Recalled/Assigned: Zadina sent back down to Grand Rapids (Recalled 12/12)

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Haha, seriously?

You literally claimed you were being discriminated against financially because people were talking about an article behind a paywall. And here you are, apparently with the means to get beyond a paywall, and certainly with designs on discussing the observations you make behind that paywall.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Haha, seriously?

You literally claimed you were being discriminated against financially because people were talking about an article behind a paywall. And here you are, apparently with the means to get beyond a paywall, and certainly with designs on discussing the observations you make behind that paywall.

I didn't say that I was personally being discriminated against. I paid a $1 for a subscription to the paywall (not advertising their name here) site you're talking about back in October and I got a full refund after a week. No value there for me personally.

Not everyone has the means or the wants to subscribe.

AHL streaming provides real honest-to-goodness value. As does NHL.tv (which I also have).

You mad?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I talked a couple people into buying ahllive then the Griffs have gone to lose 6 straight. Hopefully they turn it around so I don’t feel like such an ass

its ok, I got a full refund today. Didn't do it because the griffs suck, I just don't have the time to watch any games. Way busier right now than I anticipated haha.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I didn't say that I was personally being discriminated against. I paid a $1 for a subscription to the paywall (not advertising their name here) site you're talking about back in October and I got a full refund after a week. No value there for me personally.

AHL streaming provides real honest-to-goodness value. As does NHL.tv (which I also have).

You mad?

Hey can you stop talking about AHL and NHL streaming? I have a friend on this site who doesn’t want to subscribe to it and he’s pretty upset over the fact that people are talking about hockey on a hockey forum.

Come on man. This is absurd. It’s your choice to not subscribe to The Athletic (I’ll advertise on their behalf for free since you think it somehow benefits them), so make the choice to not comment on threads that talk about subscription based content. Nobody wants to hear you complain about the fact that you willingly chose to be left out of a group.

That’s like saying you’re sad that you aren’t on the high school football team because you didn’t want to try out.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

You mad?

I'm not mad, but I'm starting to get the feeling that you would feel accomplished if I was.

Your post did nothing to refute the insane level of hypocrisy you are demonstrating in regards to your demands in regards to people discussing content behind paywalls. So I maintain that it's pretty funny to see.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Let's be honest. We're all disappointed he couldn't score a goal while up here. 1 goal in 16 career NHL games

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I know he had some points, but I was not impressed with Zadina very much.
He had some hustled and strength on the assist last night.
But the areas where Zadina is supposed to be good?
His skill and shot are a long way from being *plus* at the NHL level.
He could take a regular shift at the NHL level and look OK on a bad team.

You can see improvement in the skating and strength. That's important.
He's going in the right direction.
So that's positive.
At the same time, he's not showing the flashes of skill/brilliance you'd like to see in a top 6 pick.
Necas is a year older, but his skill stands out regularly - like man - this guy is good!

For Zadina it's like - man I'm glad he got the secondary assist on that.
And that's not the measure I'm looking for.

He'll be back at the trade deadline. Wings almost surely will make room for him.

You and VelenolikeaFeleno could be best friends.

EDIT: I post this and then discovered this is VelenolikeaFeleno... And it makes so much f***ing sense now. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric Eric

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Let's be honest. We're all disappointed he couldn't score a goal while up here. 1 goal in 16 career NHL games

Gustav Nyquist had 1+6=7 points after his first 18 NHL games.

And he was 2 years older than Zadina on those times. In a better team, a contender. We saw the EXPLOSION on later years.

Disappointed yeah, but people in here could still be expecting too much from Zadina.

Another example, Tomas Tatar had 1 goal in his first 9 NHL games. No assists. He debuted on same age, few months older than Zadina is now.

Zadina also has had 23+25=48 points in 79 AHL games. That's 0.61 point per game.

Tatar had 16+16=32 points after 58 games (0.55 point per game) on his AHL rookie season (2nd year pro, had 1 pro year at Slovakia)

Zadina, AHL-rookie, 59 games, 16+19=35 pts
Tatar, AHL-rookie, 58 games, 16+16=32 pts

They were almost identical aged on those seasons.

Imo, Zadina is a bit head of the development curve of Tatar, and definitely ahead of Nyquist.

I expect him to be a Tatar/Nyquist typed of modern hybrid in his prime. Never proably our 1st line RW, because that's Mantha. But great 2nd line RW.

I don't know what others are expecting? Maybe too much because of the pick height?

I understand that people are desperate to see these kids in NHL, because the team sucks. But they have to developed in a lower league and let them DOMINATE the lower league, before promoted.

Don't need overripening or anything like that, but you just need to be NHL-ready. Zadina has now gotten the taste. He knows something about the game pace, how to develop himself, what was good, what was bad. When he will concentrate on those things, next season will be his real NHL rookie season.

At next season I would be first time concerned, if he is getting nothing done.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Gustav Nyquist had 1+6=7 points after his first 18 NHL games.

And he was 2 years older than Zadina on those times. In a better team, a contender. We saw the EXPLOSION on later years.

Disappointed yeah, but people in here could still be expecting too much from Zadina.

Another example, Tomas Tatar had 1 goal in his first 9 NHL games. No assists. He debuted on same age, few months older than Zadina is now.

Zadina also has had 23+25=48 points in 79 AHL games. That's 0.61 point per game.

Tatar had 16+16=32 points after 58 games (0.55 point per game) on his AHL rookie season (2nd year pro, had 1 pro year at Slovakia)

Zadina, AHL-rookie, 59 games, 16+19=35 pts
Tatar, AHL-rookie, 58 games, 16+16=32 pts

They were almost identical aged on those seasons.

Imo, Zadina is a bit head of the development curve of Tatar, and definitely ahead of Nyquist.

I expect him to be a Tatar/Nyquist typed of modern hybrid in his prime. Never proably our 1st line RW, because that's Mantha. But great 2nd line RW.

I don't know what others are expecting? Maybe too much because of the pick height?

I understand that people are desperate to see these kids in NHL, because the team sucks. But they have to developed in a lower league and let them DOMINATE the lower league, before promoted.

Don't need overripening or anything like that, but you just need to be NHL-ready. Zadina has now gotten the taste. He knows something about the game pace, how to develop himself, what was good, what was bad. When he will concentrate on those things, next season will be his real NHL rookie season.

At next season I would be first time concerned, if he is getting nothing done.
Nyquist was drafted 121st overall.
Tatar was drafted 60th overall.
Zadina was drafted 6th overall, after being widely regarded as a borderline top 3 pick.

I'm still optimistic about his potential and patient with him as a prospect, but it's pretty easy to see why there should be much higher expectations at the same point in his development than either of the forwards you mentioned. The resources used to select him were night and day greater.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't care where they were drafted.

Drafting has changed a lot in last 10 years. Talents go in different order.

Zadina isn't doing anything extremely bad compared to his draft mates. Those are the best measuring point.

Just the expectations are wrong. Not his development. People automatically think that 6.overall should be something special instantly.

That's just nothing more than being unpatient. Yzerman is calling people to be patient and people are not patient.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad