Confirmed with Link: Zadina signs 3 year extension (1.825 AAV)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So how did Blashill destroy his confidence? And if he could actually even do that what does it say about Zadina?
Who knows. It says that a young person in a new country can be negatively impacted by a person that wields extraordinary power of his career and future. Coaches can really f*** someone up if they aren't careful.

Reactions: RabidBadger

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Why you still working there then? And there is a thing called toxic positivity. Zadina hasn't shown he is worth term...

So how did Blashill destroy his confidence? And if he could actually even do that what does it say about Zadina?
He actually gave Raymond a chance by putting him with Larkin, what did we do with Zadina? a.k.a killing his confidence

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because elite talent is more resilient.
To be clear here. This is everything to do with personality and psychology as well as a little dash of power dynamics in the work place. The only part talent may have played is that Raymond and Seider were going off the rip and didn't struggle at the NHL pace. Means there is less 'coaching' to be done to them.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because elite talent is more resilient.
He made it to the NHL with fragile confidence? Sounds legit.
Who knows. It says that a young person in a new country can be negatively impacted by a person that wields extraordinary power of his career and future. Coaches can really f*** someone up if they aren't careful.
And what evidence do you have that Blashill abused his power on Zadina? Where is the PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY for a player?! Wtf is going on around here?
The 3 years gives me some indication that Yzerman thinks he has more potential than he's shown. At the very least, perhaps he projects him as a 3rd line threat and 2nd power play option.
Perhaps but like I said this next season he better shove all his chips in the middle. He was touted as an elite goal scorer. That was his calling card and I've yet to see him look like he can dominate with any consistency.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You really believe that bs? Why didn't he destroy Raymond and Seiders confidence?

Because they’re different people who were coached differently?

Because all three of them are very different people and both Seider and Raymond had pretty much immediate NHL success?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm happy with that deal. The longer deal makes me hopeful that Yzerman sees the potential for Zadina to do more, and is hoping to get a steal if he starts producing. The AAV is low enough to be nearly irrelevant and if he never manages to develop into a difference maker at the NHL level, the deal won't be an issue. More solid work from Stevie Y

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because they’re different people who were coached differently?

Because all three of them are very different people and both Seider and Raymond had pretty much immediate NHL success?
How did Blashill destroy Zadina's confidence? So when he rarely produces it was in spite of his coach? You guys aren't serious.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

And what evidence do you have that Blashill abused his power on Zadina? Where is the PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY for a player?! Wtf is going on around here?

Perhaps but like I said this next season he better shove all his chips in the middle. He was touted as an elite goal scorer. That was his calling card and I've yet to see him look like he can dominate with any consistency.

Zadina’s personal responsibility is that he started gripping his stick tighter and tried to do more, which conversely causes him to do less. Like the baseball hitter who is straining really hard but not attacking the pitch. The pitcher who is trying to aim and throw his pitch perfectly as opposed to just trusting his stuff. The goalie (such as Mrazek or Howard) who cheats to make up for the fact that he’s out of shape and slow and therefore gives up more shitty goals.

That’s on him. Confidence is a weird damn thing. Zadina still has the shot and scoring touch that led him to be #3 ranked behind Svech and Dahlin.

Reactions: golffuul

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
To be clear here. This is everything to do with personality and psychology as well as a little dash of power dynamics in the work place. The only part talent may have played is that Raymond and Seider were going off the rip and didn't struggle at the NHL pace. Means there is less 'coaching' to be done to them.
I'd say, talent is not only about body types, measurements or skills, it also includes the mental side.

Reactions: Guyver

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He actually gave Raymond a chance by putting him with Larkin, what did we do with Zadina? a.k.a killing his confidence
Raymond didn't prove he deserved to play with Larkin? Blashill just did it to kill Zadina's confidence? This slope just keeps getting slipperier and slipperier... It's the world's fault.

Zadina’s personal responsibility is that he started gripping his stick tighter and tried to do more, which conversely causes him to do less. Like the baseball hitter who is straining really hard but not attacking the pitch. The pitcher who is trying to aim and throw his pitch perfectly as opposed to just trusting his stuff. The goalie (such as Mrazek or Howard) who cheats to make up for the fact that he’s out of shape and slow and therefore gives up more shitty goals.

That’s on him. Confidence is a weird damn thing. Zadina still has the shot and scoring touch that led him to be #3 ranked behind Svech and Dahlin.
I said accountability not responsibility... and none of this has any relevance to blaming his coach because he looks like a bust.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You really believe that bs? Why didn't he destroy Raymond and Seiders confidence?

Seider and Raymond both experienced immediate success and were extended a significant amount of trust from Blashill and the coaching staff. With the way they started, there was very little do to damage the confidence they brought to the game.

As for Zadina, I think it’s more about not building confidence more than it is destroying confidence. If he had any last year, it really didn’t show. I know from watching him as far back as his draft year…it doesn’t take much to see him in a confident frame of mind.

Where Blashill really did a number on Zadina was the same thing we saw with Mantha or Cholowski. It’s impossible for players to feel confident and relax when they feel like there is a target on their back. Not that it’s malicious, but imagine how you’d go through life if someone was watching and waiting for the first sign of a mistake and they punished you for it.

Zadina missing a defensive assignment meant that he was playing 10 minutes the next night. It meant that he took 2 shifts in the next period. It meant playing with Givani Smith and Carter Rowney. Conversely, Fabbri literally handing the puck away to the other team with numbers or taking a horrifically timed third period slashing penalty meant what? It meant he was right back on the ice as soon as his penalty was served.

Zadina just never built confidence under Blashill because every mistake was a benching of some sort. And then eventually you start believing that you aren’t capable of producing and start trying to force things to happen. And then you start second guessing your decisions and your reaction times look slow.

That’s why people throw out the concept of “unlocking” him. Let him start to believe that he can play his game and not be micromanaged. It’s something that Lalonde has talked about in depth regarding his philosophy. He lets people play their offensive game so long as they take care of the defensive responsibilities that he asks. As long as you pull your weight, he won’t lose his shit for trying to allow your creativity to shine.

And if that doesn’t work for Zadina…well then we are probably talking about calling it a wrap.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
How did Blashill destroy Zadina's confidence? So when he rarely produces it was in spite of his coach? You guys aren't serious.
Did I say that he did? I was saying that you can’t say “Raymond and Seider didn’t struggle, so it can’t be related to coaching”.

Raymond came in and was an instant success and got stapled to Larkin’s line. And hell, by the end of the year, Raymond hit the wall and slowed way down.

Seider is wholly different because he played with Rogle as THE GUY for a year in a league with men. Kinda hard to have anything shake a dude’s confidence when he’s just been a stud everywhere he’s gone. Seider in his rookie year was a literal unicorn.

Blashill didn’t destroy Zadina’s confidence, Zadina’s struggles did that. The only thing Blashill did “wrong” with Zadina is not keep him in the top 6 to let him grind through his troubles. (Blashill was right to do that because he didn’t deserve a top 6 role by his play even if he may have unlocked something by continuing to get put in key situations if it clicked… but it wasn’t Blashill’s job to cater to what’s best for Filip Zadina at the cost of everyone else)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just like for Raymond, Blashill gave Zadina a chance to play with Larkin year earlier.

But everybody has forget everything, thanks to Blashill hate.

Proven fact:
At season 2020-21, Zadina played most minutes with Dylan Larkin, 2nd most with Namestnikov.

Reactions: Realgud

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Seider and Raymond both experienced immediate success and were extended a significant amount of trust from Blashill and the coaching staff. With the way they started, there was very little do to damage the confidence they brought to the game.

As for Zadina, I think it’s more about not building confidence more than it is destroying confidence. If he had any last year, it really didn’t show. I know from watching him as far back as his draft year…it doesn’t take much to see him in a confident frame of mind.

Where Blashill really did a number on Zadina was the same thing we saw with Mantha or Cholowski. It’s impossible for players to feel confident and relax when they feel like there is a target on their back. Not that it’s malicious, but imagine how you’d go through life if someone was watching and waiting for the first sign of a mistake and they punished you for it.

Zadina missing a defensive assignment meant that he was playing 10 minutes the next night. It meant that he took 2 shifts in the next period. It meant playing with Givani Smith and Carter Rowney. Conversely, Fabbri literally handing the puck away to the other team with numbers or taking a horrifically timed third period slashing penalty meant what? It meant he was right back on the ice as soon as his penalty was served.

Zadina just never built confidence under Blashill because every mistake was a benching of some sort. And then eventually you start believing that you aren’t capable of producing and start trying to force things to happen. And then you start second guessing your decisions and your reaction times look slow.

That’s why people throw out the concept of “unlocking” him. Let him start to believe that he can play his game and not be micromanaged. It’s something that Lalonde has talked about in depth regarding his philosophy. He lets people play their offensive game so long as they take care of the defensive responsibilities that he asks. As long as you pull your weight, he won’t lose his shit for trying to allow your creativity to shine.

And if that doesn’t work for Zadina…well then we are probably talking about calling it a wrap.
So you are saying all this to say it was Jeff Blashill's fault Filip Zadina couldn't score. He should have played him over Raymond when Lucas looks and is the clearly better player so he doesn't "destroy" his confidence. If it weren't for Blashill Zadina would look like a star?

Just like for Raymond, Blashill gave him Zadina chance to play with Larkin.

I have yet to hear one person focus any blame to Zadina's performance on ZADINA! Like how?

I actually really hate this.
Especially the term. He has done nothing to earn three years.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
There's really no downside here, not sure what people are complaining about. If he ends up being a decent (15-20G/40-50P or more), this is a great deal. If he continues to suck, they can find a way to get rid of him or just deal with paying him $1.8 million, which won't impact the team at all.

What'd you expect him to come in at? $1M? Is Mark Pysyk's cap hit really worth getting upset about?

Last edited:
Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Just like for Raymond, Blashill gave Zadina a chance to play with Larkin year earlier.

Proven fact:
At season 2020-21, Zadina played most minutes with Dylan Larkin, 2nd most with Namestnikov.
That doesn't count.

There's really no downside here, not sure what people are complaining about. If he ends up being a decent (15-20G/40-50P or more), this is a great deal. If he continues to suck, they can find a way to get rid of him or just deal with paying him $1.8 million, which won't impact the team at all.
I think that's Yzerman's reasoning. If he wakes up he is under control for 2 more years. I doubt he ever becomes even half of what we thought he would be. I was expecting him to lead us in goals or at least be in the top 5!!!

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Some people act like they are actually footing the bill. 1.8m is about right for 10 goals, if he actually starts hitting the net it could end up being a steal. Not holding my breath but this is another nothing burger.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Watching the games and reading Zadina's body language, it's pretty clear that his confidence has bottomed out in the NHL. His ability to generate opportunities and not convert them into anything has been astounding so far. It's not uncommon among players known for their goal scoring to get pretty down on themselves if they have an extended goal drought. Look at all of the stupid penalties Kucherov takes every year when things aren't going in for him. The more that you want something, the more that it can impact you, and recognizing that these 20 year old's are people like anyone else that can struggle with confidence.

Frankly, I don't think Blashill abused his power over Zadina... regardless though, whatever tactics he tried didn't work. Sometimes coaches try a reasonable strategy and it doesn't work out. Perhaps, it indicates mediocrity in their teaching abilities, but I don't think it needs to be abuse. And it's absolutely something that Zadina has to own part of, which frankly, he seems to overdo. When you watch Zadina, do you see a lack of personal accountability and effort? Or do you see someone beating himself up about every mistake?

And sure, it's totally fair to say that a perfect NHL player will persevere through difficult situations and find a way to succeed. Bad coaches, bad teams and bad play are something that they overcome. They'll keep their confidence high in the droughts, but not too high during peaks. They'll always be able to deliver on the skills they showed in juniors and leverage those talents to great affect.

It's obvious that Zadina is not such a player. Frankly though, he's making progress into being a decent one, and he's flashed upside well enough to hope that there's more. Remember that he's the same age as Berggren whom we all feel has hope to be a top 6 winger and hasn't stepped on NHL ice yet. For better or worse, we've tried to develop Zadina at the NHL level and that's meant watching him take lumps that we'd usually miss while they're playing in Rogle or whatever. It might not work out, but this is a good deal.

Reactions: Crunchy

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Interesting to note that the deal is heavily backloaded:

- Year 1: $915k
- Year 2: $1.83m
- Year 3: $2.73m

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We were talking about Zadina building his confidence by going back to the AHL to start year 1.

When he was struggling, we said maybe playing against kids in the WJC could build his confidence.

When he struggled at the WJC, we said maybe playing on the top line could build his confidence.

When he struggled on the first line, we said maybe taking the pressure off and putting him on line 3/4 could build his confidence.

...I'm starting to think he's just not very good at hockey

Reactions: Gniwder

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Interesting to note that the deal is heavily backloaded:

- Year 1: $915k
- Year 2: $1.83m
- Year 3: $2.73m
I doubt we pay that year three lol.

We were talking about Zadina building his confidence by going back to the AHL to start year 1.

When he was struggling, we said maybe playing against kids in the WJC could build his confidence.

When he struggled at the WJC, we said maybe playing on the top line could build his confidence.

When he struggled on the first line, we said maybe taking the pressure off and putting him on line 3/4 could build his confidence.

...I'm starting to think he's just not very good at hockey
That all definitely falls on Blashill for sure. I wonder if Tampa Bay knew he had a history of killing players confidence. That would explain how he instantly got another job....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad