Recalled/Assigned: Zadina Recalled from GR

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
No, but I have eyeballs and have spent my entire life around hockey so I know a game changing player when I see one. Zadina has not been as promised, he does not create goals like a Matthews/Ovie/Hossa type which is exactly what he was advertised as when we drafted him.

Quinn Hughes is a franchise changing defenceman which we sorely lack. We screwed up.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought he was one of Detroits better forwards last night again. Its crazy he hasnt been given a shot with Larkin and Bertuzzi despite being in a 10 game losing streak and him actually playing well. 2 points in 5 games isnt great but its not bad given the role hes played and its probably close to leading the team in that 5 game time frame lol.

The advanced stats show more offense should be coming soon as well. Hes getting a lot of his shots through, his on ice shooting percentage is 0 but the opposing save percentage is 960 something. The points are coming, he should get his chance on the top line

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
No, but I have eyeballs and have spent my entire life around hockey so I know a game changing player when I see one. Zadina has not been as promised, he does not create goals like a Matthews/Ovie/Hossa type which is exactly what he was advertised as when we drafted him.

Quinn Hughes is a franchise changing defenceman which we sorely lack. We screwed up.

My greater point was exercising patience. Not everybody is shot out of a cannon development wise. Not everybody is physically mature enough as a 20 year old to be like those guys. Matthews and Ovie were both #1 picks so Zadina wouldn't likely be on their tier anyway.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Zadina, in 5 games, has as many points as:

Perlini
Nielsen
Daley
Ericsson
Biega
McIlrath
Erne
Ehn
Svech
Smith
-------------
Combined in 139 games

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

No one advertised him as an Ovie or Matthews lol who are you trying to fool? Hossa, sure that comparable was used a bit but it took Hossa 4 years post draft to turn into a top line player.

To compare with Hossa.
Zadinas draft year in junior was extremely comparable to Hossas post draft year in junior. Zadina had a so so AHL year while Hossa was still in junior. Right now at Zadinas age, Hossa was a 35-45 point NHL player. Zadina was having a really solid year in the AHL and has been on the worst team in the league of the past 20 years in the NHL. Hes been one of the better forwards though and looks like with a full season he would be right in that 35-45 point range and they both had extremely similar usage time on ice wise.

This team is so bad though its hard to judge anyone offensively unless theyre basically playing first line. Zadina is 5 points out of 7th in scoring for the forwards in only 5 games and hes been playing and hes playig with one assist Neilsen as his center.

Do I think Zadina is going to be as good as Hossa? Absolutely not. But is your crap you keep spewing true? Not really, hes tracking just like Hossa did when he came into the league, and its still very up in the air what he'll become. Not a single person thought the wings were getting an Ovie or Matthews at 6th overall, thats just blatant trolling

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It’s not even about the points. The organization told him to go get pucks himself and that’s exactly what he’s done.

His ability to adapt quickly and turn a weakness into a strength is a testament to his work ethic and ability. He’s had a Larkin-like year of progression which you don’t see every day.

He’s an NHL caliber player right now and should be earning a regular spot for the time being. Unfortunately for him the Red Wings brass is showing a real inability to utilize players correctly, regardless of how bad the roster is. I had some hope there for a minute but Blash and co have really disappointed me recently.

It also doesn’t help that we have no center depth. I’d like to see him with Filppula and Fabbri, then put AA with the big boys. Or something like that.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Probably the most impressive thing to me is that in the five games he's been up here, the Red Wings have been outscored 23-4 (16-2 at 5v5) and he's been on the ice for only one goal against.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No one advertised him as an Ovie or Matthews lol who are you trying to fool? Hossa, sure that comparable was used a bit but it took Hossa 4 years post draft to turn into a top line player.

To compare with Hossa.
Zadinas draft year in junior was extremely comparable to Hossas post draft year in junior. Zadina had a so so AHL year while Hossa was still in junior. Right now at Zadinas age, Hossa was a 35-45 point NHL player. Zadina was having a really solid year in the AHL and has been on the worst team in the league of the past 20 years in the NHL. Hes been one of the better forwards though and looks like with a full season he would be right in that 35-45 point range and they both had extremely similar usage time on ice wise.

This team is so bad though its hard to judge anyone offensively unless theyre basically playing first line. Zadina is 5 points out of 7th in scoring for the forwards in only 5 games and hes been playing and hes playig with one assist Neilsen as his center.

Do I think Zadina is going to be as good as Hossa? Absolutely not. But is your crap you keep spewing true? Not really, hes tracking just like Hossa did when he came into the league, and its still very up in the air what he'll become. Not a single person thought the wings were getting an Ovie or Matthews at 6th overall, thats just blatant trolling

Thank you for this. I think it is fair to say that Zadina's game isn't comparable to what Hossa was. Hossa wasn't just a goal scorer, he was a smart 200 foot player that wasn't afraid to use his size and reach to his advantage. He was strong on the puck and made quick smart decisions, but also very patient and could slow the game down. I haven't seen that with Zadina at all.

I'm still comfortable predicting Zadina will be a top 9 guy. But only those who live in the hindsight world would re-do the pick at 6. I would be a complete hypocrite if I criticize the Wings for drafting him.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Zadina is totally fine. He is just being misused in the normal lineup. I'm not exactly sure why they brought him up, only to play him on a 3rd line with Nielsen and Helm. If you brought him up to replace Mantha in the lineup then put him up with Larkin and Bertuzzi and let Fabbri and AA play together. Otherwise they should have brought up Puempel or Terry.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina is totally fine. He is just being misused in the normal lineup. I'm not exactly sure why they brought him up, only to play him on a 3rd line with Nielsen and Helm. If you brought him up to replace Mantha in the lineup then put him up with Larkin and Bertuzzi and let Fabbri and AA play together. Otherwise they should have brought up Puempel or Terry.

They brought him up to play on the 1st power-play. That's partially replacing Mantha.

But if the guy isn't a 1st line forward yet even at Griffins, why should they put him on the 1st line?

Just false expectations flying in here.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013

Nikita kucherov had 18 points in his first season in 52 games... I'm not saying that's where zadina ends up. But I am saying sometimes it takes a while for kids to find there game in the NHL.. sometimes even the game changers. Let's talk in a year or 2 with some actual quality NHL top line minutes with quality top line players under his belt before we consider him a bust.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They brought him up to play on the 1st power-play. That's partially replacing Mantha.

But if the guy isn't a 1st line forward yet even at Griffins, why should they put him on the 1st line?

Just false expectations flying in here.

Because our third line is so awful that having tougher matchups might be worth having exponentially better linemates.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Probably the most impressive thing to me is that in the five games he's been up here, the Red Wings have been outscored 23-4 (16-2 at 5v5) and he's been on the ice for only one goal against.
That is one benefit of playing with Helm. Despite his inability to score, he's +5 on this crap team, the only other plus player is Abby with +1. Might not be as fast and agile anymore, but Helm is still a good defensive player.

I don't think Zadina should be on the first line, but he looked good on the one shift he had with Flip and AA. I think that line could work.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zadina over Quinn Hughes looks like a huge mistake. It's still very early but it doesn't look good...

Yes. Unless Zadina changes his game significantly, he just doesn't look like he'll be an NHL player. He doesn't skate well, can't really accelerate, doesn't drive the play and, most alarmingly, has a pretty week shot. To me, he has a long way to go to become a star winger much less reliable top 6 forward. At minimum he needs another year in Grand Rapids after this season.

But I'm also not into playing the "what if" game for drafting. This team could have selected Julias Honka or Mirco Mueller but thankfully didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: nhlisawesome

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only 4 forwards has more NHL points than Zadina from his draft class.

Those are B.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi and Farabee.

All the others are also in farm systems or where-ever.

Just freaking too early to judge him. He is further on the development than Nyquist or Tatar was on his age, and that's what I expect him to be on his prime. Better version of those guys.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
About Zadina's usage:

Other 2018 draftees:

Brady Tkahuck, OTT, 4th overall 2018
17:42 Ice-Time, 3rd most in team = 1st line usage

Andrei Svechnikov, CAR, 2nd overall 2018
16:34 IceTime, 4th most in team = 2nd line usage

Joel Farabee, PHI, 14th overall 2018
14:52 Ice-Time, 8th most in team = 3rd line usage

Filip Zadina, DET, 6th overall 2018
13:55 Ice-Time, 8th most in team = 3rd line usage

Jesperi Kotkaniemi, MTL, 3rd overall 2018
12:13 IT, 13th most in team = 4th line usage

Isac Lundeström, ANA, 23rd overall 2018
11:15, 14th most in team = 4th line usage

Barrett Hayton, ARI, 5th overall 2018
11:08 Ice-Time, 13th most in team = 4th line usage

2019-20 points/game, all 2018 1st round picks this season in NHL
------------------------------
2nd overall - A.Svechnikov, 1.04
3rd overall - J.Kotkaniemi, 0.24
4th overall - B.Tkachuk, 0.57
5th overall - B.Hayton, 0.29
6th overall - F.Zadina, 0.40
11th overall - O.Wahlstrom, zero points
14th overall - J.Farabee, 0.45
23rd overall - I.Lundeström, zero points

Kotkaniemi has stuggled very bad at this season, and also Tkahuck isn't setting the world on fire like at his rookie season.

What comes to Zadina, it's clear that he isn't anyhow exeptionally bad compared to his draft class and draft position.

Only idiots in here are our HFB posters with too high expectaions. Even Jeff Blashill's usage isn't any problem, he uses Zadina just like other "better" coaches are using their same-aged prospects in their teams. Gives him a 1st PP opportunity and 3rd line IT. Farabee has the exact same treatment at Philadelphia.

So pretty much nothing to see in here. Just get your expectations on the right level. Zadina is doing well lately in AHL and will be part of our future.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
About Zadina's usage:

Other 2018 draftees:

Kotkaniemi has stuggled very bad at this season, and also Tkahuck isn't setting the world on fire like at his rookie season.

What comes to Zadina, it's clear that he isn't anyhow exeptionally bad compared to his draft class and draft position.

Only idiots in here are our HFB posters with too high expectaions. Even Jeff Blashill's usage isn't any problem, he uses Zadina just like other "better" coaches are using their same-aged prospects in their teams. Gives him a 1st PP opportunity and 3rd line IT. Farabee has the exact same treatment at Philadelphia.

So pretty much nothing to see in here. Just get your expectations on the right level. Zadina is doing well lately in AHL and will be part of our future.
They key difference is that the 3rd line can score on most teams. Helm's stats are equivalent to a 4th liner on the Capitals, and Nielsen has 1 pt.

Zadina deserves better, put him on the second line which is the equivalent of a third line on most teams.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Zadina, in 5 games, has as many points as:

Perlini
Nielsen
Daley
Ericsson
Biega
McIlrath
Erne
Ehn
Svech
Smith
-------------
Combined in 139 games

Great. While you are talking about players that were given to us for nothing, UFA and projects that'll likely never pan out... compared to our highest draft pick in like 200 years. Mean while McDavid had scored a goal in his first 4 EVER NHL games and was a complete rock star.

But then again, it is not fair to compare a #6 pick to a #1 pick... Likewise, counting his production to players who are in the AHL, waived, free, and likely flops... is just as insane.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
About Zadina's usage:

Other 2018 draftees:

Nice break down. It'll likely get ignored.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad