Recalled/Assigned: Zadina sent back down to Grand Rapids (Recalled 12/12)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
have to imagine something is in the works

we should get a thread going for general roster moves, discussions are too fragmented right now when they all revolve around the same shit

Reactions: Ricelund

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Why not maximize your cap space if all it takes is a little paper move? More space to take a bad contract in a trade. Seems like the simplest answer to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Golden Knights reassign Cody Glass, 2 others to AHL

Up and down, back and forth. The Golden Knights continue to take advantage of the waiver-exempt status of their young players

The latest example came Monday, as the Knights reassigned forwards Cody Glass and Nicolas Roy along with defenseman Nic Hague to their American Hockey League affiliate.

The moves are designed to accrue additional space under the salary cap, and the trio are expected to return to the NHL prior to Wednesday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.​

Nope. This doesn't pass the logic test. Vegas has 160k in cap room for the season, the very least in the NHL. For them, every single dollar matters. Detroit has 12M in cap space, the very most in the NHL. There is no way we're taking on enough salary for that to matter. It is simply impossible. As the season goes on, that cap space can hold larger contracts because only a portion of a player's salary remains. Do you honestly think Yzerman is going to trade for 25M or more in expiring contracts in a month or two? That's the only situation where saving money by sending Zadina down for a day would matter, in terms of cap dollars. Even then we're stretching reason.

So, we can rule that out. There must be something else. It has been a while since I've read through the CBA, but there used to be clauses about the number of days a player spent on an NHL roster, not just games played. We know that the first year of Zadina's ELC will be burned if he plays in 10 games, but maybe there is another impact if he spends X days on the roster, something like counting as a year of service. That could impact RFA valuation or the number of years of RFA status.

I have to believe that this transaction was done to either free up the roster spot for something that didn't happen, or to manage Zadina's rights in some way that we haven't identified.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Nope. This doesn't pass the logic test. Vegas has 160k in cap room for the season, the very least in the NHL. For them, every single dollar matters. Detroit has 12M in cap space, the very most in the NHL. There is no way we're taking on enough salary for that to matter. It is simply impossible. As the season goes on, that cap space can hold larger contracts because only a portion of a player's salary remains. Do you honestly think Yzerman is going to trade for 25M or more in expiring contracts in a month or two? That's the only situation where saving money by sending Zadina down for a day would matter, in terms of cap dollars. Even then we're stretching reason.

So, we can rule that out. There must be something else. It has been a while since I've read through the CBA, but there used to be clauses about the number of days a player spent on an NHL roster, not just games played. We know that the first year of Zadina's ELC will be burned if he plays in 10 games, but maybe there is another impact if he spends X days on the roster, something like counting as a year of service. That could impact RFA valuation or the number of years of RFA status.

I have to believe that this transaction was done to either free up the roster spot for something that didn't happen, or to manage Zadina's rights in some way that we haven't identified.

Well logically you could say that it's efficient to do this regardless of how close you are to the cap. Could even be an automated process.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Well logically you could say that it's efficient to do this regardless of how close you are to the cap. Could even be an automated process.

I get your point, but why go through that hassle if it doesn't accomplish anything? Only so much can be automated. Yzerman still had to call Zadina and we know that made Zadina anxious. Why put a player through that for imaginary money that will never be used? It is illogical.

There must be more to the story. Cap space doesn't provide an adequate explanation.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I get your point, but why go through that hassle if it doesn't accomplish anything? Only so much can be automated. Yzerman still had to call Zadina and we know that made Zadina anxious. Why put a player through that for imaginary money that will never be used? It is illogical.

There must be more to the story. Cap space doesn't provide an adequate explanation.

I don't think Zadina and McIlrath even left the team after they were sent down. They could be aware of the fact that it's just a paper transaction. Not trying to discount that there's more to the story (failed trade or something), but this just makes sense.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
His shot generation worries me. 0 shots in his last 2 games. He needs to find a way to become more of a threat out there and generate chances, or he should be in the AHL.

He is playing like Nyquist. More of a puck-carrier/playmaker. Like, created two scoring situations for Fabbri who scored.

Shots seen mostly on the PP. Like his goal.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is playing like Nyquist. More of a puck-carrier/playmaker. Like, created two scoring situations for Fabbri who scored.

Shots seen mostly on the PP. Like his goal.

Big night for him Henkka! Super happy for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad