Confirmed with Link: Zadina signs 3 year extension (1.825 AAV)

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's a masterclass on taking a bad pass and making the most of it. Ovi is the goat goal scorer in the NHL imo.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I was for keeping Zadina considering what the rumors were saying regarding trade prospects for Zadina but keeping him under those circumstances did not include extending him without him improving. Last year he was a 25-30 point forward on a second line. This year, a really slow start.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Zadina's highlights don't even come close, it's a collection of lucky bounces other than a couple of nice goals.

This is almost as bad as Raz's checking highlights which consisted of him getting knocked over by smaller players, lol. At least Raz worked on his skating, Zadina still can't shoot.

And I still don't understand this contract, I see waivers and probably a buyout next season. He hasn't shown enough to even be picked up on waivers.
The contract is the carrot.
Given the contract? I imagine 3 years worth. Zero reason to trade him unless someone inexplicably has their hearts set on him. His value on the ice exceeds his trade value.
He can be traded for another struggling young player.
Getting so little out of Svech, Cholo, Zadina and Ras.... that's tough.
True, but on the other hand Bertuzzi, Hronek..... have outperformed their drafting position.
You win some, you lose some.
LOL, true. Zero is better than negative.

One mistake does not justify another, there are plenty of $1M guys outplaying Zadina. I doubt he becomes anything more than he is now, he simply hasn't made any progress. And he's not outplaying anyone on the roster besides Oesterle, Smith got sent down, and everyone else besides Luff has at least one point, Luff is basically the same level player.

Unless he makes a miraculous improvement to his game he'll be bought out. Watch. Buying out that 3rd year saves $1.8M, and if he doesn't improve it's a no brainer.
He has outplayed Nedeljkovic and Lindstrom.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Aside from the lack of scoring, I really don't think Zadina has been that bad.
That's the crazy thing about his production. If you just watch the games, you'd expect him to have at least a handful of points as he's had/created tons of chances and many solid shifts. That he hasn't even been on the ice for a goal for, let alone picked up a random secondary assist, is bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He kind of reminds me of Datsyuk in a way. There's so many times I'm watching him and I think to myself, "wow, I don't think any other player in the NHL would have thought to make that play in that situation".

That is not a compliment.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Agreed, he never looks that bad. He just doesn't do anything productive.
I would state that more as he does things that should be productive, but to this point they haven't been. He forechecks well, he keeps cycles alive, takes away pucks to maintain o-zone time. He passes well to dangerous areas (sometimes when he should have shot instead, but that's a dead horse at this point). He's braindead right now with the puck on his stick in a prime scoring chance, no disputing. But he gets there. He's involved in chances. All of the good little things a coach wants you to do. That he doesn't have 3-4 random points at this point is baffling. That he hasn't been on the ice for a goal for should be impossible. Fun fact, Zadina is the only player in the league with 8 games played that has not been on the ice for an even strength goal for. That's insane. But it's not for lack of doing things that should be productive.

EDIT - Similarly fun fact, Veleno is one of only 4 players with 8 games played that hasn't been on the ice for an ES goal against. And Joe has the highest ES TOI/GM of the 4

Ridiculous stat Miro Heiskanen has only been on for 2 ES goals against thus far... that's nutty.

Reactions: RRhoads

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Except it wasn't about hindsight.
It was about foresight - or lack of it.
There were 4 exceptional defensive prospects on the board and we drafted a winger in Zadina - even though we had already used first round picks on Matha and Svechnikov and Bertuzzi and Athanasiou were already good young wingers.

And we had a desperate need for wingers.
Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist.

You might have missed on Boqvist and still had some concerns about Bouchard... but man.

Vilardi was the pick in the Rasmussen draft. Never been so stunned/disappointed with a pick as the Rasmussen pick.
While we are on the topic of foresight - Vilardi fell because he was an 18 year old with "chronic back injuries". That was pretty clearly the reason after the draft as to why he didn't go top 5.

Awesome to see him have the year he is having so far, I personally had him ranked #3 in that class I believe, but it was pretty clear after teams did their medicals on him they were understandably leery about drafting him super high.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has outplayed Nedeljkovic and Lindstrom.
Different positions aren't quite comparable. Lindstrom is paid and plays like a 7th D. I would rather see him than Oesterle, so he's earning his pay. At the same time I'd like to see him replaced, and that may happen when Pysyk recovers.

Goalies.... well you can't live with them and you can't live without them, lol.

Zadina's contract is stupid regardless. His only hope at this point is that Vrana comes back and they find magic together. could happen, but I give it less than 10% chance (which is why I said 90% possibility of bust, and not 100%)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
While we are on the topic of foresight - Vilardi fell because he was an 18 year old with "chronic back injuries". That was pretty clearly the reason after the draft as to why he didn't go top 5.

Awesome to see him have the year he is having so far, I personally had him ranked #3 in that class I believe, but it was pretty clear after teams did their medicals on him they were understandably leery about drafting him super high.

Vilardi only fell to 11, so it's not like he fell out of the Wings' neighborhood.

Even if you still didn't want Vilardi, you didn't have to take Rasmussen - who was nowhere near a top 10 pick for me.

Necas wasn't some kind of unknown.

Personally, I was all about Robert Thomas (who looked like Datsyuk lite) or Liljegren - until Vilardi fell to us.
Other guys I wanted in that draft (later rounds) were Dylan Samberg, Alex Lipanov (bust), David Farrance, Cale Fleury, Nikita Popugaev, Adam Ruzicka, Tyler Inamoto, Chmelevski, Minulin and Slepets.

Remember how excited fans were after the 2018 draft.
Zadina - Sure, I wanted defense (Dobson), but it was hard to be angry about a guy considered the consensus #3. A guy respectable hockey people said was a threat to score 30 as a rookie.
Veleno - A guy once considered the potential #1 in the draft. That was a steal.
Berggren - Considered a mid-first round talent by some, fell to 33.
McIsaac - Once considered a top 10 talent, fell to 36.

I literally felt that we had four future NHLers... a top line winger, a 2C or better, a top six winger and a top 4 LD.

Here we are, 4+ years later and:
Zadina is trending towards bust.
Veleno is hasn't shown he's more than anything but a depth player
Berggren still hasn't played an NHL game.
McIsaac is starting to get his career on track - but with Edvinsson, Johansson, Viro, Buium, Sebrango and Wallinder @ LD - good luck, bro.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If we waived Zadina to send him to GR do you think he would get claimed given his cap hit and "production"?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see any chance he clears. I'd see Arizona trying him on the top 6 just because, or a offensively impotent team similar would take a chance for the price.

Going back to the start of last year, the highest 5 on 5 points/60 belongs to Johnny Gaudreau at 3.47

Of the 294 players with 800 minutes at 5 on 5, Zadina ranks 288th at 0.86
Who's behind Zadina?
Adam Lowry - Big, physical center - 52% faceoffs PKs
Michael Raffl - Somewhat physical, PKing LW
Radek Faksa - Center, 55 percent faceoffs, PKs
Luke Glendening- Center, 60 percent faceoffs. PKs
Matt Martin - Martin, tough, physical
Cody Eakin - Center - 54 percent faceoffs. PKs.

Lots of guys higher on this list have cleared waivers.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see any chance he clears. I'd see Arizona trying him on the top 6 just because, or a offensively impotent team similar would take a chance for the price.

Arizona top 9 wingers
Crouse 5-2-7
Macelli 0-7-7
Ritchie 4-2-6
Keller 3-7-10
Fischer 3-3-6
Guenther 2-4-6

Which guy gets bumped for 0-0-0 Zadina and his three-year contract?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
:laugh:

These days people will convince themselves of anything with 0 information and plenty of free time.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Fester has already shown a preference for larger physical players, so it's not zero information. Maybe you should pay attention to the team instead of bashing posters for no reason.

Maybe you haven't noticed the number of hits the guys are throwing every game? Do you watch games or just come here to criticize other people?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Fester has already shown a preference for larger physical players, so it's not zero information. Maybe you should pay attention to the team instead of bashing posters for no reason.

Maybe you haven't noticed the number of hits the guys are throwing every game? Do you watch games or just come here to criticize other people?
lol you just said I don't pay attention to the team - to bash me - while saying I'm just bashing people. :laugh:

I never said you can't have an opinion, I just said people can convince themselves of anything to make their opinion.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Plenty of teams with injuries or cap space would scoop him up for sure, if only temporarily.
There's only 8 teams with cap space (not including LTIR space), and he won't be picked up as an injury fill in because his contract is not buriable. He's also not good at learning a new system, so I don't see him as a good injury fill in. I mean.... he's already shown that he isn't this season, lol.

I can see Arizona picking him up though.

lol you just said I don't pay attention to the team - to bash me - while saying I'm just bashing people. :laugh:

I never said you can't have an opinion, I just said people can convince themselves of anything to make their opinion.
Once again, talking about me instead of my point.

Are you saying Fester doesn't prefer bigger physical players? All indications are that he does. Berggy is neither big or physical and has defensive issues. That is why he's in GR right now.

Also, he was less than impressive in preseason.

In any case, your posts are just pure garbage trolling with no actual insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad