Zack Phillips - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I honestly could see Phillips falling out of the first round, I think he's a good prospect, but I don't see it a stretch by any means that he'll last to at least 23rd overall.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pretty solid chance he's still there at 23 IMO, depends how he does in the Memorial Cup though.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
draft

too many teams looking for help at center--potential nuber 1 or 2 centerman are hard to find..atlanta/colorado/rangers/mtl/calgary/minnesota/chicago etc are all openly looking for help down the middle in this draft..scheife/philips/zienblad/mcneil are the group that will fill those spots, imo......bottom line centers particulaily those with size and skill are hard to find and are a hot commodity come draft day....i think zienblad will go to minny/phillips to calgary/scheife to rangers/mcneil to chicago, some like that, lol, pretty hard to predict.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
too many teams looking for help at center--potential nuber 1 or 2 centerman are hard to find..atlanta/colorado/rangers/mtl/calgary/minnesota/chicago etc are all openly looking for help down the middle in this draft..scheife/philips/zienblad/mcneil are the group that will fill those spots, imo......bottom line centers particulaily those with size and skill are hard to find and are a hot commodity come draft day....i think zienblad will go to minny/phillips to calgary/scheife to rangers/mcneil to chicago, some like that, lol, pretty hard to predict.

No the Avs aren't. They need mean blueliners and wingers with skill.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Does Phillips project as a centre or winger at the next level?

I like him as a winger just due to his skating (or lack of) ability. Bottom line is that the guy has great hands and can finish. I like that in wingers.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I like him as a winger just due to his skating (or lack of) ability. Bottom line is that the guy has great hands and can finish. I like that in wingers.

Agreed on that being the better spot for him. The problem is he hasn't been playing the wing so some teams might question how fit there and how he will play along the wall. But he's much more a future Luc Robitaille type, than a big rangy pivot. His skating is quite poor, so I could definitely see him getting picked in the 25-40 range.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, skating can definitely be improved, but after watching him 3 times this year I think a lot of teams won't have him on their 1st round list because of his less than stellar skating ability.

As others have pointed out, the kid has great hands, nice vision, playmaking, and can be physical, so could be a winger at the next level if he can improve his quickness a bit.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
mhm sounds like a nice prospect for the ducks to grab... we've been able to improve quite a few players skating abilities aka corey perry, bobby ryan etc..

Madic

May 21, 2008
Can he rise as high as 23, more like. Doubtful. Reminds me a lot of McKegg. Wouldn't want my team to take him in the 1st round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
really!? from who? :facepalm:

Don't bother asking. He said the same thing about the Ducks and Puempel (I think) and when people asked him how he knew that he never even responded.

thegutter

May 22, 2011
Zach phillips

Sorry if there is a thread on him already. I know hes ranked #15 by scouting but could anyone see him being picked alot earlier than that? He had been playing on Huberdeaus line most of the season, but did take a lot of the draws, so he can play wing or center. Is he really that good, and do you think it will translate into success in the NHL?

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
st john talent

Two way centerman, plays both ends of rink. Very very good offensive player. He and Huberdeau feed off each other for sure as most talented players do, however he like Huberdeau dont NEEd each other--huberdeau's points this mem cup have been without him as well Huberdeau was a tremendous scorer In Quebec midget hockey being the rookie of the year and top scoring rookie inthe league before Philips came into picture. Philips points in mem Cup have been on Jurcos goals as he before playing with huberdeau was a New England prep school all star, leading all sophmores in New England(34 teams) in scoring. Galiev scored 63 points in 60 games in the USHL playing for Indiana, so he was a scorer before Huberdeau/philips.
Philips had 32 points in his last 30 games in his rookie season playing without huberdeau on the 4th line. Frankly, Huberdeau scores just as well with Kirkpatrick who is a very underrated player on st john. Jurco/galiev/huberdeau/kirkpatrick/philips all compliment each other very well and all benefit from each other.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Agree with a lot of what's been said above, but the kid needs to work on his skating. It's his big knock. I love his offensive abilities though. Definitely could be a 1st round pick with a skillset like he has. Almost like Toffoli last year who slipped into the 2nd round.

thegutter

May 22, 2011

so if he develops properly which end of the spectrum does he put up numbers similar too, say a ryan kesler or a jarret stoll? While still maintaining his defensive play?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
He definitely has talent, but his skating and balance seem to be a problem. I find that he spends a lot of time on his butt. Maybe he needs to get stronger, but he is a good player who should go in the first round.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
NHL comparisons? Stastny, Pavelski, Bergeron? A poor man's version of a mixture of the three? Brennan Morrison, maybe? Am I just way, way off? Haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad