Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It is strange, we see what Fox does and it's like, oh there is the Rangers one small D-man, quota filled. Like hypothetically if the defense consisted of Fox, Makar, Ellis for example, it would be horrible.

That, and just because they are small, doesn't mean they can't play physical (which is the one reason always brought up as to why we can't have more small defensemen).

Watch Lundkvist for a full game and you notice he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas, the physical play. I am not worried about him. He's turning 21 this summer. The same age as Adam Fox when he signed his ELC. He's a good skater and that's more important than being physical in today's NHL.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
this game is about skill and speed over size. sure, you need strength, but you can be an extremely effective player at 5’10, even on defense. You aren’t allowed to hit the way you used to. You can’t grab or tie up players anymore. Schneider just doesng have the offense a Lundkvist, Jones, or Fox has, and he likely will never reach the level of these guys. Ideally you’d like a big, strong, fast, and skilled player. Bug if it’s between a strong but not very skilled player vs. a very skilled but not very strong player, you take the latter in this day and age.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
this game is about skill and speed over size. sure, you need strength, but you can be an extremely effective player at 5’10, even on defense. You aren’t allowed to hit the way you used to. You can’t grab or tie up players anymore. Schneider just doesng have the offense a Lundkvist, Jones, or Fox has, and he likely will never reach the level of these guys. Ideally you’d like a big, strong, fast, and skilled player. Bug if it’s between a strong but not very skilled player vs. a very skilled but not very strong player, you take the latter in this day and age.
regular season is.

playoffs is a different ball game. I don't want to be built for the regular season.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
People are stuck in 1995. But I guess so are the Ranger because they drafted Schneider.
I think Schneider will be good.

Just in the not so distant future, and using size listing which are never super accurate from capfriendly

Miller 6-5, 210
Robertson 6-4, 202
Trouba 6-3, 209
Schneider 6-2, 202
Lindgren 6'0, 191
Lundkvist 5-11, 187
Fox 5-11, 181
Jones 5-11, 175

Seems to me like they have plenty of options, and it will probably mostly come down to who plays best rather than a size debate.

I don't think they'll keep all the 3 least big long term, yet given Miller, Trouba, Lindgren are in the NHL, I don't think they should need to feel undersized, especially if Robertson plays his way to LD on the NHL roster.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People need to take a look at the defenses of the teams that have won recently.

It's a copy-cat league. Doesn't mean that's the reason those teams won. Correlation does not imply causation.

Nobody won a Cup with a European captain until 2008 either.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Will he be too small for NHL? How are we supposed to find roster spots for all these D prospects?

No, I think if the skills translate, the size won't hold him back.

Some of these kids are obviously going to be moved at some point and the Rangers will have to ensure they make the correct personnel choices as well.

Combinations will also be important. You might get to a point where Lindgren becomes expensive, so the left side becomes Miller, Robertson and Jones. Likewise, at some point we're probably looking at one of Schneider or Lundkvist being moved to shore up another area.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This team still has Lindgren, Trouba and Miller on defense. It's not as if we only have 5'5" blueliners

Again, it's strange, like the difference between 5'11 190 and 6'2 202 is three inches and 12 pounds.

There is something around the perception of 6 foot 200lb being big and 5'11 195lbs being small. There is no in between/medium.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
A smallish defense will get pounded in the playoffs. Watch the game closely tonight.
Totally agree but I don't think you have to have 5 or 6 monsters back there. I would definitely be ok with 3 or 4 with size mixing in 2-3 with agility and speed. Plus Fox never gets hit because he's like Bradley Cooper in Limitless so he doesn't really count for small. Sure Lindgren isn't huge but he plays as tough as they come.
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider (bump up to top 4 when Trouba starts to decline in 2-3 years)
Robertson-Nils

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No, I think if the skills translate, the size won't hold him back.

Some of these kids are obviously going to be moved at some point and the Rangers will have to ensure they make the correct personnel choices as well.

Combinations will also be important. You might get to a point where Lindgren becomes expensive, so the left side becomes Miller, Robertson and Jones. Likewise, at some point we're probably looking at one of Schneider or Lundkvist being moved to shore up another area.
Ugh I really hope not. I know Fox can probably play with anyone but I hate breaking up a sure thing. Plus this kid did it the hard way. Playing his ass off even in preseason games to get noticed. I want at least one guy like that on the defense.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Roster is all about balance, as much as possible.

This defense will neither feature everyone who is 6'2 and above, nor will it consist of 5 guys who are 6'0, 200 and under.

It's not about having an offensive line out there, nor is it all about finessing your way out of situations.

Unfortunately, to achieve that balance it's going to mean the departure of some kids this board really likes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ugh I really hope not. I know Fox can probably play with anyone but I hate breaking up a sure thing. Plus this kid did it the hard way. Playing his ass off even in preseason games to get noticed. I want at least one guy like that on the defense.

It's too early too tell. The Rangers will definitely be monitoring two things --- durability and cost with Lindgren.

Additional factors could also include how Robertson, Jones, Schneider, Lundkvist come along, who stays and who gets moved in deals, etc.

Unfortunately, if we're successful at bringing our young talent along, you're going to see a lot guys outside a core handful come and go over the years. And not all of them are going to be 29 and pending UFAs. Some are going to be promising young players who bring back pieces to fill other holes and some are going to be guys in their prime who price themselves out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO Lundkvist is currently our best prospect. If it hadn’t been for covid and he signed with us this year I’m thinking one of Smith or Hajek wouldn’t be on our team now. Kravtsov is our second best prospect.

All that said I think Schneider s a hell of a prospect too. Big, strong and skates very well and will play physical without constantly going to the penalty box. He also does have some offensive skill and you don’t make the Canadian WJC team if you’re a bum. His two AHL games went extremely well.

....and looking at that goal by Jones last night and how very much he was leading the way for UMass’s defense last night it’s hard not to look at him and not think Adam Fox redux.

We haven’t even got to Robertson and Skinner’s had a very good season as well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
IMO Lundkvist is currently our best prospect. If it hadn’t been for covid and he signed with us this year I’m thinking one of Smith or Hajek wouldn’t be on our team now. Kravtsov is our second best prospect.

All that said I think Schneider s a hell of a prospect too. Big, strong and skates very well and will play physical without constantly going to the penalty box. He also does have some offensive skill and you don’t make the Canadian WJC team if you’re a bum. His two AHL games went extremely well.

....and looking at that goal by Jones last night and how very much he was leading the way for UMass’s defense last night it’s hard not to look at him and not think Adam Fox redux.

We haven’t even got to Robertson and Skinner’s had a very good season as well.

Man, Hunter Skinner has impressed me this season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Man, Hunter Skinner has impressed me this season.

I don’t know how all this is going to work out in the end but I can’t see us f***ing this up except maybe not getting enough of a return on the players we do eventually move. About the one thing I’m absolutely sure of is Fox is not going to be one of those who move. To me he’s moving towards elite status. But I like our top 4 right now and then Lundkvist, Schneider, Robertson and Jones are really in can’t miss territory and then there’s Hajek, Reunanen and Skinner. So many ways all this can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad