Speculation: Zadina and Rasmussen are BOTH Busts!

For their draft spots are you happy with what you got out of them?

• Total voters

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You’re telling me zadina doesn’t have merit over Erne? Get a grip, that’s overhating Zadina.
We're not there in practice or for what goes on off the ice. Ultimately I think it's splitting hairs. Since February 1st, Zadina has 1 more point than Erne. This isn't a case where one player is clearly and obviously performing at a much higher level.
Bottom line is opportunity shouldn't be automatic for Zadina.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Zadina and Erne both very much suck these days. Their effort/competence quotient is near rock bottom. Both have shown they can be better than they are (Zadina barely), but both are currently awful. Based on age, Zadina may be given more time, but I don't see a future in Detroit for either of them.

Rasmussen keeps coming along though. At a snail's pace maybe, but he's staying just above that "this guy probably eventually needs to go" line. He's far from exciting, but he may have some use in the future.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I always thought Zadina would at least be a good power play player, the question was always how good he would be at even strength.

But damn, I have hated his play/decisions on the power play this year. Even with the extra time/space he has found ways to be ineffective and irresponsible.

I’m really at a loss for how he’s played this year. Kind of feel like Ja Rule in that fyre fest meme.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I always thought Zadina would at least be a good power play player, the question was always how good he would be at even strength.

But damn, I have hated his play/decisions on the power play this year. Even with the extra time/space he has found ways to be ineffective and irresponsible.

I’m really at a loss for how he’s played this year. Kind of feel like Ja Rule in that fyre fest meme.
Zadina made a bad turnover vs Sens on home ice when we were on the PP and then exactly the same mistake last game. He really struggles to make good plays in the offensive zone.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Zadina made a bad turnover vs Sens on home ice when we were on the PP and then exactly the same mistake last game. He really struggles to make good plays in the offensive zone.

Everyone keeps saying Joey is a slow learner, meanwhile Zadina and Raz go out every game and keep making the same stupid mistakes. Both of them keep doing the same thing even when it doesn't work, meanwhile Joey's figuring out the game one move at a time.

Anyways, here's something funny:
89Sam GagnerC688162428-71989-08-1032London, ONT5.11197
27Michael RasmussenC6710112146-271999-04-1722Surrey, BC6.06210
11Filip ZadinaR668122010-291999-11-2721Pardubice, Czech Rep.6.00197
73Adam ErneL685111632-231995-04-2026New Haven, CT6.01211
90Joe VelenoC53771422-82000-01-1321Montreal, PQ6.01206

They're all being outplayed by Gagner.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Everyone keeps saying Joey is a slow learner, meanwhile Zadina and Raz go out every game and keep making the same stupid mistakes. Both of them keep doing the same thing even when it doesn't work, meanwhile Joey's figuring out the game one move at a time.

Anyways, here's something funny:
89Sam GagnerC688162428-71989-08-1032London, ONT5.11197
27Michael RasmussenC6710112146-271999-04-1722Surrey, BC6.06210
11Filip ZadinaR668122010-291999-11-2721Pardubice, Czech Rep.6.00197
73Adam ErneL685111632-231995-04-2026New Haven, CT6.01211
90Joe VelenoC53771422-82000-01-1321Montreal, PQ6.01206

They're all being outplayed by Gagner.
Gagner is in his last year/s of his career. The kids are learning the ropes. He was also a top 10 pick and had a 8 points game. Next season they all might outplay him.

I need time to watch Zadina, Rasmussen and Veleno.
Rasmussen might score 12-15 goals this season, then it would be realistic 20 next year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina needs new coach, he needs to do a lot of work this summer. His biggest problem is to be confident. This is not time to trade him

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Gagner is in his last year/s of his career. The kids are learning the ropes. He was also a top 10 pick and had a 8 points game. Next season they all might outplay him.

I need time to watch Zadina, Rasmussen and Veleno.
Rasmussen might score 12-15 goals this season, then it would be realistic 20 next year.

Well Gagner is actually trending up, Raz is slightly, Joey is a rookie, but Zadina is trending down.

The reason why I keep calling Zadina "Poor man's Gagner" is because neither have exceptional physical talents in any regard, but at least Gagner has a few tricks up his sleeves and can score every now and then. Also want to point out that Gagner toped out at 22 years old....

I don't see Zadina or Raz progressing at all unless they decide to bulk up and also work on their skating. Otherwise they're bound to plateau like Gagner did. I'm not as concerned about Joey, he's got NHL strength and skating, he just needs to figure out the NHL game.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Would DET be interested in moving Rasmussen or Zadina for Poehling + , I think those players could use a change of scenary

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well Gagner is actually trending up, Raz is slightly, Joey is a rookie, but Zadina is trending down.

The reason why I keep calling Zadina "Poor man's Gagner" is because neither have exceptional physical talents in any regard, but at least Gagner has a few tricks up his sleeves and can score every now and then. Also want to point out that Gagner toped out at 22 years old....

I don't see Zadina or Raz progressing at all unless they decide to bulk up and also work on their skating. Otherwise they're bound to plateau like Gagner did. I'm not as concerned about Joey, he's got NHL strength and skating, he just needs to figure out the NHL game.
Rasmussen is a big buy and it takes time to develop those players.
Zadina struggles with confidence. Just about everything he does in the offensive zone is wrong.
Veleno has played fewest games. I really disliked the penalty he took last game. But he needs the icetime and he will get it rest of the season.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Draper/Maltby offense didn’t translate from JR to the NHL and both changed their game to become successful.

If Zadina had any sense he’d realize that he’s in the same boat.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Zadina struggles with confidence. Just about everything he does in the offensive zone is wrong.
That's obviously not a confidence issue, it's a hockey IQ issue.

What's really strange about him is that he tries to repeat things that fail, not things that work. It might just be an IQ thing, not just hockey. Either that or he thinks he's still playing in the juniors.

Might just be me, but I think there's something off about him. Every time he does something right, you think he's made a breakthrough then he goes right back to doing crap that doesn't work. I've coached middle aged ski instructors that learn faster...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'd gladly trade either guy, along with picks, for veteran defensemen that stabilize this team next year.
I don't see either guy ever amounting to something you can't find in the off-season bargain barrel.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I would take him becoming Draper over whatever he is now...

He’s not fast or gutsy enough. Draper was everything you wanted of a 4th line guy. The closest we came to prime Draper and Maltby was LGD and Helm before the back and wrist problems. Those guys in their prime would have been a huge help on a real contender.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Say what you want, but Rasmussen has been coming on as of late.

He had a huge hit tonight. His size and strength is starting to become apparent and he's a good skater especially for his size. Remember when he used to look like a young Bambi on ice out there?

bambi.gif

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Happiness is waking up in the morning and Zadina and Raz both scored in a win. This thread should be locked for at least a day when that happens
Winning and hurting our draft status after we are eliminated. This thread should be pinned on the top lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Say what you want, but Rasmussen has been coming on as of late.

He had a huge hit tonight. His size and strength is starting to become apparent and he's a good skater especially for his size. Remember when he used to look like a young Bambi on ice out there?

bambi.gif
He set the tone and Veleno followed him and delivered even a better hit.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That's obviously not a confidence issue, it's a hockey IQ issue.

What's really strange about him is that he tries to repeat things that fail, not things that work. It might just be an IQ thing, not just hockey. Either that or he thinks he's still playing in the juniors.

Might just be me, but I think there's something off about him. Every time he does something right, you think he's made a breakthrough then he goes right back to doing crap that doesn't work. I've coached middle aged ski instructors that learn faster...
I have to watch him a bit more. Last night he made exactly the same turnover he has made now 3 times in 4 games, backhand passs to nobody.
He had that nice pass to Vrana sending Vrana on a breakaway. Vrana executed terribly. The only player Zadina has chemistry with is Vrana.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad