Who will ultimately be a better player?

• Zadina

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Veleno

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
First rounders from Holland's last Red Wing draft. Of course one was picked high and the other at the end of the round.
Zadina produced more than Veleno last year but he had more PP time (1:50 to 0:24) and had more opportunity with the Wings' top forwards. Veleno actually scored at little better per 60 clp at ES than Zadina despite not having as much opportunity with better forwards, Veleno is bigger, stronger a better skater and can PK.
If Z isn't producing he is pretty much useless but Joe can provide more than just production.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
More career pts = Zadina *(only b/c of opps. w/+ QoLinemates).

More Impactful career = Veleno

Pts. may be closer than many think though & it could be JV as the superior producer, as OP mentioned p/60 he already is.

Who'd I rather have on roster @ any given time = Veleno. Just more useful + upside.
Also co-star of the Mo & Joe Show.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is Zadina's last chance, I think. If he can't find his way this coming season, he'll be traded.

Veleno did pretty well this last year. He's got to continue to improve, but it looks like he's going the right direction.
There's no market for first round busts, Juolevi was a #5 OA pick and a waiver claim.

My guess is that he gets waived in '23, and some cellar team picks him up. There's even a chance that Stevie doesn't give him a QO next year, so he can find a team on his own like Stevie did with Svech.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
More career pts = Zadina *(only b/c of opps. w/+ QoLinemates).

More Impactful career = Veleno

Pts. may be closer than many think though & it could be JV as the superior producer, as OP mentioned p/60 he already is.

Who'd I rather have on roster @ any given time = Veleno. Just more useful + upside.
Also co-star of the Mo & Joe Show.
Zadina won't have more career points, he's more likely to wash out of the league. Nobody needs a scoring line winger that can't score.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Damn and to think in 2018 Zadina was compared to Laine and Veleno's floor was #2C. Prospects are just prospects....

What the f***? Anyone comparing Zadina to Laine as a prospect should have all future opinions disqualified. That’s one of the most asinine things I’ve ever heard of. And I’m not convinced that anyone actually did it. It seems like some revisionist history potentially

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wish we add Berggren to Veleno and Zadina discussion

What the f***? Anyone comparing Zadina to Laine as a prospect should have all future opinions disqualified. That’s one of the most asinine things I’ve ever heard of. And I’m not convinced that anyone actually did it. It seems like some revisionist history potentially
I also don't remember that , but some said he might be better than Svechnikov

Reactions: SoupNazi

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Still time for both... I know Zadina is running out of rope but this will be his first opportunity with a new coach, and the possibility to move up and down on some lines with actual talent should help. As for Veleno, he still has time.. He hasn't had a chance to truly be a full time NHL'er and being more of a two way player I can see him sticking around for a couple more years even if he struggles a bit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm pretty confident that 5 years from now Veleno is in the NHL somewhere(not necessarily here but somewhere) and while Zadina might be too i'm not nearly as confident that he doesn't end up somewhere in Europe instead

Zadina does still have the higher ceiling but he needs to start showing it soon

Wish we add Berggren to Veleno and Zadina discussion

I also don't remember that , but some said he might be better than Svechnikov

there were actually some rumors after the draft that the Wings themselves had him above Svechnikov

that was generally viewed more as something that would be a worrying red flag for the WIngs talent evaluation abilities if true than as something people agreed with even at the time though

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Oh man, what a mess up. Zadina over Hughes... Oofffh! An had he just been picked(Zadina) we'd of likely easily selected Hughes...

I was happy at the time, but Zadina's proved to be nothing special. Veleno will play much longer than him in the NHL.

Veleno always had the gritty-try-hard game that was going to make him effective even if he didn't develop fast offensively. Veleno's best bet to stay in the league now is fore-checking, face-offs, skating. I think him and Rasmussen can form a pesky-pair of bottom line C's/PK'ers.

I'll never forget that draft. Ty Dellandrea was a 1st rdp who I watched regularly in Flint with the firebird.

Epic name/draftee name in Jett Woo(not sure how he's doing?)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
that was generally viewed more as something that would be a worrying red flag for the WIngs talent evaluation abilities if true than as something people agreed with even at the time though

I don't think talent evaluation was the mistake. The development has been poor. Zadina isn't progressing or it has been dam slow, his agemates going far ahead.

But yeah, that Tyler Wright era is not looking promising. Cholowski as another same kind of player. Fine with talent, but no progress, currently left without QO.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think talent evaluation was the mistake. The development has been poor. Zadina isn't progressing or it has been dam slow, his agemates going far ahead.

But yeah, that Tyler Wright era is not looking promising. Cholowski as another same kind of player. Fine with talent, but no progress, currently left without QO.
What Cholo and Zadina have in common is that neither can think fast enough for the NHL. They both like to try to slow the game down and they lose the puck when they do. Despite their size, neither are physical enough and for whatever reason they can't shoot in the NHL. You'd think they're playing with a different size puck or something, lol.

I didn't do any in depth analysis on Zadina before the draft because I didn't think he'd be available, but there must have been warning signs because he dropped down. The teams above obviously did their research.

You can talk about development, but you really can't make people think faster. You have it naturally or you don't. I graduated out of Cornell in 3 years so I know. You just think at a different pace. Look at Raymond, the kid is a natural.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I didn't do any in depth analysis on Zadina before the draft because I didn't think he'd be available, but there must have been warning signs because he dropped down. The teams above obviously did their research.
Kotkaniemi and Hayton don't exactly scream "did their research". In all honesty that draft just looks really disappointing so far.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kotkaniemi and Hayton don't exactly scream "did their research". In all honesty that draft just looks really disappointing so far.

Outside of the defensemen, Tkachuk and Svechnikov? It looks to be one of the worst drafts in recent memory. And that’s the draft we got a lot of extra early picks in…

Reactions: PelagicJoe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
One of them going to step up this season, most likely Veleno. Still have hope for Zadina with new coach, new system

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What Cholo and Zadina have in common is that neither can think fast enough for the NHL. They both like to try to slow the game down and they lose the puck when they do. Despite their size, neither are physical enough and for whatever reason they can't shoot in the NHL. You'd think they're playing with a different size puck or something, lol.

Don't think there was any extreme WARNING SIGNALS.

Others were reaching for centers. Kotkaniemi 3th and Hayton 5th.

Brady Tkachuk was superior power-forward to get at 4h, if you prefer a player type like him.

Zadina at 6th was just normal how drafts will go. It was a decision between him, Bouhards or Hughes, maybe a bad decision.

But there was no warning signals, others were drafting even worse busts like Hayton.

Somebody dropping 3 places is mostly meaningless. Edvinsson did drop. Is that a warning signal?

Reaching for a bust is something I really think it shows you are bad at drafting. (Hayton).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
One of them going to step up this season, most likely Veleno. Still have hope for Zadina with new coach, new system

Zadina’s problem wasn’t the coach or system. It wasn’t Blashill telling him to fire crest seeking wristers. It wasn’t Blashill telling him to avoid contact at all costs. Or Blashill telling him to skate into coverage when his line mates had the puck. Zadina has no hockey sense.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad