challenge a player to dominate, and to earn a call-up, but then call him up anyways without the dominant play? If I'm a future prospect I just laugh at the organization when they tell me to "earn my call-up" because I know it's coming regardless if I play well or not.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think he has earned a single NHL game this year, and should start next year in the AHL. Make him actually earn it.

There is a difference between a call-up for good (which is what the Wings wanted him to dominate to do and what Filip truly wants) and a cup of coffee in March of a season as a learning tool for next year (after which he will get dropped back to the AHL).

This "call-up" is a tool they're using to say "Filip, you need to work harder. We will show you how fast it all is, so you know what you must hit when preseason 2019 begins to have a chance of being on the roster."

I am kinda surprised to see so many people on here balking at the news of a top young prospect receiving NHL time earlier rather than later.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is my point exactly. We are all so excited about this guy, and yet he is producing mediocre AHL numbers, and is a nightmare defensively. How is this screaming "future Red Wings star!" If that's the case, the future is looking like it will be as bad as the present. We need to hit a homerun with our first rounder this year. Zadina will be a good 2nd liner, and that's all I really see at this point. He has shown me absolutely nothing to believe he's anything other than an inconsistent, one-dimensional, 2nd liner.

Tomas Tatar had better numbers at the same age in the AHL. I absolutely love Tatar, but I was hoping for Zadina to be a much more dominant player than Tatar. Tatar was picked 60th overall, so I can't complain at all about what he's done, but if our 6th overall player who will be "filling other teams nets with pucks" peaks as a 25-30 goal, 50 point player, I will be disappointed.

HE IS 18 YEARS OLD IN A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE. If you were excited about his skills prior to the draft, you should still be excited for them. The AHL is a far tougher league than the major juniors.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
32 points in 52 games (47 point pace in 76 games) for Tatar for his first full season is way better numbers? Zadina has 23 in 39 games, (on pace for 44 points in 76 games).

I like how you add the word "way". Did I say "way" better? Show me exactly where I said "Tatar's numbers are way better". You can't, can you? That's because I didn't say that, so don't put words in my mouth, thanks.

Last time I checked, 47 is a higher number than 44, thus my statement remains accurate.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
HE IS 18 YEARS OLD IN A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE. If you were excited about his skills prior to the draft, you should still be excited for them. The AHL is a far tougher league than the major juniors.

He's 19, not 18.

Since you like the caps lock button, WHY ARE YOU IGNORING HIS PRODUCTION AT THE WORLD JUNIORS WHEN HE WAS ONE OF THE OLDER PLAYERS, AND WAS GIVEN EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO SCORE AND HAVE SUCCESS OFFENSIVELY, YET DIDN'T PRODUCE A SINGLE GOAL?.

He looked terrible at the Juniors, he even admitted it. But sure, let's ignore that, and just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a *19 year old*, not 18 year old, in a pro league.

Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
He's 19, not 18.

Since you like the caps lock button, WHY ARE YOU IGNORING HIS PRODUCTION AT THE WORLD JUNIORS WHEN HE WAS ONE OF THE OLDER PLAYERS, AND WAS GIVEN EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO SCORE AND HAVE SUCCESS OFFENSIVELY, YET DIDN'T PRODUCE A SINGLE GOAL?.

He looked terrible at the Juniors, he even admitted it. But sure, let's ignore that, and just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a *19 year old*, not 18 year old, in a pro league.
I think the consensus around here is that Zadina didnt play bad at the WJC and was a 200ft player, the points just didnt come this time around.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I like how you add the word "way". Did I say "way" better? Show me exactly where I said "Tatar's numbers are way better". You can't, can you? That's because I didn't say that, so don't put words in my mouth, thanks.

Last time I checked, 47 is a higher number than 44, thus my statement remains accurate.

it's actually not though,they got the numbers wrong Tatar played 58 games not 52

or is 41 a higher number than 44 too?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
He's 19, not 18.

He looked terrible at the Juniors, he even admitted it. But sure, let's ignore that, and just keep giving him the benefit of doubt of being a *19 year old*, not 18 year old, in a pro league.

Whatever, 18 or 19. He's a teenager in his first year in professional hockey. He turned 19 this year, right?

The Czech team was notoriously bad this year, was it not? They had Necas, one other guy, and Zadina. They were getting bounced around on different lines and never had any chemistry.

Conversely, let's dump on the kid in his first year of professional hockey where the team he is on isn't a powerhouse by any means and by a couple weeks of an international tournament playing with a random selection of guys every other night. That seems fair to him.

Zadina needs work. But I'm "ignoring his production at the World Juniors" because I ignore that for literally every player there. What a guy does with a couple weeks training with a team, particularly one with a weaker roster, is not at all indicative of anything in terms of his play. I mean, most of the time people put way too much emphasis on certain tournaments as "best on best".

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because all of 18-19 has been a transition for him. It seems ludicrous to want to bury a prospect as being worthless within six months of drafting him.

Oh, and right before World Juniors he tweaked his groin/hamstring. Like a week prior to the tournament. But of course, he didn't perform well in a couple weeks of hockey, so obviously he's just a festering pile of ****.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think the consensus around here is that Zadina didnt play bad at the WJC and was a 200ft player, the points just didnt come this time around.

Good thing I go by my own personal opinions from watching all of the Czech games myself rather than the consensus.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
it's actually not though,they got the numbers wrong Tatar played 58 games not 52

or is 41 a higher number than 44 too?

Right, so Zadina's numbers are slightly better than Tatar's. At the draft, I was sure hoping for a player who is more than just slightly better than Tatar.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Whatever, 18 or 19. He's a teenager in his first year in professional hockey. He turned 19 this year, right?

The Czech team was notoriously bad this year, was it not? They had Necas, one other guy, and Zadina. They were getting bounced around on different lines and never had any chemistry.

Conversely, let's dump on the kid in his first year of professional hockey where the team he is on isn't a powerhouse by any means and by a couple weeks of an international tournament playing with a random selection of guys every other night. That seems fair to him.

Zadina needs work. But I'm "ignoring his production at the World Juniors" because I ignore that for literally every player there. What a guy does with a couple weeks training with a team, particularly one with a weaker roster, is not at all indicative of anything in terms of his play. I mean, most of the time people put way too much emphasis on certain tournaments as "best on best".

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because all of 18-19 has been a transition for him. It seems ludicrous to want to bury a prospect as being worthless within six months of drafting him.

Oh, and right before World Juniors he tweaked his groin/hamstring. Like a week prior to the tournament. But of course, he didn't perform well in a couple weeks of hockey, so obviously he's just a festering pile of ****.

Who is calling him worthless and saying he's a festering pile of ****? Not me, I'm saying that he's looking like he'll be another 2nd liner, and that I expected more. I don't think this criticism is unwarranted. I'm not saying he's going to be a full on bust. All I'm saying is that I am underwhelmed and disappointed so far, and that I don't think he deserves any NHL games this year. Lots of time for him to right the ship.

And that one other guy you are referring to is Kaut, who Colorado took in the first round. Kaut looked much better than Zadina did in the tournament.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

My goodness, all that bitterness for a measly 3 points.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Right, so Zadina's numbers are slightly better than Tatar's. At the draft, I was sure hoping for a player who is more than just slightly better than Tatar.
Keep on moving those goal posts buddy, you'll get there.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Zadina should 100% get a call up for 9 games. No question. Has he "earned" a call up?! Who cares !
It's 9 games heading into the off-season where he can be evaluated closely by Blash can company.
They can get a good look at him, evaluate his skills and weakness, and form a summer program for him.

The kid had a tough year, no arguments about that. Lets see how he responds this summer.

Reactions: A II R

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yes it is and the NHL is even more so than the the jump from JR to the A right? What happened to him in the prospect tournament? He tried his go to come off the half wall move and got crushed more than one time. Now his coach last week is saying he is getting rid of the puck to fast. Is that why he is doing that? No time to make his go to move? What do you think is going to happen in the Nhl? Guys going to be slower? Guys going to let him have his space? Or are guys going to make a example out of him? Does that sound like a good thing for his development to you? Or is the smarter plan to let him grow in the A with the players he has been with all year in a playoff setting? We all heard how he was going to get this huge boost from killing the WJC and well we all know how that went. I have hope for him but don't want to stunt him either.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'd give both Zadina and Veleno the chance with the big club. Give them top-6 mins and see what they do with it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Are we really getting frustrated about Zadina not lighting up the AHL in his first season after being drafted? Yikes.

If the kid looked completely lost, to the point that he was a healthy scratch, that's one thing. But LET THE KID LEARN AWHILE. My expectations are that he has a very good year in Grand Rapids next season, with two or more call-ups, and by the start of 2020-2021 is a regular in Detroit. That's another year and a half from now, so how about we at least let things play out through the end of this season, before we grab the Pitchforks of Complaining and Torches of Disappointment.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yes it is and the NHL is even more so than the the jump from JR to the A right? What happened to him in the prospect tournament? He tried his go to come off the half wall move and got crushed more than one time. Now his coach last week is saying he is getting rid of the puck to fast. Is that why he is doing that? No time to make his go to move? What do you think is going to happen in the Nhl? Guys going to be slower? Guys going to let him have his space? Or are guys going to make a example out of him? Does that sound like a good thing for his development to you? Or is the smarter plan to let him grow in the A with the players he has been with all year in a playoff setting? We all heard how he was going to get this huge boost from killing the WJC and well we all know how that went. I have hope for him but don't want to stunt him either.

To prove to him that he'll get his dick knocked into his watch pocket if he tries it in a short 9 game stint? I do think it will be good for his development.

So he can see "man, these guys are fast. Man, these guys are strong. I gotta kick ass in the weight room this summer if I want to make it."
I want Zadina to know "this is what it takes to be a professional". Get at this level or you're not making the team. And if guys make an example out of him? All the better, if Zadina's a player, he'll take it as a challenge to get better. If he's got a star's makeup, even if he gets his **** ruined in these 9 games, he'll say, I'll be back and I'll wreck your faces then.

Look at what Larkin does. Plays hard. Hits a wall. Works harder and gets past that wall and onto the next.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'd give both Zadina and Veleno the chance with the big club. Give them top-6 mins and see what they do with it.

Absolutely not. Veleno needs AHL time when he can get it. Zadina can get this cup of coffee, but he needs more AHL time.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Are we really getting frustrated about Zadina not lighting up the AHL in his first season after being drafted? Yikes.

If the kid looked completely lost, to the point that he was a healthy scratch, that's one thing. But LET THE KID LEARN AWHILE. My expectations are that he has a very good year in Grand Rapids next season, with two or more call-ups, and by the start of 2020-2021 is a regular in Detroit. That's another year and a half from now, so how about we at least let things play out through the end of this season, before we grab the Pitchforks of Complaining and Torches of Disappointment.

I don't blame people for feeling like this, we see players like McDavid, Matthews, Hischier, Dahlin, Kotkaniemi etc... step in and we want our piece of the pie. The problem is those are all top 3 picks, you can bust from being a top 3 pick, but lately that hasn't been likely. Zadina was a top 6 pick that could have possibly fallen even further we didn't take him.

I totally agree with you that I'm not worried one bit, but I also don't have hopes of Zadina being a consistent 35+ goal scorer in his career. I think this is the best year for us to get our top 3 pick and really speed up the rebuild.

Reactions: NEWing

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Something tells me there's probably a strong overlap between people saying "He's a kid! You can't judge him right now!" and the people that we're writing Rasmussen off as a "3rd line ceiling" player from the moment he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad