News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 Part II - Mod Warning in Post#1

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Fair enough that addiction isn't a "lack of character" issue, but even in PC culture addiction is still blamed on the person who's addicted and it's still uncommon to try and help those who need help rather than just point a finger at them. Addiction and mental health in general aren't taken seriously enough.

An addictive personality may be manifested in more than one way. For example, some women who have managed to overcome alcohol abuse may shop compulsively and run up unmanageable credit card bills. Treatment requires time as well as expertise.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Too much to read...not enough time to do so...
SO...
what do we know of what happened so far? Can someone post of summary?
As in...do we know who was driving? What was the state of the people in the car? etc. etc.
Thanks.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Wow the experts here. Addiction is often only a result of much deeper problems. If I didn't get the help I needed and realize that drinking was only a result of depression and deep anxiety I'd probably be addicted to that **** to this day. Depression and anxiety aren't some stuff you just fight on your own and with your "will" you need professional advice and medical treatment to overcome that.

Please never ever say that to someone with an addiction problem.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
We haven't, so we delete any posts that even come close to being able to be considered libel just to be on the safe side ;)

Sounds about right.....same logic as all the MD's, GM's, Club Owners, lawyers, judge/jury & executioners we have on this site with regards to this topic?

Poor Doug Harvey would never have stood a chance against all the "holier than thou" opinions spewed regarding addiction????

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Too much to read...not enough time to do so...
SO...
what do we know of what happened so far? Can someone post of summary?
As in...do we know who was driving? What was the state of the people in the car? etc. etc.
Thanks.

Almost nothing. The rest is pure speculation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No new item was reported today, which could be a good thing.

Main thing is that Kassian is under professional care, whatever the protocols might be. Pretty useless for any of us to speculate too deeply without turning into Dr. Recchi. We just don't have enough information to take this further than we have in the other thread. People who have expertise in this field would be hard-pressed to do what some are attempting here with a few one-liners, even if most of us mean well.

On another level, Spanre last evening were debating on the reasons why the Habs sought or agreed to acquire Kassian -- they wanted a younger big bodied forward in the lineup. Now that he's likely gone for several months, how does Bergevin fill that intended need, assuming Spanre's comments correctly described that need to begin with?

Edit: they just claimed Paul Byron. That settles it. :laugh:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Not really a surprise, but to people who say the Habs didn't do their homework...they clearly did and decided to take a risk.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I'm reminded of a line, in an old Steppenwolf song, goes:

"And he'll always be another one of us".

Godspeed Zack. Work the program and come out the other end stronger than ever.

And when the program administrators give him the "all clear", I think it behooves MB to give him a full and fair shot at making the team. MB knew what he was getting, so he has no right to beach about it.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Or the maturity of one....or they just lack plain common sense which has been proven here time and time again

Anyone want to be educated on the matter, listen to Chris Nilan, the guys been through it, he's got pretty good insight on addiction and what it takes to overcome it

You never overcome it. Best you can hope for, is to wrestle it to a draw.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think its safe to assume he's done as a Habs player and gets let go at end of contract. I did like some of things he showed so its a shame.

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
excuse my ignorance in these types of situations, is his salary stuck to the cap? I suppose so just confirming.

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
Hopefully it's that final wake-up-call he needed to turn his **** around.

We always underestimate the human capacity to change, but everybody can and does change a lot during our short lifespan. He's only 24 years old, but that incident definitely has him gambling with his NHL career right now.

Hopefully he'll get to play his first official game with the habs jersey on his back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Clearly, Bergie bought some downside risk insurance with the 5th rounder and the salary differential in the event that Kassian wouldn't be able to successfully come out of Stage 1, which we didn't know at the time when everyone was wondering how he had made out like such a bandit.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Clearly, Bergie bought some downside risk insurance with the 5th rounder and the salary differential in the event that Kassian wouldn't be able to successfully come out of Stage 1, which we didn't know at the time when everyone was wondering how he had made out like such a bandit.

I remember how much Benning was ripped by Canucks fans when the trade happened, I feel kinda bad for the guy now. It's not like you can come out and say "wait, we had to pay the Habs to take him because he's such a problem child". You just have to swallow it and take a beating in the media from people who don't know the whole story.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese