Zack Kassian kicks Erik Cernak with his skate blade (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Skinner has no track record. Kassian only a month ago mauled a player from behind after getting mad about 2 clean hits.

This guy is a danger to everyone on the ice and needs to be put down before he seriously injured someone.

Oh so this is because you're still butt hurt about the Kassian/Tkachuk incident. Maybe get over it?

Yes he will get extra games for being a repeat offender and deservedly so but the overreactions about how incredibly dangerous it was area a bit too much.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I will call bull**** on your reactions guys. Fan bases get called because of comments like yours. If it was Cernak doing the same to Kassian, your posts wouldn't have been the same and you cannot deny it.

The play was stupid, while there was no apparent injury, the risk was high and the move dangerous. There is no excuse in the world that would make that kicking motion be ''okay''.
A) you can’t tell people how they’d react.
B) I never said it was “okay.” In fact I said it’s not something that you should ever do, and he should get double-digit suspension for it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Mods... can we please have the OP updated with the longer clip above that... you know... actually shows the play in context rather than some amateur smart-phone vid. It might help MODERATE the discussion here if people actually see the full footage.

There's no footage or angle that's going to make it ok for Kassian to kick at another player, just stop.

Reactions: Another AZ

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Mods... can we please have the OP updated with the longer clip above that... you know... actually shows the play in context rather than some amateur smart-phone vid. It might help MODERATE the discussion here if people actually see the full footage.
The footage of...you know...him kicking a...like...you know... a guy?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Something like this should be an automatic 20 games. Just incredibly dumb and could be incredibly dangerous.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Again, this got 2 games. TWO.
With Kassians history, tack on another 5.

That's almost a decade ago... It'll have very little to do with what Kassian gets. Not to mention that it was pretty widely agreed upon that Skinner should've gotten a lot more.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
A proposal: people should be encouraged to actually watch the full play in context and then discuss

Saw it and I still conclude that nothing justifies kicking at a player with sharp blades. He could very well squirm out with the "not intentional" argument, but he is responsible for what is without doubt, the most dangerous equipment a hockey player has on him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
There's no footage or angle that's going to make it ok for Kassian to kick at another player, just stop.

Stop what? I think people would benefit from seeing the full play.

I personally think it is suspension worthy, but there are elements not shown in the truncated clip that are relevant in determining the degree of punishment... for example there is zero reaction from Cernik... not even a slash when he gets up. Either Cernik is a saint, or he didn't perceive it as dangerous as many here did (including me by the way).

"Just stop"... Maybe you should consider that perhaps you are being quick to judge. You'd already assumed my position (incorrectly) before I volunteered it and before you asked.

Is your position that people should NOT see the full play in question? That seems odd.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Saw it and I still conclude that nothing justifies kicking at a player with sharp blades. He could very well squirm out with the "not intentional" argument, but he is responsible for what is without doubt, the most dangerous equipment a hockey player has on him.

A completely reasonable take in my opinion. Thanks for watching the full context.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sorry, only about 8 seconds.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of the kick and I don't think it belongs in the game, but I also don't really blame Kass for the urgency to get up.

It doesn't justify anything at all. Trying to catch up to a stupid hockey play does not warrant potential injury. Amd that potential was pretty big.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, only about 8 seconds.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of the kick and I don't think it belongs in the game, but I also don't really blame Kass for the urgency to get up.

You may want to practice your counting. That was 5 seconds. Not 15 like you originally claimed, or 8 like you adjusted to. 5 seconds after Kassian pulled Cernak down he kicked him in the chest.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
For anyone calling it soft, go back and watch the replays where people have been cut by a skate blade. Often the skate barely touches them. Hell, think back to the last time you cut yourself cooking, all it takes is a tiny slip. You don't kick people with sharp blades on your feet. Doesn't matter if it was a flying dropkick or a gentle nudge.

And for people calling for 20+ games or the season, let's be realistic. He's getting <10 and the only reason it's even that high is because of his history. My bet would be on 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad