News Article: Zadina will be called up in March

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Something tells me there's probably a strong overlap between people saying "He's a kid! You can't judge him right now!" and the people that we're writing Rasmussen off as a "3rd line ceiling" player from the moment he was drafted.

I am not part of that overlap... but I do think it is wildly premature to cap Zadina's performance as being Tomas Tatar 2.0.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Very small sample size, but I just looked up stats for the player taken 6th overall in the previous 5 drafts:

2017 Cody Glass
2016 Matthew Tkachuk
2015 Pavel Zacha
2014 Jake Virtanen
2013 Sean Monahan

It's been a highly productive draft slot, but it's been an interesting dichotomy. Each player either stayed in the WHL/OHL for his D+1 season, and put up PPG or better, or jumped straight to the NHL, with solid D+1 production. Zadina is by himself in going to the AHL for D+1, and then ended up getting hurt for awhile.

Overall, I understand some fans hoping for a hotter start to his career, but I think he just had some unique circumstances and the kid will be fine in the long run.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He's 19, not 18.

Since you like the caps lock button, WHY ARE YOU IGNORING HIS PRODUCTION AT THE WORLD JUNIORS WHEN HE WAS ONE OF THE OLDER PLAYERS, AND WAS GIVEN EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO SCORE AND HAVE SUCCESS OFFENSIVELY, YET DIDN'T PRODUCE A SINGLE GOAL?.

He looked terrible at the Juniors, he even admitted it. But sure, let's ignore that, and just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a *19 year old*, not 18 year old, in a pro league.

While we're talking about people ignoring things, why are you ignoring the fact that Holland clearly said the call-up is so that he understands what he'll need to work on over the summer?

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
While we're talking about people ignoring things, why are you ignoring the fact that Holland clearly said the call-up is so that he understands what he'll need to work on over the summer?

I'll be completely honest I didn't read that article until now. The call up is more justified now, but it still goes against Blashill's earlier comments when he said he wants Zadina to dominate the A and earn the call-up. I'd be confused as a player if I was getting conflicting messages from my coach and my GM.

This doesn't change my opinions on Zadina, that for a lack of a better word, he's been "meh" this year.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Absolutely not. Veleno needs AHL time when he can get it. Zadina can get this cup of coffee, but he needs more AHL time.

I don't think AHL time is mandatory. Veleno has been destroying his competition this year, if Zadina is getting a look, there's no reason why Veleno shouldn't get a look too.

Remember that Larkin did not get any legit AHL time outside of those 6 playoff games, and he jumped right into the NHL at a time when our forward lineup was much better than today. So I'm not that opposed to both Zadina and Veleno getting a chance.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"Dominating kids at the WJC is going to do GREAT things for his confidence!"
Lord Yzerman seems to be allowed to use that excuse when a couple guys miss a few games. No way he's not the best GM ever.
Something tells me there's probably a strong overlap between people saying "He's a kid! You can't judge him right now!" and the people that we're writing Rasmussen off as a "3rd line ceiling" player from the moment he was drafted.

Take your trolling somewhere else.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
He's under contract for it, so it's not all that surprising. Stevie Y can most definitely come into an advisory role next season. It's basically a lock that he's joining the organization when his contract expires, not a lock he'll be GM. Most of us are hopeful that's not the case, but Stevie Y has more respect for KH than most of this board combined.

Who is us, lol?

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Glad it isn’t until March! I’m going to a GR game in Chicago at the end of this month. Didn’t want to miss out on some Zadina.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't think AHL time is mandatory. Veleno has been destroying his competition this year, if Zadina is getting a look, there's no reason why Veleno shouldn't get a look too.

Remember that Larkin did not get any legit AHL time outside of those 6 playoff games, and he jumped right into the NHL at a time when our forward lineup was much better than today. So I'm not that opposed to both Zadina and Veleno getting a chance.

Zadina isn't getting a look in terms of sticking full time in 18-19. He's getting a look to know how much he needs to improve before he gets an actual look in 19-20's preseason. It's a big difference.

Basically, this isn't a reward call up for Zadina. It's "we can expose you to the NHL to show you how far you still need to go" And there is no rush to bring Veleno onto this decrepit and **** hockey team this year.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Zadina isn't getting a look in terms of sticking full time in 18-19. He's getting a look to know how much he needs to improve before he gets an actual look in 19-20's preseason. It's a big difference.

Basically, this isn't a reward call up for Zadina. It's "we can expose you to the NHL to show you how far you still need to go" And there is no rush to bring Veleno onto this decrepit and **** hockey team this year.

Whether he's getting a look to show how much he needs to improve or not is irrelevant. A chance is a chance, if Zadina comes in and plays the best on the team, then what? You're gonna send him back to the AHL?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Whether he's getting a look to show how much he needs to improve or not is irrelevant. A chance is a chance, if Zadina comes in and plays the best on the team, then what? You're gonna send him back to the AHL?
He'll go back to GR for the playoffs regardless how he plays.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Nowhere was it said Zads would get even 9 games, only that was the most he could get w/o burning a year. My guess would be 2-3 games based on the DRW & GRG's schedule

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If that happens, absolutely keep hum around

but nobody expects that to be a bridge we'll have to cross

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Yes. I would. You gain literally nothing by keeping him up for 15 games instead of 9.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

With Zadina being in the AHL, he is already in "year 1" of his ELC. Bringing him up changes nothing

Veleno has not signed his ELC yet, so to bring him up even for a taste, you would have to sign him to an ELC, then even if you sent him back a year is burnt. Not worth it.

At least this is my understanding of the rule, if I am wrong someone please correct me.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Zadina can play up to 9 NHL games this season before he burns up his first NHL season and the Wings would have to protect him from the upcoming expansion draft in 2 years time for Seattle. I do not think the Wings would want to go this route.

How is Zadina, Cholowski, Hronek, Hicketts, Sulak, & Ehn are going to get playoff experience in 18-19? Certainly not in Detroit. They have to experience not only the regular season route in the pro game, but at some point, they have to experience the playoff portion of the pro game as well. You do not do that by making these prospects watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs on TV from April through June. Or is that your way of teaching prospects what to expect in the playoffs?

The next best way is for these players is to participate in the AHL Calder Cup Playoffs. It is the next best thing for them to learn what it takes to make it from round to round and from game to game. Tests their physical and mental endurance as well. Test to see which prospects are "boys" and which ones become "men". You need to see things from a bigger perspective on how the pro game works.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
One thing that always gets lost in the expansion draft thing is that using up a year of his elc also means he gets his second contract sooner. Which could mean locking him in before he has as much chance to dominate and earn a big salary. And I really doubt that we're going to be pressed for expansion slots. I'm not sure what the right call is, but I think there's a solid argument that we should give him 10 games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With Zadina being in the AHL, he is already in "year 1" of his ELC. Bringing him up changes nothing

Veleno has not signed his ELC yet, so to bring him up even for a taste, you would have to sign him to an ELC, then even if you sent him back a year is burnt. Not worth it.

At least this is my understanding of the rule, if I am wrong someone please correct me.

The big thing on Zadina is keeping him under 9 NHL games keeps him from being expansion draft eligible.

When he struggled to hit the ground running that became more attractive. I really believe if he was crushing it ala his most frequent comparison and countryman Pasta he likely would have joined the Wings for the balance of the season at some point from December on. However, Zadina is clearly still working on things, so lacking the domination at that level and with the expansion implications this became the preferred method. I agree with the organization. Now they will bring him up for a look and he will get a run with the Griffins, potentially a World Championship if the Griffins are sent packing early. But he knows what work has to take place. I don't think the Wings have taken a misstep yet in developing Zadina, I think we benefit long-term by how they have handled this. Both for the future expansion draft and I think he will learn a ton over the three plus months of NA pro hockey he has left.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012

AHL doesn't count against his ELC. If he plays 9 games or less in the NHL this year, his ELC slides. See CapFriendly:

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: kliq

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
To prove to him that he'll get his dick knocked into his watch pocket if he tries it in a short 9 game stint? I do think it will be good for his development.

So he can see "man, these guys are fast. Man, these guys are strong. I gotta kick ass in the weight room this summer if I want to make it."
I want Zadina to know "this is what it takes to be a professional". Get at this level or you're not making the team. And if guys make an example out of him? All the better, if Zadina's a player, he'll take it as a challenge to get better. If he's got a star's makeup, even if he gets his **** ruined in these 9 games, he'll say, I'll be back and I'll wreck your faces then.

Look at what Larkin does. Plays hard. Hits a wall. Works harder and gets past that wall and onto the next.

On the other hand, theres a chance he doesnt get his dick knocked, has a good call up and goes down for a big Grand Rapid playoff. Its a really smart play for the wings to make and I cant believe anyone would have an issue with it. I wish I could watch Grand Rapids more this year and get a feel for how hes being played and stuff.

I think the crowd overreacting about his season is funny though. If he was in junior putting up 2 points a game no one would say anything about him

Reactions: ealong59

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
On the other hand, theres a chance he doesnt get his dick knocked, has a good call up and goes down for a big Grand Rapid playoff. Its a really smart play for the wings to make and I cant believe anyone would have an issue with it. I wish I could watch Grand Rapids more this year and get a feel for how hes being played and stuff.

I think the crowd overreacting about his season is funny though. If he was in junior putting up 2 points a game no one would say anything about him

Yeah. Could happen. I don’t feel like the Wings have much faith in that happening though this time. That being said, it will be nice to see him get NHL time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->