Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
LOL

You seriously have the worst takes.

3 words that didn't describe Zadina tonight: Weak, slow, soft

This was the fastest I've ever seen him... and he wasn't catching the ice on fire. He had 0 hits, was -1 with 1 shot. Woot!

Fancy Sauce.

Fun experiment! Now send him back down so he can develop his game, get faster and get stronger.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This was the fastest I've ever seen him... and he wasn't catching the ice on fire. He had 0 hits, was -1 with 1 shot. Woot!

Fancy Sauce.

Fun experiment! Now send him back down so he can develop his game, get faster and get stronger.
Believe it or not, players can develop their game, get faster, and stronger while in the NHL.

I thought the Caps screwed up Wilson's development when they kept him in the NHL but he's got a complete game now. When he was a rookie, he could barely stick handle and just ran guys because that's all he could do. Now he runs guys and scores a few goals while on the top line.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Believe it or not, players can develop their game, get faster, and stronger while in the NHL.

I thought the Caps screwed up Wilson's development when they kept him in the NHL but he's got a complete game now. When he was a rookie, he could barely stick handle and just ran guys because that's all he could do. Now he runs guys and scores a few goals while on the top line.

Did he even play 14 minutes?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

They also had him on a line with useless plugs. Compared to Helm he would look slow, but Helm is basically a poor man's Dandenault at this point. Zadina needs to get some games in the NHL. I suspect if Yzerman was the GM last year Zadina would've played more than 9 games. Holland always had an unhealthy obsession with making ELCs last as long as he could, to the detriment of the player and team.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
They also had him on a line with useless plugs. Compared to Helm he would look slow, but Helm is basically a poor man's Dandenault at this point. Zadina needs to get some games in the NHL. I suspect if Yzerman was the GM last year Zadina would've played more than 9 games. Holland always had an unhealthy obsession with making ELCs last as long as he could, to the detriment of the player and team.
Yzerman would not have played Zadina more than nine games last year. I doubt if he even gets that this year.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
There is a difference between using the Entry Level Slide and over ripening players in the minors. Zadina and our current crop in GR are all pretty young, and the AHL is a good test for them, and if they earn a look in the show, 9 games is usually enough. Being able to slide the entry level deal is a key way to save money in a capped league, and its only possible for players who play less than 10 games during their 18 or 19 year old season. Over ripening is where players are otherwise NHL ready but the team wants to keep them in the minors for their development (which did not work out so well for us).

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Of all the nights Blashill didn't change up lines... I would have been interested to see Zadina with Hirose for a bit. I mean, I guess the only C option there would be Nielsen, but at least he's defensively responsible.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is a difference between using the Entry Level Slide and over ripening players in the minors. Zadina and our current crop in GR are all pretty young, and the AHL is a good test for them, and if they earn a look in the show, 9 games is usually enough. Being able to slide the entry level deal is a key way to save money in a capped league, and its only possible for players who play less than 10 games during their 18 or 19 year old season. Over ripening is where players are otherwise NHL ready but the team wants to keep them in the minors for their development (which did not work out so well for us).

And one thing people won't get is the difference between Top5 talents and late-bloomers.

Zadina won't need any overripening, just some extra experience from men's league for 1-2 seasons, to be prepared more for NHL.

Physically raw late developers could need overripening, for many years, like Nyquist did.

Difference is, that Nyquist wasn't a Top5 talent, he was a 4th rounder. Typical late bloomer, not physically ready for many years.

It's totally different world, where this current rebuilding Red Wings live vs. that playoff-streak Red Wings.

Our draft picks are at Top10, 2nd rounder is Top40, there could be extra first at Top30 from a contender. Lot more top talents and less late-bloomers because of the high-end draft position.

Formerly, we had probably sold our 1st pick and our first draft choise per every draft was a 2nd rounder somewhere at ~55-60 range. And then only late-rounders after that. That kind of drafting on the long run run targets only late-bloomers and totally different prospect environment, than the current one. That's why majority of the prospects had to be overipen.

Now there's five 1st rounders at Griffins and of course it's different policy with them. There's also some late-bloomers in the mix, but those are mostly in NCAA, or at Europe. There's no rush for them.

Different draft position creates different environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMenace

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
When they're ready...Zadina isn't. He's gonna need at least another year with Grand Rapids...I've always said this. He was just about to figure out the AHL. If the Redwings keep on abusing him as an injury fill in then he's probably gonna need even more time. Again, bad teams generally don't use their top prospects as injury fill in's. Top prospect should play when they're like overdue ready and otherwise stay in the minors.
Zadina looked good in his time.

I don’t think playing him was the wrong move at all, I think WHO he was playing with was the mistake. No reason he couldn’t just slot exactly into Mantha’s spot and keep the 2nd line intact

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Helm had the best chances. He certainly puts effort in as well, but the fact that he can't finish makes this statement untrue.

Helms of Stone on the break-away was the best chance. But Zadina's pass to Filppula was an A+ grade scoring chance. Filppula fired it right into Reimer's right pad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Helms of Stone on the break-away was the best chance. But Zadina's pass to Filppula was an A+ grade scoring chance. Filppula fired it right into Reimer's right pad.
Poor kid's stuck feeding 2 players that can't finish.

I hope for his sake that he gets to play with someone who can shoot. Slim pickings on this team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd like to see Zadina playing like someone who can shoot (anything more than a one-timer).
That's the only way he's gonna get any points on this team is to do it himself.

The irony is that everyone said he tries to do too much by himself, and needed to learn how to use his teammates. Now that he has, we need him to shoot, lol.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
So I just went to the AHL website and did a quick rundown of the top 20 regular season scorers from the past 10 years. (To get an idea of prospects who were allowed to stay in the AHL for a season, and subsequently produce good numbers). The only notable names I saw were Olafsson, Rantanen, Marchessault, and Tyler Johnson. Doesn’t seem that letting a prospect dominate the AHL has a great track record in terms of that prospect reaching his potential.

Also, in regards to Zadina’s progression, it’s not necessarily all about the level of his competition. It’s also about the quality of his linemates, and how they can possibly stunt the progression of his hockey I.Q. Filpulla/Helm are miles ahead of any GR linemates.

As long as Zadina isn’t blowing defensive assignments or turning the puck over or looking lost, it’s probably best he remain in the NHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't have to worry about his statistical production. He can't shine with that dead weight which still exists on the team. But after this tank season, Zadina and many other striggling Red Will get better linemates, and then things starting to change.

At next season Zadina, Svechnikov and Rasmussen should be up and Seider proably too. What if we sign Krug? Or bring up Elite forward (Lafs, Byfeld, Raymond) won on the lottery? That's one 5-man unit of better players than existing dead weight. Sure start of an upswing.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad