Confirmed with Link: Zadina signs 3 year extension (1.825 AAV)

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Kakko got 2 x $2,100,000 and Zadina has 3 more points in fewer games then him. So it's a fair offer.

And maybe Yzerman doesn't extend Bertuzzi. Even though he said that extending both Bertuzzi and Larkin were his main priorities.
Zadina has actually played 3 more games than Kakko. Kakko is a year younger and has 21 more points than Z had at the same age.
I think the contract is long for someone who may not be an NHLer by the time it's done.

Reactions: Gniwder

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Zadina has actually played 3 more games than Kakko. Kakko is a year younger and has 21 more points than Z had at the same age.
I think the contract is long for someone who may not be an NHLer by the time it's done.
What the hell are you talking about? At age 21 Kaako had 18 points to Zadina's 19 points . Where are you coming up with 21 more points at the same age?

Sorry dude you're wrong, Kaako was 21 this year with 18 points, Zadina was 21 a year ago with 19 points kind of just debunked what you had said.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
giphy.gif

Dude doesn't deserve more than 1 mil a season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
The 3 years gives me some indication that Yzerman thinks he has more potential than he's shown. At the very least, perhaps he projects him as a 3rd line threat and 2nd power play option.

Or a trade chip If he actually starts performing? He was able to trade Martha not long after he signed.

I’m not expecting Zadina to light the world on fire but this is the pay a 3rd/4th line tweeter gets for 30ish points a season. If Zadina doesn’t outproduce that pace then I look to get rid of him. If you’re expecting 30 points from a 3rd line winger then it should be from someone that provides more of a defensive impact.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Zadina breaks out and improves a bunch, I will eat my hat.
I was pretty high on both Zadina and Veleno when we drafted them.
The deal isn't terrible, but Zadina isn't an impact player right now either.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider and Raymond both experienced immediate success and were extended a significant amount of trust from Blashill and the coaching staff. With the way they started, there was very little do to damage the confidence they brought to the game.

As for Zadina, I think it’s more about not building confidence more than it is destroying confidence. If he had any last year, it really didn’t show. I know from watching him as far back as his draft year…it doesn’t take much to see him in a confident frame of mind.

Where Blashill really did a number on Zadina was the same thing we saw with Mantha or Cholowski. It’s impossible for players to feel confident and relax when they feel like there is a target on their back. Not that it’s malicious, but imagine how you’d go through life if someone was watching and waiting for the first sign of a mistake and they punished you for it.

Zadina missing a defensive assignment meant that he was playing 10 minutes the next night. It meant that he took 2 shifts in the next period. It meant playing with Givani Smith and Carter Rowney. Conversely, Fabbri literally handing the puck away to the other team with numbers or taking a horrifically timed third period slashing penalty meant what? It meant he was right back on the ice as soon as his penalty was served.

Zadina just never built confidence under Blashill because every mistake was a benching of some sort. And then eventually you start believing that you aren’t capable of producing and start trying to force things to happen. And then you start second guessing your decisions and your reaction times look slow.

That’s why people throw out the concept of “unlocking” him. Let him start to believe that he can play his game and not be micromanaged. It’s something that Lalonde has talked about in depth regarding his philosophy. He lets people play their offensive game so long as they take care of the defensive responsibilities that he asks. As long as you pull your weight, he won’t lose his shit for trying to allow your creativity to shine.

And if that doesn’t work for Zadina…well then we are probably talking about calling it a wrap.

The bolded is exactly what Blashill would do to Zadina. Every coach has players they like and players they don't and the ones they don't get very short leashes even if their performance is the same as someone else who gets a long leash.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's the NHL bro. If he can't handle the pressure what do you want me to say? Plenty of players have produced despite a great relationship with their coaches. It's not an excuse for his lack of production. Can we at least agree GOING FORWARD his stats are on him or no?

So why is Blashill the scapegoat? I didn't even like Jeff and was indifferent about him being fired but to place all the blame on him as the reason Zadina has no confidence is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. You are a professional hockey player.

The fact that many many players have talked about struggles with confidence in their careers shows you have no knowledge of sports or are just trying to be a shit disturber. There have been lots of star players that have explained what confidence and lack of confidence can do to their games, but yes you know better because they are "pro players"!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Or a trade chip If he actually starts performing? He was able to trade Martha not long after he signed.

I’m not expecting Zadina to light the world on fire but this is the pay a 3rd/4th line tweeter gets for 30ish points a season. If Zadina doesn’t outproduce that pace then I look to get rid of him. If you’re expecting 30 points from a 3rd line winger then it should be from someone that provides more of a defensive impact.
The contract structure makes him harder to trade if he struggles year 1 and 2 as a team will have to pay him 2.7 million in actual money for a 1.8 mil cap hit. I don't really see us being able to move him unless it starts clicking for him, and if that's the case would we really want to move him? Idk good for Zadina to get that extra security if he does end up fizzling out, as NHL contracts are basically guaranteed. So even if he does end up in Europe in year 3 he's still going to see every penny of that $5.5 million .

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If I have to sift through another six pages of petty squabbling over largely insignificant issues, just to find another pic or two of Salma Hayak...

Who am I kidding. I'd happily do that.

Continue the Zadina discussion! #SalmaFanClub

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If I have to sift through another six pages of petty squabbling over largely insignificant issues, just to find another pic or two of Salma Hayak...

Change your max posts per page in preferences to 30 and you'd only have to sift through 4 pages :)

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Proud to do my service to salvage this topic.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
With the contract back-loaded, Zadina should actually get to keep more $$ as the pay-back for lost revenues should be ended. His agent did a good job

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
All that shit is EXCUSES! Subjective hearsay. The guy has under performed his entire pro career and you guys keep moving the goal posts around. Is that why he can't score too? Lol...
Not sure the goal post position matters for Zadina. The guy shoots for the team logo on the goalie's jersey

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Question? I thought with young players that Yzerman could simply walk away from the deal after 2 years and pay a fraction of the $2.8. Anyone know how that affects the cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad