Recalled/Assigned: Zadina Recalled from GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dude I've been following him ever since he was drafted by us and he has not shown to be a pure goal scorer whatsoever which is what he was billed as to all of us. He's more of a checking forward who can score on the powerplay in the right situation. More Nyquist like than Ovie goal scorer. That is disappointing because you can't rebuild a team around a Nyquist but you can around your 40+ pure goal scoring talents like Ovechkin, Matthews, etc.
You don't see that kind of talent without a top 1 or 2 OA pick. I don't think anyone was expecting a generational talent.

He's made a lot of progress in the past year. AHL or NHL, I think he'll be OK as long as he gets ice time and PP time. If Blash starts cutting his ice time then it's time to send him down.

Reactions: Konnan511

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You don't see that kind of talent without a top 1 or 2 OA pick. I don't think anyone was expecting a generational talent.

He's made a lot of progress in the past year. AHL or NHL, I think he'll be OK as long as he gets ice time and PP time. If Blash starts cutting his ice time then it's time to send him down.

I don't understand why people are downplaying the hype that Zadina came with.
Well regarded hockey writers were touting him as a possible Calder candidate in his D+1 year, Some said he was the best natural shooter/scorer in the draft - better than Svech.

Red Wings fans' gleefully shared videos of Sens fans who freaked because they drafted Tkachuk instead of Zadina.

This is not to say that Zadina is a failure or a best, but he has absolutely not lived up to expectations - to this point.

That could all change and he could go on a huge scoring rampage starting tomorrow.

The more realistic scenario involves him returning to the AHL, coming back up at the end of the season, starting in Detroit next season and score 10 goals or something as a rookie - and building from there.

But, there's little doubt in my mind in two things:
1) So far, Zadina has not lived up to expectations.
2) Most people have lowered their expected upside for Zadina. Where as Zadina was viewed as a potential big-time scorer, most people now refer to him as a future top 6er.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
2) Most people have lowered their expected upside for Zadina. Where as Zadina was viewed as a potential big-time scorer, most people now refer to him as a future top 6er.

I see him as soft and weak. I was expecting him to put on some mass and get stronger on the puck. That hasn't happened, he reminds me of a less slippery/electrical Nyquist in the NHL who doesn't have a fraction of Nyquist's will and work ethics.

I'd be very surprised if Zadina turns out to be an elite NHL goal scorer.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't understand why people are downplaying the hype that Zadina came with.
Well regarded hockey writers were touting him as a possible Calder candidate in his D+1 year, Some said he was the best natural shooter/scorer in the draft - better than Svech.

Red Wings fans' gleefully shared videos of Sens fans who freaked because they drafted Tkachuk instead of Zadina.

This is not to say that Zadina is a failure or a best, but he has absolutely not lived up to expectations - to this point.

That could all change and he could go on a huge scoring rampage starting tomorrow.

The more realistic scenario involves him returning to the AHL, coming back up at the end of the season, starting in Detroit next season and score 10 goals or something as a rookie - and building from there.

He was viewed as a steal. At the time I said either we got a steal or every other team ahead of us knew something Ken Holland and Tyler Wright did not. I said the same with Veleno. Given where Veleno was drafted it's fair to say that the jury is still out. With Zadina there's really not anything to hang your opinion on if you think he was a steal. You just sort of hope at some point he lives up to the hype.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
just send him back down and put Perlini on the third line.

Ok.

Play more worse players and at same time blame Blashill about it.

I see him as the creative player, who should put our crap scorers to score more, because they play without him even with lesser players.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
IDK, I like the kid and he doesn't look out of place but he could stand to learn that hard nosed play that Larkin and Bertuzzi have. He doesn't seem to get to the wall or have the instinct to even try until its already gone. I think he has a good set of tools, but we have to remember that it takes a while for some prospects to get going. This is the first season Mantha's looked good and he's 24. Given that Zadina was picked 10+ slots ahead of Mantha I know we'd love to see him ready sooner, but maybe another year or two with tempered expectations would do all of us well.

Unrelated takes.
We need to fire Blashill, he has a sh*tty team but two goals in four games is pathetic. We can all agree to some extent that his player utilization is brutal.
If we don't get a top five pick, we should draft Askarov. Pittsburgh drafted Fleury first overall in 2003 and he dragged them to a few cups. Goalies don't just show up and it's looking like he's a top player anyways.
Yzerman needs to trade for a center. We have a lot of "supposedly" talented wingers who weren't exceling because of bad utilization, but putting them on the third line with Nielsen as their center who has one assist thru 24 games is a killer. Any other reclamation projects out there?

Pittsburgh also drafted a couple future first ballot hall of famers named Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ok.

Play more worse players and at same time blame Blashill about it.

I see him as the creative player, who should put our crap scorers to score more, because they play without him even with lesser players.
Does it really matter who plays with Nielsen and Helm? That's not going to change this season at all.

Fact of the matter is that the 3rd and 4th lines are going to be offensive black holes until the team gets better centers. Nielsen and Ehn aren't going to drive any offense. Quite frankly, I'd go with Helm and LGD as centers, at least they can score once in a blue moon, as opposed to the 2 guys competing for the Sheahan Award.

I want to see Zadina play but not with Nielsen. That's all I'm saying.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
We'll never know if Hughes would've been the pick if Zadina was off the board, I guess Bouchard was the rumored pick.

Two notable things for me:

1. The Canucks table was visibly giddy that we picked Zadina. It's fairly apparent from footage they were higher on Hughes.
2. I just don't think Hughes has his current rookie success on this Wings team. He has a better supporting cast in Vancouver and basically just uses ridiculous skating to put himself in a position to serve up pucks. He's a much better fit there.

I'm rooting for Zadina to live up to his hype. He still has time to figure things out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He was viewed as a steal. At the time I said either we got a steal or every other team ahead of us knew something Ken Holland and Tyler Wright did not. I said the same with Veleno. Given where Veleno was drafted it's fair to say that the jury is still out. With Zadina there's really not anything to hang your opinion on if you think he was a steal. You just sort of hope at some point he lives up to the hype.

I agree. Picking him was bitter/sweet for me. He was supposed to be a top 3 pick, but I really, really wanted Dobson. My hype was all on Dobson at the time.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I agree. Picking him was bitter/sweet for me. He was supposed to be a top 3 pick, but I really, really wanted Dobson. My hype was all on Dobson at the time.

Yep. Dobson was my hope there too.
Had the 6'2, 6'3 frame and also skated very well.

IMO..
if we come away with Dobson instead of Zadina... that frees us to draft Zegras or Cozens last year instead of going off board to take Seider.

We'd be just as strong at RD.
And at C we'd have Veleno and Zegras or Cozens behind Larkin.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Where's the Veleno hype stemming from anyway? As far as I can tell, he's struggling mightily and not scoring while playing horrendous D.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Where's the Veleno hype stemming from anyway? As far as I can tell, he's struggling mightily and not scoring while playing horrendous D.
He had a good offensive season last year in the CHL, though because of his exceptional status, he had an extra year of CHL experience over other D+1s.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I see him as soft and weak. I was expecting him to put on some mass and get stronger on the puck. That hasn't happened, he reminds me of a less slippery/electrical Nyquist in the NHL who doesn't have a fraction of Nyquist's will and work ethics.

You’re entitled to your opinion but based on AHL stats alone Zadina is miles ahead of what Nyquist was at the same age.

While I doubt he’ll ever be a game breaker, I think he can still develop into a solid 25-30 goal 60 point guy.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You’re entitled to your opinion but based on AHL stats alone Zadina is miles ahead of what Nyquist was at the same age.

While I doubt he’ll ever be a game breaker, I think he can still develop into a solid 25-30 goal 60 point guy.

And to be fair, that’s what everyone has been hoping to get out of Mantha for years. It wasn’t until late last year, and the way he started this year that people thought he could be a threat to flirt with 40 goals and exceed 60 points comfortably.

Granted, people never spoke about Mantha as a sure thing heading into the draft, but I think we still have to be aware of how some players just need time to put it together.

Dotter’s problem seems to be the rapidness of which he expects to see changes. Saying things like “I expected him to put on mass and be stronger on the puck” would infer that Zadina’s already done all the bulking and strengthening that he ever will do as a professional hockey player at the age of 19/20. Zadina is clearly a much stronger player from last year to this year, but I still think he’s not even halfway to where his strength development will take him.

As for the Nyquist thing, I think Zadina is being led down a path where they don’t want him to play like Nyquist. So saying “he’s not as slippery as Nyquist” isn’t a bad thing, because Nyquist did play a really soft and passive game. He lived on the perimeter, and while he was good at that, I think his potential ended up capped by his unwillingness to play a harder game and get to the dirty areas. I don’t think the team wants Zadina to play Ovechkin’s game. I don’t think the team wants him to play Nyquist’s game. I think they want him to play his game, which is at its best when he’s trying to beat the other team in a variety of ways. Using his shot, driving the net, making great reads and passes, getting into the teeth of the defense. And I do think we see glimmers of it, but it’s still a thing that will require him to have faith that he’s capable, which comes down to his confidence level. If he’s confident, he will try the things that make him still a special prospect, it’s just going to take time to see it manifest.

Reactions: Goodman68

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dotter’s problem seems to be the rapidness of which he expects to see changes. Saying things like “I expected him to put on mass and be stronger on the puck” would infer that Zadina’s already done all the bulking and strengthening that he ever will do as a professional hockey player at the age of 19/20.

I never once said that. I have said repeatedly, in no uncertain terms, Zadina is not near NHL ready and should NOT be in the NHL playing right now. He needs to be in the AHL to hone his craft and work on his softness and strength. Zadina is also more of a 'one-trick-pony' and isn't going to single handedly take over games or be a game breaker you can count on. He was drafted #6 and I was extremely happy at the time. Now, it's more like meh.

EDIT: and to be honest, Zadina isn't even showing an NHL shot which was supposed to be his best trait. He has a long ways to go...

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
When can we start banning some of these trolls? This is getting out of hand...
I recommend the ignore function, these people have no idea about context, and the fact the coaching throughout this organisation is a complete joke, making the prospects look worse than what they are.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

think maybe someday he can become a "freaking useless moron" like Athanasiou and put up 30 goals?

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
We'll never know if Hughes would've been the pick if Zadina was off the board, I guess Bouchard was the rumored pick.

Two notable things for me:

1. The Canucks table was visibly giddy that we picked Zadina. It's fairly apparent from footage they were higher on Hughes.
2. I just don't think Hughes has his current rookie success on this Wings team. He has a better supporting cast in Vancouver and basically just uses ridiculous skating to put himself in a position to serve up pucks. He's a much better fit there.

I'm rooting for Zadina to live up to his hype. He still has time to figure things out.

No, we know they weren't going to pick Hughes, even if Zadina was off the board. Quinn's agent told him prior to the draft he wasn't going to Detroit.

“I was kind of told a couple days earlier that I wasn’t going to be going to the Red Wings,” Quinn said Tuesday. “So I just wrapped my head around that.”

Did The Red Wings Miss On Quinn Hughes? He's Over It Now.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Is anybody else a little pissed off that this guy was a highly promised goal scorer and was supposed to have some nasty, elite shot? Like where the hell has that shot and goal scoring ability been since we drafted him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad