Player Discussion Zack Kassian

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I thought he had a decent game tonight. With a bit of luck he could have scored on one of his attempts to crash the net. I liked what he brought.

Can someone who knows more about contracts than me explain if he has to be qualified at the $2 million price tag, or do we have the option to offer more years at a lower price?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought he had a decent game tonight. With a bit of luck he could have scored on one of his attempts to crash the net. I liked what he brought.

Can someone who knows more about contracts than me explain if he has to be qualified at the $2 million price tag, or do we have the option to offer more years at a lower price?

In order to keep his rights as a restricted free agent we need to offer him a qualifying offer at $2 million. Chiarelli can still try and negotiate any contract he wants with him though. He could offer him the $2 million qualifying offer and then tell him that he'll offer him a 2 year deal at 1.5 million per, and Kassian could accept that if he was inclined to.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's a lot of words trying to defend a guy who looks lost on a 29th place team but whatever.

Hahahaha. He doesnt look lost at all, he actually is playing his role quite well. You make statements about a player based solely off of your dislike for them which has been evident the whole time, and when you get called out on it you reply with ignorant comments like this. Until you can back up anything you have said I am done wasting my time.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hahahaha. He doesnt look lost at all, he actually is playing his role quite well. You make statements about a player based solely off of your dislike for them which has been evident the whole time, and when you get called out on it you reply with ignorant comments like this. Until you can back up anything you have said I am done wasting my time.

Fair enough. Probably best you don't waste your time then. You and I see entirely different players out there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The motto whether it be Zach, Yak, or anybody that is more accomplished in topsix play is that it would be awfully difficult to produce much of anything in the Oilers bottomsix with Centers like Lander and Letestu who have a combined 12 EV assists all season. I wish I was making that up.

Not sure why people are critiquing Zach for not getting much done since he's been bottomsix when nobody does. Any of out topsix players that have had stints in bottomsix have not produced there.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
The motto whether it be Zach, Yak, or anybody that is more accomplished in topsix play is that it would be awfully difficult to produce much of anything in the Oilers bottomsix with Centers like Lander and Letestu who have a combined 12 EV assists all season. I wish I was making that up.

Not sure why people are critiquing Zach for not getting much done since he's been bottomsix when nobody does. Any of out topsix players that have had stints in bottomsix have not produced there.

True. With our bottom six at the moment, I think if you just do something out there like hit, agitate, etc. that's a positive cause putting up points there is not happening.

If we keep Lander I hope he goes on some spiritual journey in the offseason and finds his scoring touch again. I like him but dude needs more than just faceoffs to make him worth keeping around.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
True. With our bottom six at the moment, I think if you just do something out there like hit, agitate, etc. that's a positive cause putting up points there is not happening.

If we keep Lander I hope he goes on some spiritual journey in the offseason and finds his scoring touch again. I like him but dude needs more than just faceoffs to make him worth keeping around.

I hope so too, or else I think we need to look elsewhere. The guy has 9 goals in 193 NHL games. That is nearly unbelievable

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If we move Eberle, Kassian will be our #1 RW next year. Since Yak is leaving as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If we move Eberle, Kassian will be our #1 RW next year. Since Yak is leaving as well.
It's never that simple. Draisaitl can play RW as can others. Who knows what ends up happening with the draft this year.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
In Chiarelli's media availability he mentioned that he was happy with Kassian's season despite expecting more production.

Sounds to me like he'll be back.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's got size and skill, but he's very inconsistent with both physicality and offensive skill. Sometimes you have him checking hard and shift-disturbing -- great. Sometimes you have him driving the net, shooting, using his speed -- also great. How often does he display those things separately let alone together? Rarely at best. He hasn't shown himself to be a reliable option for either the top 6 or bottom 6. I'd let him walk.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I see the value in the player but he needs to leave the circus at home more. he basically draws attention to himself and reminds to refs that he's a loose cannon in a game that stirs **** which they don't want to end up dealing with.

A player like Kass is going to draw ire from lazy refs that want to micromanage games so that nothing physical occurs.

Theres such a thing as over managing a game and a Kassian foaming at the bench like he has rabies is sure to elicit it.

He's funny as hell, but not to officials.

No easy answers here. He has to instigate somewhat to be effective and use his intangibles. yet he has to do in much more moderation. Which then looks like he's not doing enough. Tough place to be. Reps are hard to lose.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's not going to cost a lot to re-sign, and considering his past we probably just sign him for one year.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's not going to cost a lot to re-sign, and considering his past we probably just sign him for one year.
Spawn says he costs $2 million, minimum (thanks for replying Spawn). Seems like a lot for what he brought.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
Spawn says he costs $2 million, minimum (thanks for replying Spawn). Seems like a lot for what he brought.

He costs $2 million to qualify and retain his RFA rights. He could sign for less (and likely would get less if he hits UFA anyways).

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He costs $2 million to qualify and retain his RFA rights. He could sign for less (and likely would get less if he hits UFA anyways).
That's not what I read in the explanation above, and why I asked for clarification.
Are you saying he could sign with the Oilers for less than $2 million on a one year deal?
I understood what Spawn wrote to say that he costs $2 million minimum, but we have the option to cut the cap hit by offering him more years at a lesser figure.
So we could offer $1 million for three years as an example because > $2 million.
Seems to me that means it costs $2 million to retain his services. Only the term is up for negotiation.
I guess I'd like a yes/no answer to the bold question. That would clear things up for me.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kassian is the type of guy I want on our team.

He'll slot in on the 3rd/4th line, relatively cheap. Far better skater than he gets credit for, back checks hard, finishes his checks in the offensive zone. He wants to be an Oiler. You want a guy like Kass on your team when things get intense and heated.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd give him next year to see what he's got. I think he has more to give, and I also think a full summer to come into camp in top shape could help him get there. Hard to judge a guy on the circumstances he came to the team in after breaking his foot, dealing with the NHL rehab, and then coming into a new team out of sync and likely not entirely in game shape.

If he doesn't look good after a good chunk next year then by all means cut him loose after the year, but I think he has more to give and I don't think keeping him around really hurts us in anyway.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's not what I read in the explanation above, and why I asked for clarification.
Are you saying he could sign with the Oilers for less than $2 million on a one year deal?
I understood what Spawn wrote to say that he costs $2 million minimum, but we have the option to cut the cap hit by offering him more years at a lesser figure.
So we could offer $1 million for three years as an example because > $2 million.
Seems to me that means it costs $2 million to retain his services. Only the term is up for negotiation.
I guess I'd like a yes/no answer to the bold question. That would clear things up for me.

chrisj is right, sorry if I wasn't clear.

The Oilers can offer Kassian anything they want.

But, in order to retain his rights as a restricted free agent past July 1st, they'd need to tender him a qualifying offer. Which would be $2 million. And Kassian can just accept that offer and that would be that. It wouldn't make much sense for him to accept less if he was expecting a qualifying offer from the organization, unless it had some other benefit (like more term).

Now the Oilers could decline to offer him a qualifying offer and say. "We aren't going to offer you a qualifying offer, but want to bring you back for less." At which point Kassian would become an unrestricted free agent rather than an RFA and would have the option to sign with any team in the league without the Oilers having the right to match. But he could still sign with our organization at any time, for any amount of money/term that the two parties agree to.

Also, I believe the other option for the Oilers with Kassian would be to take him to club elected salary arbitration rather than offer him a qualifying offer. The arbitrator can offer up to 15% less than his salary was for this season. Which may not actually be that unreasonable of a move for the Oilers.

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
In Chiarelli's media availability he mentioned that he was happy with Kassian's season despite expecting more production.

Sounds to me like he'll be back.

Sounds to me like Chiarelli doesn't have many options.

Kassian gets a C from me which is higher than most of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad