Confirmed with Link: Zadina signs 3 year extension (1.825 AAV)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There's really no downside here, not sure what people are complaining about. If he ends up being a decent (15-20G/40-50P or more), this is a great deal. If he continues to suck, they can find a way to get rid of him or just deal with paying him $1.8 million, which won't impact the team at all.

What'd you expect him to come in at? $1M? Is Mark Pysyk's cap hit really worth getting upset about?
Yes. f*** Mark Pysyk.

• Haha
Reactions: Stony Curtis

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I have yet to hear one person focus any blame to Zadina's performance on ZADINA! Like how?
It's not my fault you only see what you want to see. Do a quick search for 'zadina' up in that box at the top and actually read what's posted. You want to shit on people that aren't shitting on Zadina so you pass by all the posts that shit on Zadina. That's fine if that's what you want to do. Just don't pretend that they don't exist.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's not my fault you only see what you want to see. Do a quick search for 'zadina' up in that box at the top and actually read what's posted. You want to shit on people that aren't shitting on Zadina so you pass by all the posts that shit on Zadina. That's fine if that's what you want to do. Just don't pretend that they don't exist.
All that shit is EXCUSES! Subjective hearsay. The guy has under performed his entire pro career and you guys keep moving the goal posts around. Is that why he can't score too? Lol...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
All that shit is EXCUSES! Subjective hearsay. The guy has under performed his entire pro career and you guys keep moving the goal posts around. Is that why he can't score too? Lol...
What are you even responding to here? Read my post that you just responded to. Read your post. And try again.

There are plenty of posts you can thumb up and respond to with a back-slapping 'Yeah he's a real shitter, isn't he?' if you actually take the time to look for them. But strangely you want to complain about a situation that doesn't actually exist. With the possible exception of Hronek (I got you, Ogee), no one gets more negative attention on this sub-forum than Zadina. So to say that it's all roses when talking about him is disingenuous at best.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He has underperformed, yes.

And did get a contract which is is a bit of a bargain considering his underperforming.

I don't really get what's the problem?

Other than whiners like to whine. That's the only problem I see in here.

Zadina is still an option for us. He is also an asset for us. We'll see if his career will take some strides. He's young. If not, then he can be traded or just lost for free.

After possible Zadina busting, Håkan Andersson has once again another draftee on the pipeline to replace him.

That's what has happened with Cholowski, when he busted. Andersson drafted Johansson from 2nd round to replace him.

That's what has been happened with Svechnikov. We lost our power-forward for injuries, but Håkan has drafted Söderblom to replace him from the 6th round.

That's also, what will happen, if Zadina will bust. Håkan Andersson has drafted Jonatan Berggren from 2nd round to replace him.

Håkan Andersson will just fix our future, one way or another, when the Wright-drafted 1st rounders will bust.

If they don't bust, then we'll have a luxury of options.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What are you even responding to here? Read my post that you just responded to. Read your post. And try again.

There are plenty of posts you can thumb up and respond to with a back-slapping 'Yeah he's a real shitter, isn't he?' if you actually take the time to look for them. But strangely you want to complain about a situation that doesn't actually exist. With the possible exception of Hronek (I got you, Ogee), no one gets more negative attention on this sub-forum than Zadina. So to say that it's all roses when talking about him is disingenuous at best.
I'm responding to the posters that are quoting me mainly. And who agree with what I'm saying (Henkka) maybe you need to re-read the comments towards me? And I don't even see your point? Do you have one?

He has underperformed, yes.

And did get a contract which is is a bit of a bargain considering his underperforming.

I don't really get what's the problem?

Other than whiners like to whine. That's the only problem I see in here.
The problem is the term.That's all I'm saying. And stop f***ing blaming Jeff Blashill and everyone else for him not playing good. Shit is lame af....

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm responding to the posters that are quoting me mainly. And who agree with what I'm saying (Henkka) maybe you need to re-read the comments towards me? And I don't even see your point? Do you have one?
It would help if your response had anything whatsoever to do with the post you are quoting.

My point is, you are looking to debate with people that are supportive of Zadina. That's fine. No issue whatsoever. Just don't pretend that everyone is supporting Zadina. As you tried to do below:
I have yet to hear one person focus any blame to Zadina's performance on ZADINA! Like how?
All you have to do is actually read to find the posts you are claiming don't exist. It's like you're trying to do a 'me against the world' stand here and there are more than a few people on your side that have zero faith in Zadina's ability to do anything.

Reactions: Ezekial

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It would help if your response had anything whatsoever to do with the post you are quoting.

My point is, you are looking to debate with people that are supportive of Zadina. That's fine. No issue whatsoever. Just don't pretend that everyone is supporting Zadina. As you tried to do below:

All you have to do is actually read to find the posts you are claiming don't exist. It's like you're trying to do a 'me against the world' stand here and there are more than a few people on your side that have zero faith in Zadina's ability to do anything.
*in this thread* not the history of threads about Filip Zadina.... and I'm sure they are littered with apologists making every damn excuse why he hasn't done anything to resemble his draft expectations.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
The problem is the term.That's all I'm saying. And stop f***ing blaming Jeff Blashill and everyone else for him not playing good. Shit is lame af....
The term? Three years. You think the term will come back to bite us? Elaborate, please.

If waived, he would be picked up in an instant. Teams love first round reclamation projects. Just look at Cholowski and Juolevi.

*in this thread* not the history of threads about Filip Zadina.... and I'm sure they are littered with apologists making every damn excuse why he hasn't done anything to resemble his draft expectations.
Most people say he is a bust, and will be playing in Europe within a couple of years. You have to Look at the whole picture. In this thread it is discussed whether he deserves the contract or not. You obviously don't think so, but there's no need to be so aggressive about it.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So you are saying all this to say it was Jeff Blashill's fault Filip Zadina couldn't score. He should have played him over Raymond when Lucas looks and is the clearly better player so he doesn't "destroy" his confidence. If it weren't for Blashill Zadina would look like a star?

No? I’m saying that Zadina’s struggles are his own to deal with, but Blashill’s decisions played into Zadina’s inability to relax, stop overthinking and second guessing, and have confidence that he wasn’t one slip up away from being benched. Most people will tell you that I was too soft on Blash, so please don’t confuse me for bashing on Blashill just because. He failed to get the best out of Zadina, and a lot of that had to do with Zadina’s confidence being one of the most fickle I’ve ever seen. It’s like do or die all the time. Mostly die to this point

The confidence thing is on Zadina to figure out. Clearly you aren’t someone who has ever been in the head of an athlete who is trying to manage and meet expectations.

I was never a high level hockey player, but I did play baseball into college and was a pitcher. I think it was @Lil Sebastian Cossa who made the comparison to a pitcher who is trying to aim pitches and not throw. You start second guessing your accuracy and focus on hitting spots, one of two things will happen. 1. Your fastball will lose velocity and breaking balls will flatten out and lose bite. 2. You will miss your spot in places you don’t want to miss. How many times have we seen Zadina take shots that didn’t have the zip or take shots that had no chance of turning into a goal because he piped it into the goalie’s crest?

You think he suddenly forgot how to pick corners or is he just panicking and afraid to miss the net?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The term? Three years. You think the term will come back to bite us? Elaborate, please.

If waived, he would be picked up in an instant. Teams love first round reclamation projects. Just look at Cholowski and Juolevi.

Yeah, Zadina is 25 on his last 3rd contract year. 24 at season start.

Same as Fabbri was 2 years ago, and he was a reclamation project for us.

This is almost a ZERO RISK deal for us, and it can turn only to positives. If not, then it's not a negative. It's just zero and we move on.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I would have gave him 1 year only. He is replaceable. Term is financial security. He needs to prove he can stay in the NHL.He is a scoring line winger that can't score and does nothing else pretty much. He needs fire in his seat not term.

Most people say he is a bust, and will be playing in Europe within a couple of years.
Well then they are busy today because his fan club came in serious @ me. Lol.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I would have gave him 1 year only. He is replaceable. Term is financial security. He needs to prove he can stay in the NHL.He is a scoring line winger that can't score and does nothing else pretty much. He needs fire in his seat not term.
He’s replaceable? What 23-year-old with Zadina’s level of upside are you replacing him with?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Yeah, Zadina is 25 on his last 3rd contract year. 24 at season start.

Same as Fabbri was 2 years ago, and he was a reclamation project for us.

This is almost a ZERO RISK deal for us, and it can turn only to positives. If not, then it's not a negative. It's just zero and we move on.
Agreed, 100%

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Well then they are busy today because his fan club came in serious @ me. Lol.

What if Yzerman thinks different, and after he has bolstered this team, he will see only Zadina's chances to get a better season.

A) better linemates
B) easier opponents when facing lower lines

Zadina will have his career-best season as quarantee at next season, I can already predict that.

He maybe will be a star, but giving 1-year contract would have been very stupid move.

Next season will bring his value back, thanks to better scoring. And then Yzerman could move on from him, because there's more interested buyers.

Or if he really will replenish himself. we could keep him, dirt cheap, as future part.

1-year deal would have been worst that any GM would do, in our situation.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Maybe, just maybe, that insecurity is Zadina's problem. Not everyone is wired the same way.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No? I’m saying that Zadina’s struggles are his own to deal with, but Blashill’s decisions played into Zadina’s inability to relax, stop overthinking and second guessing, and have confidence that he wasn’t one slip up away from being benched. Most people will tell you that I was too soft on Blash, so please don’t confuse me for bashing on Blashill just because. He failed to get the best out of Zadina, and a lot of that had to do with Zadina’s confidence being one of the most fickle I’ve ever seen. It’s like do or die all the time. Mostly die to this point

The confidence thing is on Zadina to figure out. Clearly you aren’t someone who has ever been in the head of an athlete who is trying to manage and meet expectations.

I was never a high level hockey player, but I did play baseball into college and was a pitcher. I think it was @Lil Sebastian Cossa who made the comparison to a pitcher who is trying to aim pitches and not throw. You start second guessing your accuracy and focus on hitting spots, one of two things will happen. 1. Your fastball will lose velocity and breaking balls will flatten out and lose bite. 2. You will miss your spot in places you don’t want to miss. How many times have we seen Zadina take shots that didn’t have the zip or take shots that had no chance of turning into a goal because he piped it into the goalie’s crest?

You think he suddenly forgot how to pick corners or is he just panicking and afraid to miss the net?
It's the NHL bro. If he can't handle the pressure what do you want me to say? Plenty of players have produced despite a great relationship with their coaches. It's not an excuse for his lack of production. Can we at least agree GOING FORWARD his stats are on him or no?

Maybe, just maybe, that insecurity is Zadina's problem. Not everyone is wired the same way.
So why is Blashill the scapegoat? I didn't even like Jeff and was indifferent about him being fired but to place all the blame on him as the reason Zadina has no confidence is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. You are a professional hockey player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last season Zadina played most with Suter and Erne/Rasmussen.

Just imagine, when he will a guy like Kubalik on the other wing instead of Erne?

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Perron/Raymond
Vrana - Copp - Perron/Raymond
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina

And that line is not anymore a 2nd line, going against 1st-2nd pair defenceman, more of a 3rd line, going against 2nd-3rd pair defencemen. The scoring is gonna go up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Good deal. Low risk high reward. Could be a steal of a contract or a easily moveable non factor in any worse case scenario.

Yzerman continues to prove he is a smart and crafty GM.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I doubt we pay that year three lol.

That all definitely falls on Blashill for sure. I wonder if Tampa Bay knew he had a history of killing players confidence. That would explain how he instantly got another job....
Blashill kills player's confidence? Was that his Calder Cup strategy? Is that how Bert, Larkin, Raymond, Seider ect...became the player's they are? If you hate Blashill I have great news for you. Lalonde is a watered down version of Jeff Blashill. You are gonna love his "process".

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Last season Zadina played most with Suter and Erne/Rasmussen.

Just imagine, when he will a guy like Kubalik on the other wing instead of Erne?

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Perron/Raymond
Vrana - Copp - Perron/Raymond
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina

And that line is not anymore a 2nd line, going against 1st-2nd pair defenceman, more of a 3rd line, going against 2nd-3rd pair defencemen. The scoring is gonna go up.
Matchups play a lot into how much production a player will have. Better linemates gives his line more possession and more room. Better defensive pairings helps with possession and breakouts too.

Even though his production was poor last season, he did get scoring chances, but failed to execute, and he seemed to be overthinking his shots.

His production should increase a whole lot imo.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So why is Blashill the scapegoat? I didn't even like Jeff and was indifferent about him being fired but to place all the blame on him as the reason Zadina has no confidence is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. You are a professional hockey player.
I'm not sure what good it is to routinely rely on absolutes. It really doesn't add anything to the discussion. No one but you is talking about "all" the blame.

And Blashill is a professional hockey coach. Sort of plays a role in the one ice performance, don't you think? Otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Fairly easy to tell when someone’s never played a competitive sport before based on some of these comments.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I honestly cannot understand the downside of this signing. Maybe because I only see the posts of people who arguing in its favour. As for term, people forget that buyout for under 25 player is dirt chip - basically buying the last year of this contract will result in $5K cap hit over two years instead if $1825K. There is simply no risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00