Recalled/Assigned: Zadina sent back down to Grand Rapids (Recalled 12/12)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Now I'm confused...

Was there not just an article from 2 days ago saying that they sent him down for the 6 game road trip? Now he's back? I guess it's all for Cap reasons, but Khan was clearly out of the loop with that article.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't care where they were drafted.

Drafting has changed a lot in last 10 years. Talents go in different order.

Zadina isn't doing anything extremely bad compared to his draft mates. Those are the best measuring point.

Just the expectations are wrong. Not his development. People automatically think that 6.overall should be something special instantly.

That's just nothing more than being unpatient. Yzerman is calling people to be patient and people are not patient.
I respectfully disagree.

I'm not expecting Zadina to be, "something special instantly", and I said as much in my previous reply. But it's perfectly reasonable to expect a player taken at 6 to have a higher ceiling and show flashes of said higher ceiling, than a player taken in the 2nd or 4th round. Otherwise use the pick on somebody else, and take him later.

Again, I think Zadina is doing fine, and I believe he will continue to develop and improve. But if he eventually maxes out as a Tatar or Nyquist, with a top end of 40+ points a year, that's a disappointment for #6 overall. It's not PPG or bust, but he definitely needs to (eventually) be squarely within first line winger status to justify the draft slot, especially since Hughes went next to Vancouver and is already lighting it up as a scoring defenseman - his 24 points is only one behind Bertuzzi for this entire roster - which is arguably a bigger team need.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Larkin isn't skating today, and I'm wondering if this is ultimately the reasoning for Zadina coming back.

Either that, or they had a move in place that just fell through.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Now I'm confused...

Was there not just an article from 2 days ago saying that they sent him down for the 6 game road trip? Now he's back? I guess it's all for Cap reasons, but Khan was clearly out of the loop with that article.

According to Khan, Larkin isn't practicing today, so that might have changed the plans a bit for Zadina who conveniently may not have been scheduled to fly out west with Cholowski until sometime today.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Larkin isn't skating today, and I'm wondering if this is ultimately the reasoning for Zadina coming back.

Either that, or they had a move in place that just fell through.

Its very likely it was just for cap reasons, get a little bit of savings by sending those 2 down. The Griffins were already out in California when he was assigned so he obviously wasnt going to be out there for a bit.

As for the trade stuff, I dont know why people thought that. Yzerman could've just done all the moves at the same time if a trade was coming, he doesnt need to assign those guys hours before its finalized. Not saying its just you because wings twitter is full of it right now but theres a lot of overthinking going on here.

Neither guy had to clear waivers to go down and get some savings.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Probably just paper moves for financial reasons (maximizing cap space). A lot of teams have been doing that this season.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Gustav Nyquist had 1+6=7 points after his first 18 NHL games.

And he was 2 years older than Zadina on those times. In a better team, a contender. We saw the EXPLOSION on later years.

Disappointed yeah, but people in here could still be expecting too much from Zadina.

***Zadina has a goal and 5 assists in 16 games

Another example, Tomas Tatar had 1 goal in his first 9 NHL games. No assists. He debuted on same age, few months older than Zadina is now.

Zadina also has had 23+25=48 points in 79 AHL games. That's 0.61 point per game.

Tatar had 16+16=32 points after 58 games (0.55 point per game) on his AHL rookie season (2nd year pro, had 1 pro year at Slovakia)

Zadina, AHL-rookie, 59 games, 16+19=35 pts
Tatar, AHL-rookie, 58 games, 16+16=32 pts

They were almost identical aged on those seasons.

Imo, Zadina is a bit head of the development curve of Tatar, and definitely ahead of Nyquist.

I expect him to be a Tatar/Nyquist typed of modern hybrid in his prime. Never proably our 1st line RW, because that's Mantha. But great 2nd line RW.

I don't know what others are expecting? Maybe too much because of the pick height?

I understand that people are desperate to see these kids in NHL, because the team sucks. But they have to developed in a lower league and let them DOMINATE the lower league, before promoted.

Don't need overripening or anything like that, but you just need to be NHL-ready. Zadina has now gotten the taste. He knows something about the game pace, how to develop himself, what was good, what was bad. When he will concentrate on those things, next season will be his real NHL rookie season.

At next season I would be first time concerned, if he is getting nothing done.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
HSJ said that both AA and Mantha are skating today. Howard practicing but groin still sore. Larkin illness more then likely wont play. Happy that Mantha is starting to skate again. Edit both AA and Larkin out this evening against Winnipeg. Looks like the Wings will go with 11 forwards and 7 defenseman this evening at LCA.

Last edited:
Reactions: JIM Johnson

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What the hell....

There has to be something in the works here... Otherwise Zadina just got rewarded for setting up the Wings only goal on Tuesday with AHL wages for a day. :laugh::laugh:

And by that last "he", does Khan mean Zadina didn't want to tell him why, or Yzerman didn't want to tell Zadina why?????

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Blashill said that Danny DeKeyser, Jimmy Howard and Anthony Mantha are all nearing returns, All 3 could be ready as early as next week if not by this weekend. Sounding like we finally might be getting healthy here folks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His shot generation worries me. 0 shots in his last 2 games. He needs to find a way to become more of a threat out there and generate chances, or he should be in the AHL.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
But why? We have plenty of cap space, close to 12 mil.

Why not maximize your cap space if all it takes is a little paper move? More space to take a bad contract in a trade. Seems like the simplest answer to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Golden Knights reassign Cody Glass, 2 others to AHL

Up and down, back and forth. The Golden Knights continue to take advantage of the waiver-exempt status of their young players

The latest example came Monday, as the Knights reassigned forwards Cody Glass and Nicolas Roy along with defenseman Nic Hague to their American Hockey League affiliate.

The moves are designed to accrue additional space under the salary cap, and the trio are expected to return to the NHL prior to Wednesday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.​

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Could be something in the works with all the roster bouncing. Or it could just be the team exploiting the loophole just in case they want to do something. If I'm Yzerman, I don't want to comment, "We are exploiting the system."

Reactions: ThankGord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad