Player Discussion Zack Kassian

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He had no intention of giving Kassian a fair chance, he made that clear the moment he was brought in.

Kassian can be an idiot, but he also doesn't get much benefit from officials either.

Except that's exactly the opposite of what I have claimed numerous times. It's not my fault you chose to ignore that. Sorry, but your flat out wrong about that.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I honestly had high hopes for zack after his first couple weeks as an Oiler, not so much anymore. I'd bring him back, but only to play on the 4th line. I'd give him 2.5 mil for 2 years. Doubt he will get a better offer than that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why is everyone so down on him lately? He's over played really well in his time here.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Why is everyone so down on him lately? He's over played really well in his time here.

Yeah, I don't get it either. He has been good on the forecheck, and consistently makes his presence known to other team. Shows some nice skill occasionally too. We should absolutely be keeping him IMO.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I've liked having Kassian on the team and he's given the Oilers a much needed aggressive presence...but I think it's fair to say that he's been in a lull since those initial first 2-3 weeks where he seemed a lot more involved offensively. His minutes have gone down as time's gone on as well, perhaps a sign that Zack's conditioning could stand to be a bit better.

I still have time for him, nothing wrong with having a guy like him on your 3rd or 4th line, with spot duty in the top 6 and 2nd unit PP.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Yeah, I don't get it either. He has been good on the forecheck, and consistently makes his presence known to other team. Shows some nice skill occasionally too. We should absolutely be keeping him IMO.

Agreed. he sticks up for his teammates, and lets our skilled guys do their things more.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think he at least gets qualified at his 1.75 might get a 2 year deal but I can't see his AVV going up by much at all, he'll be lucky to get to 2M.

Bare minimum you are getting a Gazdic replacement with better skating, skill and hockey sense but he's got some upside and if he gets his career back on track he could find his way into a middle 6 position.

8 pts and 114 PIM's in 35 games this year. If he dedicates himself to being a pro and improving his play I see a 20-20 player who brings some nasty to the lineup.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have stated multiple times over the course of several months that if he could keep a cool head and play solid hockey that I could be turned around on him. So, that's not actually what I am saying at all.

It's pretty clear that Kassian doesn't play hockey well enough (on a conistent basis) and is too much of an idiot on the ice, to ever be a truly effective player. It'll be a fail if Chiarelli keeps him around. Waste of a roster spot.

Thing with Kassian is he has the perfect example of the type of player he could be in Maroon. If he took a few lessons from him on how to play the sport I'd be a huge fan.

Is it because of a couple of incredibly terrible calls by officials that you claim he hasnt kept a cool head? Has he had any outbursts at all where he has lost it? No he hasnt.

How well do you expect him to play? How many points would be enough for you to consider him to be effectivein the bottom six role that he has been given? Have you noticed that he has even been getting some PK time lately, and done well at it?

What player would you rather see fill his spot in the bottom six that would be a better use of the roster spot. I mean someone that wont cost any assets to acquire and would be a similar cap hit to Kassian?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've liked having Kassian on the team and he's given the Oilers a much needed aggressive presence...but I think it's fair to say that he's been in a lull since those initial first 2-3 weeks where he seemed a lot more involved offensively. His minutes have gone down as time's gone on as well, perhaps a sign that Zack's conditioning could stand to be a bit better.

I still have time for him, nothing wrong with having a guy like him on your 3rd or 4th line, with spot duty in the top 6 and 2nd unit PP.

He has also had his role reduced and is playing most nights on the 4th line with guys who are pure grinders. Outside of Yak, I would probably say he has the best hands out of any player in our bottom six.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'm hoping we're just going through a phase and the officials stop shoving sticks up themselves before the game and stop taking it out on Kassian all night. He's getting dinged with a lot of reputation and "game management" penalties.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Is it because of a couple of incredibly terrible calls by officials that you claim he hasnt kept a cool head? Has he had any outbursts at all where he has lost it? No he hasnt.

How well do you expect him to play? How many points would be enough for you to consider him to be effectivein the bottom six role that he has been given? Have you noticed that he has even been getting some PK time lately, and done well at it?

What player would you rather see fill his spot in the bottom six that would be a better use of the roster spot. I mean someone that wont cost any assets to acquire and would be a similar cap hit to Kassian?

30 goals or get that hot head off the team.:sarcasm:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm hoping we're just going through a phase and the officials stop shoving sticks up themselves before the game and stop taking it out on Kassian all night. He's getting dinged with a lot of reputation and "game management" penalties.

He really is and its a joke. You'll also notice that anytime there is any kind of scrum at all when he is on the ice that one of the linesmen instantly bear hug him and totally prevent him from being able to defend himself. then he gets 2 minutes for roughing/unsportsmanlike for getting punched in the head while being held by an official. It also seems like the Oilers have been getting the royal shaft by the refs in general since Kassian joined the club, makes me wonder if the league wants him gone and are pissed at Chia for giving him another chance.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Are people down on Kass?

If so, it's because you expected too much. I really like him in a bottom six role. He seems to mesh well with the team too, that was my biggest concern.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like Kassian a lot personally. He has the hands and skating to play in the top 6. Forsure won't be a go-to offensive guy in a top 6 but he can make plays. He's much better suited as a bottom 6 forward though. I think if you pencil him in on the 3rd line with some similar players next year he would show a little more offense.

A 1 year deal seems reasonable. We still have leverage here, an extension is a reward in it's own right. Next year you give him an opportunity to earn a multi year deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Are people down on Kass?

If so, it's because you expected too much. I really like him in a bottom six role. He seems to mesh well with the team too, that was my biggest concern.

He scored at a 15-20 goal, and ~30 point pace in each of his two seasons before coming here. He was playing ~12.5 minutes a night in those two years just like he has been this year.

I was expecting more offense from him than he's shown. This year he's producing at a ~8 goal sub 20 point pace. He's demonstrated he's capable of more playing similar number of minutes with similar quality of linemates. Not sure why a bit more offense should be beyond reasonable expectations.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been terrible. He just doesn't really do much other than run around, take penalties and get in the odd scrum after a whistle. Not sure the nearly 2 million it would cost to qualify him is worth it.

Funny, the only reason I do think you bring him back is if you think you can expect more for him. Because if all you're expecting is this, he's just not worth the contract.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
He scored at a 15-20 goal, and ~30 point pace in each of his two seasons before coming here. He was playing ~12.5 minutes a night in those two years just like he has been this year.

I was expecting more offense from him than he's shown. This year he's producing at a ~8 goal sub 20 point pace. He's demonstrated he's capable of more playing similar number of minutes with similar quality of linemates. Not sure why a bit more offense should be beyond reasonable expectations.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been terrible. He just doesn't really do much other than run around, take penalties and get in the odd scrum after a whistle. Not sure the nearly 2 million it would cost to qualify him is worth it.

Funny, the only reason I do think you bring him back is if you think you can expect more for him. Because if all you're expecting is this, he's just not worth the contract.

I think you are under estimating how hard it is too get back into a groove in the NHL after being out the NHL for awhile. Especially when you werent even skating or doing anything hockey related for a while.

I believe it was Sullivan who said it took him ~6 months before he felt 100 percent comfortable in the NHL after being out for a while.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the refs keep penalizing him for BS calls then he will have a hard time being an effective player. It seems like after that started happening he has really been less engaged physically. I'd bring him back on a one year deal and then reevaluate at the end of next season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

He's had a couple weak calls against him, but when you push a linesman you shouldn't be surprised when they don't give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather see a guy like Pakarinen get his minutes to be honest. He doesn't produce quite as well offensively (though it's close) but he's nowhere near the liability with his moronic penalties.

Hopefully Chiarelli has other guys to step into his spot so we can all move on from the experiment and I wish Zach the best in his life.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
He's had a couple weak calls against him, but when you push a linesman you shouldn't be surprised when they don't give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather see a guy like Pakarinen get his minutes to be honest. He doesn't produce quite as well offensively (though it's close) but he's nowhere near the liability with his moronic penalties.

Hopefully Chiarelli has other guys to step into his spot so we can all move on from the experiment and I wish Zach the best in his life.

There is no experiment, he is a legit NHL hockey player who brings something to the team we have needed for years.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

First you say the penalties called against him are weak, then you say he is a liability for taking moronic penalties. Which is it?

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I like this guy and he's young enough he's still got room to become 15% better. He can play up and down the lineup sign me up.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I think he at least gets qualified at his 1.75 might get a 2 year deal but I can't see his AVV going up by much at all, he'll be lucky to get to 2M.

Bare minimum you are getting a Gazdic replacement with better skating, skill and hockey sense but he's got some upside and if he gets his career back on track he could find his way into a middle 6 position.

8 pts and 114 PIM's in 35 games this year. If he dedicates himself to being a pro and improving his play I see a 20-20 player who brings some nasty to the lineup.

His salary this season was $2 million so it takes 2 to qualify him. Is that difference a deal breaker? Probably not but it makes a 1 year deal more likely. They could still offer 2 years at less but dont see the upside for Kassian taking that offer.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
First you say the penalties called against him are weak, then you say he is a liability for taking moronic penalties. Which is it?

I said he's had a few weak calls. Not every call was a weak call. He's done a lot of stupid stuff out there. I have no idea how someone could watch this player and not see that.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I hope to see nothing longer than a one year extension for Zach. I love the kid but I don't think that he brings enough to the table yet to warrant the reduced accountability that a multi-year deal could potentially foster.

I want to see him in Edmonton for years to come. I don't want to see him put in a role that could increase the likelihood of the wheels coming off of the project. I get the impression that he is a kid who still needs to have his feet to the proverbial flames, in that I'm nervous about the ramifications of him getting "too comfortable".

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00