Speculation: Zadina and Rasmussen are BOTH Busts!

For their draft spots are you happy with what you got out of them?

• Total voters

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Ras is finding his niche which is great to see, he could turn out to be our Brian Boyle which I really like. Zadina hasn't changed my mind, I still think he's not a very good hockey player.. His two way game has improved this year but his shot is still mediocre, his skating is average and his hockey IQ is borderline abysmal.

Reactions: NickH8
Oct 18, 2006
Said for a while now that Ras is trending much better then Zadina. Sure, Fil may have higher upside, but if I’m betting on one I’m betting on Ras. Great work ethic, on top of his size and skating, so I think he’s going to be a good 15-15 guy (+ more) for many years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Said for a while now that Ras is trending much better then Zadina. Sure, Fil may have higher upside, but if I’m betting on one I’m betting on Ras. Great work ethic, on top of his size and skating, so I think he’s going to be a good 15-15 guy (+ more) for many years.
I'm not so sure I would consider the bolded "upsides" with regards to Rasmussen.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Rasmussen scores the goals I like, blue paint or just outside.

Reactions: Filppula

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Really? His size alone will keep him in the league for many years. And guys that size usually take a while to figure it all out. Definitely an upside for me.
Perhaps he gets stronger on his skates and uses it to his advantage.

There is also a chance he never bulks up and becomes the center version of Dekeyser.

Reactions: Gniwder

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Let's keep in mind the talent around these guys. Many young guys enjoying big seasons are surrounded by elite talent.

Detroit has not offered that opportunity the last 5 years or more.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Give them both a new coach before we condemn them. Zadina is playing much better with Vrana now. Raz is putting this thread to rest

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
It's nice to see an uptick in production from Rasmussen but until he significantly improves his balance and develops a legitimate mean streak (where opponents are looking over the shoulder when he's around) he'll leave me wanting for more.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
It's nice to see an uptick in production from Rasmussen but until he significantly improves his balance and develops a legitimate mean streak (where opponents are looking over the shoulder when he's around) he'll leave me wanting for more.
Yeah so these are all things that have been improving in the second half of the season which is what we have been talking about

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
His balance has not significantly improved and he's still fake tough. He's not Sheehan level of being completely flaccid, but no opponent cares how big he is unless he's a physical force. He has a ways to go.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I’m pretty sure ras the past few games has played grittier than dekeyser has ever played in his whole career.
Okay, and I wasn't using DK as a 100% comparable, either. Simply that we expected him to fill in and he never did, which is a possibility with Ras.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ras is finding his niche which is great to see, he could turn out to be our Brian Boyle which I really like.

Why not becoming the next Chris Kreider after some development?

Rasmussen is year younger than Kreider, who had scored 19 NHL-goals as 23-year old.

Rasmussen is 22 and has scored 23 NHL goals.

The career is still young and tall bodies take longer to develop. Guys Zhara looked like a bust on that age.

It's obvious that he's not a "schwarzenegger" yet. But some day. When he'll get the strength, then comes the balance, and that combo will become a force.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I have to watch him a bit more. Last night he made exactly the same turnover he has made now 3 times in 4 games, backhand passs to nobody.
He had that nice pass to Vrana sending Vrana on a breakaway. Vrana executed terribly. The only player Zadina has chemistry with is Vrana.

Watching him is like replaying the same game over and over, lol.

He does indeed have chemistry with Vrana, I mentioned it before he came back that I'd like to see them together before I throw in the towel. The problem is that I don't think Vrana is good enough to carry Zadina on the second line, and he's also too good to be playing on the third line if that's where Zadina winds up.

You can't expect a player to score on every breakaway, at least it wasn't a Helm-like failure. Nice play by Zadina though, he seems motivated to get Vrana the puck which is good.

As for Raz, it's good that he's finally scoring those dirty goals, but we're still looking at a third liner at best. The only way he moves up is if he winds up being as strong as Tom Wilson.

They're both still young, but damn their progress is slow AF.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I am happy to see Rasmussen become a viable net front presence. He was never going to be your typical scoring line pivot, he simply does not have that skill set. If he can continue on his most recent trajectory of being a garbage man who is difficult to move then he should have a nice NHL career. Sunny also had a really nice screen where he completely blocked a goalie's view which led to a goal that would have been easily saved otherwise.

Reactions: Filppula

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Let's keep in mind the talent around these guys. Many young guys enjoying big seasons are surrounded by elite talent.

Detroit has not offered that opportunity the last 5 years or more.

Raymond is doing fine with Larkin and Bert when he was on the top line. Zadina was a complete defensive liability on the top line.

Neither would even get ice time on a playoff team, the argument that they need to play with elite talent to be good just means they suck. It's an argument that died when Raymond started putting up points, stop beating the dead horse.

Reactions: njx9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad