News Article: Zadina will be called up in March

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Name one NHL team that goes through a season without injuries, or doesn't play better when everybody is available.

Colorado Avalanche at 2013-14 season.

They had all key guys healthy through season and did win their division with 112 points. Season before they had .460%, 39 points in 48 games, which was 66.6p pace in 82-games. So they did make almost 50-point jump. Regressed next season to 90 points when injuries happened an missed the playoffs.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I feel bad for AHL journeymen like Puempel and Terry and Camper who have far better numbers then Zadina, yet will never get a call-up. I completely and wholeheartedly disagree if they call Zadina up. What happened to Blashill's comments of "we want this guy to dominate the AHL before he gets called up". Half a point per game is dominating?

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I feel bad for AHL journeymen like Puempel and Terry and Camper who have far better numbers then Zadina, yet will never get a call-up. I completely and wholeheartedly disagree if they call Zadina up. What happened to Blashill's comments of "we want this guy to dominate the AHL before he gets called up". Half a point per game is dominating?

Are you serious? He can get a free 9 games in the NHL...why wouldn't you let him play? Give him a taste, let him get excited, and let the team see him with the big club. He's our future...those other guys are career AHLers for a reason.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Are you serious? He can get a free 9 games in the NHL...why wouldn't you let him play? Give him a taste, let him get excited, and let the team see him with the big club. He's our future...those other guys are career AHLers for a reason.

I'm 100% serious. I don't think he deserves the call-up. If he isn't producing in the AHL why call him up to the NHL? The organization said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "he needs to earn his NHL call-up. We want him to dominate the AHL." How is he dominating? He is almost an AHL worst -14, and isn't producing offensively.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
He would need to earn it to play on the team full time this year. There would need to be good reason to burn a year of his ELC and make him a player that has to be protected in the expansion draft. He hasn't done that, therefore he isn't getting called up to play in the NHL.

9 games at the end of the year to give our future #1 winger (we all hope) a taste of the NHL is a completely different situation. It would be silly not to take advantage of the 9 game exception.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
By definition, AHL journeymen do not have a role in the future of this team. If Zadina can gain anything from playing in the last nine games of the season, why wouldn't you want him to get that experience? This is all about the future of the franchise, not a pat on the back for journeymen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm 100% serious. I don't think he deserves the call-up. If he isn't producing in the AHL why call him up to the NHL? The organization said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "he needs to earn his NHL call-up. We want him to dominate the AHL." How is he dominating? He is almost an AHL worst -14, and isn't producing offensively.
Carter Hart had a .902 Sv% and a 3.05 GAA in the AHL when he was called up. He has a .925 sv% and a 2.48 GAA in 16 NHL starts since.
Carter Hart at eliteprospects.com

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well then we have none by that thought. He has done nothing nothing at all to show he is the future of anything other than the 2nd line on a ok AHL team at this point.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't think playing on a team full of guys mailing it in will be that beneficial for him to be honest.

It might spark him who knows, but I'm fully expecting 9 games of him being a complete non-factor. He's just not ready.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Well then we have none by that thought. He has done nothing nothing at all to show he is the future of anything other than the 2nd line on a ok AHL team at this point.
You're being pretty harsh on a 19 year old kid. He was drafted at sixth overall for a reason, his potential. Why not nourish that early and let him get a feel for what it's gonna take to reach his potential. I will say that I wouldn't call him up based on his stats, but for a highly touted prospect, I'd love to see him with the big team for my own enjoyment. He's still developing whereas those late twenty year old guys are not.

Reactions: A II R

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, we should trade him for more Abby types. He's a bust. It's over.

People are acting like the argument is to bring him up now and give him top line minutes. It's not. It's about giving him a cup of coffee in the NHL because we can. Give him some juice heading into the offseason after getting a taste of the league.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Svech was the worst forward for GR last season and the Wings called him up late in the season. He did not deserved to be called up by my opinion (he should have been sent to Toledo) and others that watch Griffins games in person throughout the season, but he did. Why? Because he is a #1st round draft pick and the Wings have a high interest and investment on him so the Wings want to see if he is still worth the money that they invested in him.

Same reason for Zadina, only he is a much higher 1st round pick and he is an 18 yr old playing in his 1st pro season. Big jump from juniors to pro and a lot of players who may have had big success in juniors, end up hitting a brick wall when they play either in the ECHL or AHL the following season. Sure Z has struggled early and at times, he scored here and there, but for an 18 yr kid, he is coming around. Consistency in his play is what he needs to develop. He has been snakebitten on the goal scoring side of his game lately and he has had chances to score, but he is going through that time that he has to learn to fight through and battle out of. It is tough to watch at times, but he is going through the process and once he figures it out, he would be one to watch. Just have to have patience on him. Svech, AA, Mantha, and others before them all did not dominate the AHL during their time here in GR.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Wow... A pair of 30 year olds and a 26 year old are outproducing a 19 year old in an adult league. That's shocking.

Even more befuddling is that you're angry we're more concerned with doing what's right for the 19 year old's development than the 26 year old and the two 30 year olds.

Reactions: A II R

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Colorado Avalanche at 2013-14 season.

They had all key guys healthy through season and did win their division with 112 points. Season before they had .460%, 39 points in 48 games, which was 66.6p pace in 82-games. So they did make almost 50-point jump. Regressed next season to 90 points when injuries happened an missed the playoffs.
Assuming that's the most recent example, we're talking something on the order of 1/150 odds. My point still stands that it's nearly a given that a team will deal with injuries, so it shouldn't be held up as the biggest reason why Detroit hasn't been more successful.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Assuming that's the most recent example, we're talking something on the order of 1/150 odds. My point still stands that it's nearly a given that a team will deal with injuries, so it shouldn't be held up as the biggest reason why Detroit hasn't been more successful.

I feel like it's a reasonable excuse for the first like 7-8 or whatever games of the season,having that many key injuries to the defense all at the same time isn't normal

but that's what like a couple extra potential wins max? too far into the season now for that to move the needle all that much as far as an excuse for the whole year goes and the Wings injuries since then have been pretty average

Reactions: jkutswings

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yeah, we should trade him for more Abby types. He's a bust. It's over.

People are acting like the argument is to bring him up now and give him top line minutes. It's not. It's about giving him a cup of coffee in the NHL because we can. Give him some juice heading into the offseason after getting a taste of the league.
Can you read? Did I say he was a bust? did I say trade him???? His coach came out last week in a interview and said hes not ready to play in the NHL yet! He does not see the game fast enough yet, gets ride of the puck to fast, needs to work out more and put muscle on, needs to work on his skating. Not my words Simon's words you know his coach in GR. I know you know wayyyyy more about hockey than he does. Players high draft pick or not need to earn it not just get it because.

Reactions: RedWingzz

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Can you read? Did I say he was a bust? did I say trade him???? His coach came out last week in a interview and said hes not ready to play in the NHL yet! He does not see the game fast enough yet, gets ride of the puck to fast, needs to work out more and put muscle on, needs to work on his skating. Not my words Simon's words you know his coach in GR. I know you know wayyyyy more about hockey than he does. Players high draft pick or not need to earn it not just get it because.

His GM just said he's bringing him up to get a look...so, yeah. He's coming up whether Simon thinks he's NHL ready or not.

Also, I haven't seen a single person argue he is ready for the NHL right now. We are near the bottom of the standings, have nothing to play for, and can use him for 9 games without losing anything. It's a no brainer.

And spare me the "he has to earn it" stuff. We have plenty of players on big tickets that should earn a seat in the press box, but they are never held to the same standard as younger players.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Man, people really didn't get what "I want him or the young players to see what the NHL is all about, so as they head into the offseason [they know what they need to work on]. I think a young player can really improve in the gym between June and August." means, huh?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svech was the worst forward for GR last season and the Wings called him up late in the season. He did not deserved to be called up by my opinion (he should have been sent to Toledo) and others that watch Griffins games in person throughout the season, but he did. Why? Because he is a #1st round draft pick and the Wings have a high interest and investment on him so the Wings want to see if he is still worth the money that they invested in him..

Funny thing how Svechnikov has been pretty good on his NHL stints. Guy has been nothing but good on his rare NHL games or at pre-season games, before those injuries, which have happen now twice.

Success or non-success in AHL won't mean anything. NHL is a different game.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Funny thing how Svechnikov has been pretty good on his NHL stints. Guy has been nothing but good on his rare NHL games or at pre-season games, before those injuries, which have happen now twice.

Success or non-success in AHL won't mean anything. NHL is a different game.

The same can be said about Nick Jensen. In the 4 seasons he played here in GR, he was terrible and showed nothing at all to be even noticed or even considered being an NHL player. But he got his one opportunity (last and only chance) to make an impression to the Wings, and he made the most of it and he is still up there today. Just never know how these things turn out.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Lord Yzerman seems to be allowed to use that excuse when a couple guys miss a few games. No way he's not the best GM ever.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
His GM just said he's bringing him up to get a look...so, yeah. He's coming up whether Simon thinks he's NHL ready or not.

Also, I haven't seen a single person argue he is ready for the NHL right now. We are near the bottom of the standings, have nothing to play for, and can use him for 9 games without losing anything. It's a no brainer.

And spare me the "he has to earn it" stuff. We have plenty of players on big tickets that should earn a seat in the press box, but they are never held to the same standard as younger players.

Him having to earn it isn't the issue. If he were brought up and kept up for a significant amount of time, he would have to earn it. Getting <=9 regular season games at the end of a season where we are at the bottom of the standings... no. This is the same cup of coffee that guys like Ryan Sproul got at the end of a season or Mrazek when he played the last game or two in 13-14. This is a "hey, rook, here is the standard you have to play to."

And just as an offshoot... don't compare what a rookie has to do to earn a spot vs. what you think should happen with a veteran. Zadina doesn't deserve a spot in the NHL because Justin Abdelkader has been a tire fire. The two are separate things. A young guy shouldn't play over a bottom of the lineup veteran just because he's a rookie and better than that bottom of the lineup veteran. Zadina was drafted to be a top line or at minimum top 6 forward. In my opinion, he should be top line or top 6 capable before they call him up for good, because I don't want Filip Zadina being a grinder. I want my guys with crazy skill to be playing with other guys who have crazy skill.

Look at what coming up early and slotting in as a checking line wing did to Jurco. Got him a balky back and robbed him of all of his creativity.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

This is my point exactly. We are all so excited about this guy, and yet he is producing mediocre AHL numbers, and is a nightmare defensively. How is this screaming "future Red Wings star!" If that's the case, the future is looking like it will be as bad as the present. We need to hit a homerun with our first rounder this year. Zadina will be a good 2nd liner, and that's all I really see at this point. He has shown me absolutely nothing to believe he's anything other than an inconsistent, one-dimensional, 2nd liner.

Tomas Tatar had better numbers at the same age in the AHL. I absolutely love Tatar, but I was hoping for Zadina to be a much more dominant player than Tatar. Tatar was picked 60th overall, so I can't complain at all about what he's done, but if our 6th overall player who will be "filling other teams nets with pucks" peaks as a 25-30 goal, 50 point player, I will be disappointed.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad