Recalled/Assigned: Zadina sent back down to Grand Rapids (Recalled 12/12)

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
He did some good things in this stint, but it's for the best. This team is a dumpster fire right now. I can still see Zadina developing into a solid two-way winger that can bury 30 goals/season. Let him build confidence and chemistry with our other top prospect in GR.

Reactions: golffuul

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Its a weird feeling being happy about this.

Like if anything I think this recent call up should help him, since he played pretty well on an awful team with horrible line mates. give him a few games to readjust to the AHL and let him lead a team for the rest of the season.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah....last night was rough to watch, so I am not shocked in the slightest that they sent Zadina back down to at least have the chance to win games. Such a gutless 2nd half to the game and Blashill doesn't have a clue what to do with this team anymore.

I happened to be watching the TSN feed for this one, and Adam Lowry, during the first intermission, was actually quite complimentary about how hard most of the players work. So one has to wonder where the problem lies. Either we have the dumbest bunch of rocks on the planet who can work as hard as they want, but can't think their way out of a paper bag, or the way the players are being asked to play simply doesn't allow a team to be successful.

Thankfully, both situations are able to remedied. But I have to admit it's hard to sit back and watch it happen, despite the players' desire to want to be better than what they have shown and continue to watch players like Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Zadina have their confidence eroded away from them.

Reactions: Lil Bert

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Griffs are in California through early next week, so not the worst thing in the world to leave behind the cold for a week.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If I had to make a guess, Athanasiou is expected back and rather than force Zadina back down the lineup and scratch someone, they just would rather send him to GR.

I can't imagine this is due to him not being "ready" because he has created some of the team's most dangerous chances, and if you look at the span of 7 games that he's been up for: Fabbri has 3 goals and 1 assist, Larkin has 2 goals and 2 assists, and Zadina is tied with Bertuzzi with 3 assists. And one of those assists for Bertuzzi came because a point shot hit his ass and landed on the goal scorer's stick, but Zadina set up the scoring play. Outside of those 4 players, nobody has more than 1 point in Zadina's 7 game stretch.

This one is a tough sell for me. I would like to hear comments within the organization as to why, and they better not start with "We think Fil didn't make enough of an impact to force himself into the lineup permanently."

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If I had to make a guess, Athanasiou is expected back and rather than force Zadina back down the lineup and scratch someone, they just would rather send him to GR.

I can't imagine this is due to him not being "ready" because he has created some of the team's most dangerous chances, and if you look at the span of 7 games that he's been up for: Fabbri has 3 goals and 1 assist, Larkin has 2 goals and 2 assists, and Zadina is tied with Bertuzzi with 3 assists. And one of those assists for Bertuzzi came because a point shot hit his ass and landed on the goal scorer's stick, but Zadina set up the scoring play. Outside of those 4 players, nobody has more than 1 point in Zadina's 7 game stretch.

This one is a tough sell for me. I would like to hear comments within the organization as to why, and they better not start with "We think Fil didn't make enough of an impact to force himself into the lineup permanently."

He plays more than 9 games he needs to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
True, although its not like we have a whole bunch of talent we need to protect...

I agree but why handcuff yourself, ya know?
What if we make some deals for players like Fabbri, and they need to be protected. If that happened and Zadina was left exposed this board would be screaming for Yzermans head for not sending him to GR in a throwaway season.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He plays more than 9 games he needs to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft.

You’ll have to show me where you have this information.

Zadina didn’t accrue a year of service last year. Players with 2 or fewer years of service do not need to be protected. If you assume he accrues a year this year, and then accrues a year next year, he’s still only at 2 years of service.

Maybe someone can clear this up if I’m incorrect, but based on what I believe is true, this isn’t something the team can hide behind.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Seeing the point totals laid out like that is incredibly depressing

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I don’t even know what to think anymore. He definitely earned a spot but I would keep him far away from this team.

Last night might be the last wings game I watch this year... it’s just depressing lol

Only 9 games left this year. Your NY resolution will be suffering through Wings games! :laugh:

chris05

May 23, 2013
_——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

well it’s like this. I would say at this present time probably 2 or 3 players in Grand Rapids that could actually bring something to the the wings that could actually help the team win a game. Having the ability to do something that will contribute towards a team win would help at this present time. Unfortunately the wings are not in a position where the other team has to pull the goalie late in the game so he can score a 666666 goal.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe they are just sending him down for tonights Griffins game then calling him back up for Red Wings Thursday's game. That seems to be Yzerman's M.O.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You’ll have to show me where you have this information.

Zadina didn’t accrue a year of service last year. Players with 2 or fewer years of service do not need to be protected. If you assume he accrues a year this year, and then accrues a year next year, he’s still only at 2 years of service.

Maybe someone can clear this up if I’m incorrect, but based on what I believe is true, this isn’t something the team can hide behind.

I could be confusing last year with this year making him eligible if he gets nine. But in all reality either way he doesn't need to suffer past nine games with the big club.

Let him get his nine days of full pro pay as a reward. But keep him away from the current travesty of this iteration of the drw. Maybe the upcoming expansion draft has changed compared to the Vegas draft however I'm not 100% positive either way.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Idk why everyone says, “good get him away from this shot team.” GR is a shit box too. There is no reason for the demotion. He’s one of our best/most consistent forwards in the last seven games.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I know he had some points, but I was not impressed with Zadina very much.
He had some hustled and strength on the assist last night.
But the areas where Zadina is supposed to be good?
His skill and shot are a long way from being *plus* at the NHL level.
He could take a regular shift at the NHL level and look OK on a bad team.

You can see improvement in the skating and strength. That's important.
He's going in the right direction.
So that's positive.
At the same time, he's not showing the flashes of skill/brilliance you'd like to see in a top 6 pick.
Necas is a year older, but his skill stands out regularly - like man - this guy is good!

For Zadina it's like - man I'm glad he got the secondary assist on that.
And that's not the measure I'm looking for.

He'll be back at the trade deadline. Wings almost surely will make room for him.

Reactions: odin1981

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Man I'm glad he got the secondary assist on that"

2 of his 3 assists he made great plays. But, okay.

Fact is, we scored 7 goals in the last 4 games and he was in on 3 of them. You can downplay it all you want.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
He improved a lot since last season. I hope he takes it in stride and lights up the AHL. I think he’s done a lot it starve off the bust questions for anyone that watched the games. I’d like to see them bring him up for the final 2 regular season games so he finishes the year as a Wing.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I could be confusing last year with this year making him eligible if he gets nine. But in all reality either way he doesn't need to suffer past nine games with the big club.

Let him get his nine days of full pro pay as a reward. But keep him away from the current travesty of this iteration of the drw. Maybe the upcoming expansion draft has changed compared to the Vegas draft however I'm not 100% positive either way.

Let him play 10 and negotiate with him earlier. Try to lock him in at a lower cap figure and try to maximize value in his early prime years.

Reactions: golffuul

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
"Man I'm glad he got the secondary assist on that"

2 of his 3 assists he made great plays. But, okay.

Fact is, we scored 7 goals in the last 4 games and he was in on 3 of them. You can downplay it all you want.

And various other quality plays where he doesn’t appear on the stat sheet but had a big role in creating the chance, including this one:

Not every shift is going to be a win. Not every shift results in a scoring chance, or a goal, or a sustained offensive zone pressure. He’s creating chances, albeit in limited fashion, that the rest of our team is not.

That being said, he’s not a finished product by any means and he can still learn in GR; I just feel that he could be better served in Detroit. This is one where we have to trust that the player development staff knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad