Zack Phillips - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Is absolutely lighting up the Q with 62 pts in 43 games. Im surprised his name doesn't get mentioned more. Do his number get inflated from playing with Huberdeau. Who is a good comparable for him? Im intrigued because he is a guy that edmonton could target with their 2nd round pick

Root

Feb 22, 2010
he's a great kid, very good player. he's going to go mid to late first imo at the rate he is going at. great player.

4Isles4*

I was hoping he wouldnt get too much atention....I keep saying it for some reason I have this gut feeling hes gonna be awsome in a few years....wish he would fall to he 2nd like toffoli but i dnt see that happening....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Any more word on his game and skillset? I also want to learn more about him.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
He's at his best when he's working hard. Digging in the corners, fighting for open ice, working against the boards. He's only listed at 6'00 and 180lbs, but he's got a solid build.

With that said, I've heard scouts complain when he doesn't work that hard. I've heard guys complain about him not playing physical, not being the first guy in the corner, never being the one to initiate contact, things like that. A bit of inconsistent effort, shift-to-shift and game-to-game.

I think he benefits a bit from the players he plays with. It seems a bit of a set play for Beaulieu to feed a pass from the point through traffic on the powerplay onto Phillips' waiting stick between the faceoff dot and the goal line and then for Phillips to fire it home. I'm a big fan of Huberdeau's playmaking and I definitely think Phillips has benefited from playing on his line as well.

I'm not sure if he's as good as the stats might suggest right now, but it's hard to say for the future. I don't see him being a first round pick, for instance.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's not just huberdeau, also the fact that there are 2 very good offensive dmen on the team.

similar to the effect that ottawa may be having on prince, scouts just have a hard time ranking a good young player playing with a bunch of better young players.

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006
Those who suggested Beaulieu feeds Phillips are completely false ... Phillips plays the PP along the boards and they often look for the point man for the 1-timer not Phillips.

He's doesn't mind physical play although he's often not the one initiating I wouldn't say he avoids it ... He had a few fights last year but hasn't had any this year yet.

The biggest problem Phillips has is skating ... He will need to improve his skating but he'd be the first person to admit that. Huberdeau does play with Phillips 90% of the time because they play very well together.

I watch almost every game including road games and I'd peg Phillips as a 2nd RD pick

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
philips

before you suggest a player benefits from another perhaps you should do the responsible thing and drill down just a bit espically if in Forbsie position of having a title attached to your name.
Last year philips had 44 points playing 4th line, 16 goals all of which were even strength.In comparision huberdeau had 35 points and played the second half with kirkpatrick and had plenty of PP time while philips had virtually none, in comparison also, galiev a 3rd rounder had 8 even strength goals and played with hoff/peterson...go back another year to prep hockey on the ushr website the kid had more points than any sophmore in nengland prep hockey and just 4 less than chris kreider who was a first rounder that year, but yet for whatever reson this kid never gets the respect he deserves, espically on the
chirp boards--mark it down he'll be gone in the first round no later than 18, the last few rankings are 32 mckenzie, 10 hockey news(ryan kennedy), 7(hoffener), 19(kimmelman), 13(morrelei)excuse spelling and 12 central scouting

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I like Phillips a lot, always have, even when he wasnt lighting it up last year as a rookie...but if he goes top 10, or even top 20 for that matter, there is something seriously wrong with the depth of this draft.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
before you suggest a player benefits from another perhaps you should do the responsible thing and drill down just a bit espically if in Forbsie position of having a title attached to your name.

I'll explain what I mean a bit more.
I feel that when Phillips is on the ice alongside of Jurco and Huberdeau, he's not the first or second option that the defense seems to focus on. This isn't necessarily a slight on Phillips, it's more a testament to why the Sea Dogs are playing so well this season (and why Phillips is as well).

I don't think Phillips is the most dangerous player on his line in Saint John and I feel that opposing defenses match up against that line with a similar thought process. I feel that by playing alongside of Huberdeau and Jurco, Phillips is afforded a bit of extra room, a bit of extra time and that helps him be successful. It doesn't hurt him that Huberdeau (and those blueliners) are no slouch at moving the puck to an open man either.

Again, I don't think that this is a slight against Phillips, more of a statement on the Sea Dogs as a whole. Huberdeau, Phillips, Jurco, they all complement each other extremely well and as a unit, they play better than individually. I don't think Phillips would be putting up these numbers if he didn't have these linemates, but I would say the same thing about Huberdeau and Jurco.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Im with Forbsie on this one...

Its not like Phillips is a mega leech and is a horrible player and is only putting up numbers because he plays with Huberdeau...but its qite obvious to anyone who watches them play that Huberdeau is the better of two and that Phillips benefits from the fact he plays with Huberdeau.

Huberdeau makes players around him better...I dont see that with Phillips...

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'll explain what I mean a bit more.
I feel that when Phillips is on the ice alongside of Jurco and Huberdeau, he's not the first or second option that the defense seems to focus on. This isn't necessarily a slight on Phillips, it's more a testament to why the Sea Dogs are playing so well this season (and why Phillips is as well).

I don't think Phillips is the most dangerous player on his line in Saint John and I feel that opposing defenses match up against that line with a similar thought process. I feel that by playing alongside of Huberdeau and Jurco, Phillips is afforded a bit of extra room, a bit of extra time and that helps him be successful. It doesn't hurt him that Huberdeau (and those blueliners) are no slouch at moving the puck to an open man either.

Again, I don't think that this is a slight against Phillips, more of a statement on the Sea Dogs as a whole. Huberdeau, Phillips, Jurco, they all complement each other extremely well and as a unit, they play better than individually. I don't think Phillips would be putting up these numbers if he didn't have these linemates, but I would say the same thing about Huberdeau and Jurco.

All those Jurcos should be Anthonys ;)

Jurco got moved off his line around the end of November.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Jonathen Huberdeau is a terrific player. Zack philips is a terrific player. Jonathen huberdeau was not at lawrence Academy when as a 15 year old phillips had BC, BU, Northeastern, Princeton, Harvard and UNH scolarship offers before deciding on Umass/Amherst. Zack phllips was not playing Midget AAA hockey in Quebec when Hubie was leading the rookies in scoring.
Kevin,any scouts that have any integrity would not share thoughts on players if they thought you would share those with people on chirp boards.
Lala you have stated your opinion in regards to the depth of the draft should beaulieu or philips go first round before, why you feel the need to repeat yourself Im not sure. Your knowledge of the QMJHL is unmatched however as far as the pro game goes you havent seen enuff guys across the country to give an educated perspective. The Q comes thru HFX, but the O does not nor does the W
Beaulieu will be gone in the first round and so will Philips. I made the trip to the ACC last night so i can speak from experience after watching Puempel/Saad/jenner/Lessio and some others and was at the USHL fall classic where i saw the americans top guys.
Each teams draft lists differ obviously some have not even been formed yet, for example detroit waits till after this event to form theirs while other meet last weekend. Some teams have Hubie before Couturier, some have couturier before hubie, some have philips before Hubie as a top 10 guy some have beaulieu top 10. What i can tell you with near absolute certainity is that the sea dogs will have 3 guys go very very early.
In closing Hubie/philips certainly compliment each other and clearly they both benefit each other , after all skill should play with skill. Not unlike in Portland where Johnasen/Ross/Niederater compliment each other---or in the past in Drummondville where couturier has been blessed with great linemates.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Jonathen Huberdeau is a terrific player. Zack philips is a terrific player. Jonathen huberdeau was not at lawrence Academy when as a 15 year old phillips had BC, BU, Northeastern, Princeton, Harvard and UNH scolarship offers before deciding on Umass/Amherst. Zack phllips was not playing Midget AAA hockey in Quebec when Hubie was leading the rookies in scoring.
Kevin,any scouts that have any integrity would not share thoughts on players if they thought you would share those with people on chirp boards.
Lala you have stated your opinion in regards to the depth of the draft should beaulieu or philips go first round before, why you feel the need to repeat yourself Im not sure. Your knowledge of the QMJHL is unmatched however as far as the pro game goes you havent seen enuff guys across the country to give an educated perspective. The Q comes thru HFX, but the O does not nor does the W
Beaulieu will be gone in the first round and so will Philips. I made the trip to the ACC last night so i can speak from experience after watching Puempel/Saad/jenner/Lessio and some others and was at the USHL fall classic where i saw the americans top guys.
Each teams draft lists differ obviously some have not even been formed yet, for example detroit waits till after this event to form theirs while other meet last weekend. Some teams have Hubie before Couturier, some have couturier before hubie, some have philips before Hubie as a top 10 guy some have beaulieu top 10. What i can tell you with near absolute certainity is that the sea dogs will have 3 guys go very very early.
In closing Hubie/philips certainly compliment each other and clearly they both benefit each other , after all skill should play with skill. Not unlike in Portland where Johnasen/Ross/Niederater compliment each other---or in the past in Drummondville where couturier has been blessed with great linemates.

No they won't. Phillips isn't a good enough skater to go above 25th or so. And he's more likely to be a 2nd rounder.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

You seem to have some sort of connection to the Saint John players...and thats fine...but lets just agree to disagree on this matter.

Phillips...like I said...im a big fan of his, even dating back to his days at Eaglebrooke...i just dont think he goes top 20 in the draft, its not like im stating he should retire because he has no future in the game.

Its true I havent seen all the players across the country, but ive followed hockey for over 20 years and worked in hockey for over 10...I think i know a bit more about the pro game than you think...plus im just stating that if you take an average draft crop...Phillips and Beaulieu shouldnt be top 20 guys...if they are that leads me to believe its a weak draft. Thats all.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You seem to have some sort of connection to the Saint John players...and thats fine...but lets just agree to disagree on this matter.

Phillips...like I said...im a big fan of his, even dating back to his days at Eaglebrooke...i just dont think he goes top 20 in the draft, its not like im stating he should retire because he has no future in the game.

Its true I havent seen all the players across the country, but ive followed hockey for over 20 years and worked in hockey for over 10...I think i know a bit more about the pro game than you think...plus im just stating that if you take an average draft crop...Phillips and Beaulieu shouldnt be top 20 guys...if they are that leads me to believe its a weak draft. Thats all.

Ya trust me too LaLa is a bit more qualified than most on this board to make judgement...I agree with Lala and Forbes on this Phillips is not a 1st round pick and if a team does take him 1st well they should have done more research before taking him....I also agree Beaulieu should not be a top 20 talent, his defensive game needs a lot of improvment, he needs to learn when to jump up and when not too...his awareness on the ice needs a lot of work, great offensive game though.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Zack Phillips

My latest vid.

Here's my short scouting report on him for those who don't want to open another window:

2011 NHL Draft prospect Zack Phillips of the QMJHL's Saint Johns Sea Dogs.

He's known for his smart two way game and playmaking. He is a natural center although he's been playing on fellow top prospect, Jonathan Huberdeau's wing for most of the 2010-11 season. However, he does take the brunt of the face off work. He's thrived in the the role, accumulating 92 points in 64 games, ranking him 7th overall in the league.

38 of those points have been goals, so its safe to say he's not one dimensional. He's a good shooter who can finish plays and pick his spots in open space. Still, his best attribute is his ability to distribute the puck. This strength doesn't arise from flashy plays or over handling of the puck but smart positioning, good decision making and playing hard.

His skating may not be a weakness but its likely holding him back from being considered a surefire 1st rounder at this point. If he does continue to develop and improve his straight line speed and acceleration he could very well become a versatile top 6 forward in the NHL one day.

Flamefan1

Jun 12, 2010
Calgary, Alberta

My latest vid.

Here's my short scouting report on him for those who don't want to open another window:

2011 NHL Draft prospect Zack Phillips of the QMJHL's Saint Johns Sea Dogs.

He's known for his smart two way game and playmaking. He is a natural center although he's been playing on fellow top prospect, Jonathan Huberdeau's wing for most of the 2010-11 season. However, he does take the brunt of the face off work. He's thrived in the the role, accumulating 92 points in 64 games, ranking him 7th overall in the league.

38 of those points have been goals, so its safe to say he's not one dimensional. He's a good shooter who can finish plays and pick his spots in open space. Still, his best attribute is his ability to distribute the puck. This strength doesn't arise from flashy plays or over handling of the puck but smart positioning, good decision making and playing hard.

His skating may not be a weakness but its likely holding him back from being considered a surefire 1st rounder at this point. If he does continue to develop and improve his straight line speed and acceleration he could very well become a versatile top 6 forward in the NHL one day.

kind of reminds me of getzlaf or kesler

R S

Sep 18, 2006
One of the best passers in the draft, that's for sure. I think the biggest knock against him is his physicality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad