Zack Phillips - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Anybody seen this guy play lately or have a scouting report?

He sounds a lot like Adam Henrique from a few years ago and looks like a classic Devils prospect if he falls to their spot at 39. Is 2nd but most likely 3rd line C a pretty good spot to peg his potential at this point? Seems like just an all-around solid hockey player in every corner of the rink from the sounds of it. He obviously benefits from playing with Huberdeau but Henrique played with Hall too.

GM17*

Phillips just seems to skate through players like they are holograms. He's great.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I asked if he plays with Huberdeau in all situations not just PP?

The reson it is confusing is that the QMJHL summaries show PHILLIPS as a RW and HUBERDEAU at centre.. BUT:

1. In the TOP PROSPECTS GAME ,PHILLIPS played centre and HUBERDEAU LW...

2. PHILLIPS seems to take many more faceoffs than HUBERDEAU.

IF they play together in ES (not just PP) and if PHILLIPS takes the bulk of face-offs --does it mean that after the face-off (IN ES situatins) PHILLIPS takes a RW position and HUBERDEAU patrols in the middle?

IF so, in the pros where teams will usually not do that quick switch of position roles after face-offs (NOT that Phillips is so proficient in the dot anyway )--but if Phillips takes the bulk of them.maybe HUBERDEAU cannot be a centre in the pros?

Most ranking lists I see show Phillips and Huberdeau as centres.

SO it is very confusing as to their positions now and for what is projected.

So should PHILLIPS be considered for teams looking foa centre in mid-teens range of round one (thus evaluate him vs. other potential centres there) OR should he be evaluated against other RW's?

GM17*

It's a weird team dynamic. I've seen Anthony Phillips Huberdeau. Galiev Phillips Huberdeau. Galiev Huberdeau Phillips. And sometimes Kirkpatrick instead of Huberdeau.

Let it be known I've edited this post like 20x because of mixing up the wingers' sides.

Oh and Phillips Huberdeau typically play together ES to answer your question.

Last edited by a moderator:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
From what I've seen, Phillips takes the bulk of the draws but Huberdeau will usually take the other center responsibilities after the draw is taken. It is a funny dynamic, kind of like when Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together.

PS I made this video awhile ago for anyone who missed it.

I'm probably going to head to New Brunswick in May so I'm hoping to catch a live playoff game. Or if Gatineau is lucky enough to move on, I won't have to make the journey!

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I asked if he plays with Huberdeau in all situations not just PP?

The reson it is confusing is that the QMJHL summaries show PHILLIPS as a RW and HUBERDEAU at centre.. BUT:

1. In the TOP PROSPECTS GAME ,PHILLIPS played centre and HUBERDEAU LW...

2. PHILLIPS seems to take many more faceoffs than HUBERDEAU.

IF they play together in ES (not just PP) and if PHILLIPS takes the bulk of face-offs --does it mean that after the face-off (IN ES situatins) PHILLIPS takes a RW position and HUBERDEAU patrols in the middle?

IF so, in the pros where teams will usually not do that quick switch of position roles after face-offs (NOT that Phillips is so proficient in the dot anyway )--but if Phillips takes the bulk of them.maybe HUBERDEAU cannot be a centre in the pros?

Most ranking lists I see show Phillips and Huberdeau as centres.

SO it is very confusing as to their positions now and for what is projected.

So should PHILLIPS be considered for teams looking foa centre in mid-teens range of round one (thus evaluate him vs. other potential centres there) OR should he be evaluated against other RW's?

Phillips takes draws but plays LW. Hubie lines up at LW but plays center. Saint John rotates right after the faceoff more often than not. Huberdeau is a better skater, and projects as a better center at the next level. And don't take faceoff stats seriously, the Q is notorious for doing a piss-poor job of tracking the stats (any face-off won forward tends to get counted as a loss, for example).

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Zack Phillips

I was just wondering why he is ranked so low in the first round. He put up a lot of points this year and was a 1st line centre on the best team in the country. Is there character issues? Poor work-ethic? What's the deal with him? Has he just gone unnoticed?

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Tremendous character kid in fact as a 16 year old won Team Community service award last year.
Part of reason he is under hyped, lol, is the fact that he was Stateside for 3 year went to US prep school in Massachusetts from 13 to 16 thus didnt play any Under 15/16/17 tournaments in Canada. Couple that with the fact he played 4th line minutes last year with the Dogs(16 goals, 28 assists, plus 24) he came into year a bit of an unknown(outside of St John where he is a fan favorite). As well he has no high end agency like the Newports/ of the world promoting him
He doesnt have the wow factor, his skating is average. His hockey sense and anticipation are his strengths, his hockey IQ and vision are off the charts.True scouts see that as an advantage as how good will he be once he matures and develops physically and thus gains a step(if he is this effective now what happens when). Interesting on the HF boards he is underrated however in St John and throughout the QMJHL he is recognized as a top end guy and NHL scouts coming thru St John see him at a different level then is being spoken of on these boards.

GM17*

He's in the shadow of Huberdeau, which is everyone's excuse for where he gets his pts.

He's carried the team in a couple of important games these playoffs.

Being ranked anywhere in the first round is nothing to scoff at.

Finally, I feel his skating isn't so bad and his puck handling is great. I've seen him rush and split defenders on his own and create scoring chances. He's great, but I dunno if that's a skill that will translate into pts in the NHL or a lot of getting sat down on his arse by big dmen. Time will tell.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Zack Phillips, What Are His Strengths/Weaknesses?

From highlight videos I see that the kid has some hands, how is his skating, physical and defensive play, etc.? He seems like he'd be a solid pick for the Oilers at #19 if guys like McNeill and Scheifele aren't there.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do you think he falls that far? Care to elaborate on his skills?

Well, he's ranked to go 25-30+ by most sources, and I don't really see him as the type of player a team would reach for, so I'm pretty sure he'll be there at 31.

He's one of those guys who's pretty good at a lot of things, but doesn't really have a defining quality. He doesn't look like the best skater and he's pretty poor on the draw too.

I think there will be quite a few better options available at 19th.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Zack Phillips has good hands, good size, but average feet. And keep in mind he is a 'hockey year' older ('92 DOB) than most of the others he's being compared to.

Yeah I figured there had to be some flaw for him to be ranked as low as he is. Is he a bad skater mechanics wise? Do you anticipate him getting quicker/faster as he matures?

Well, he's ranked to go 25-30+ by most sources, and I don't really see him as the type of player a team would reach for, so I'm pretty sure he'll be there at 31.

He's one of those guys who's pretty good at a lot of things, but doesn't really have a defining quality. He doesn't look like the best skater and he's pretty poor on the draw too.

I think there will be quite a few better options available at 19th.

The skating part worries me, I figured that maybe he could be an eventual Gagner replacement but likely not if he isn't that good of a skater. Of course I'd love for McNeill to fall into our laps at #19 but I doubt that it'll happen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I have heard him compared to Ryder which makes a lot of sense. Phillips could be a guy that's a good 2nd liner in the NHL, his calling card will be putting up points(50-60) if he develops properly, if not he could be a Bochenski or Haydar.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wanted to see just how much Zack Phillips offense was tied to Huberdeau. 10/30/10 was the first time that Huberdeau figured into his scoring on the season.

x=w/out Huberdeau factoring in, h=Huberdeau factoring into Philips scoring plays.

ESG-xxxxhhhhxhhhhxhhhxxhx 9x 12h = 21 total

1A-xxxxxhhhxhxhxxxhxxxxhhhh 14x 10h = 24 total

2A-xxxhxhxhhxhhhhxhh 7x 10h = 17 total

PPG-xxxxxxhhxhhxxxxh 11x 5h = 16 total

1A-xxhxxxh 5x 2h = 7 total

2A-xhhhhxhh 2x 6h = 8 total

SHG-x = 1 total

Total = 49x 45h (looks like I missed one point or my math is off)

49 of his points weren't factored in by Huberdeau while 45 points were. 20 of his goals weren't while 17 were.

Prior to having Huberdeau factor into one of his points:

10-7-17 in 17 games.

Since it seems that Huberdeau was on his line 28-50-78 in 50 games.

Huberdeau's stats prior to 10/30:

12-9-21 in 17gp.

Since Phillips seemed to have been on his line: 31-53-84 in 50 games.

Considering how much Huberdeau's stats have shot up maybe Phillips could be a nice 2nd line center in time? Also of note he seemed to have a crapload of unassisted goals, is he known for good defense or did he just get lucky?

Skylimit

Oct 5, 2009
Ive seen over 80% of SNB playoffs games and i can tell Philipps is VERY impressive.

take this guy in my team anytime.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Dogs

ZP will be gone by time the OIlers pick at 19---guys that can create offence that are 6'1--180 lbs and play both ends dont last..Coupled with the fact he has played down the middle for the top ranked team in the country on their number 1 line means something.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
ZP will be gone by time the OIlers pick at 19---guys that can create offence that are 6'1--180 lbs and play both ends dont last..Coupled with the fact he has played down the middle for the top ranked team in the country on their number 1 line means something.

That's a possibility IMO, but it seems like he's ranked fairly low. I also think that Beaulieu is ranked fairly low.

GM17*

Phillips won't be gone THAT early I don't think, but he'll be off the board in round 1 for certain.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I couldn't tell you what he is lacking in particular, but during the games I've seen him play he just didn't stand out the way I would have expected a potential first-rounder to be. The fellow whom I go to most games with felt the same when we discussed him.

I haven't seen most of the other draft-eligible players, but he was far below Beaulieau so I think there will be quite a gap between when those two are picked.

Depending on how he does in the Memorial Cup, I wouldn't be surprised if Philips is available to whomever picks Huberdeau when that team picks in the 2nd round. While not a Lecavalier-Richards combination, it would be worth taking him in that early-mid 30s spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad