Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
If I am Zach I refuse to sign with Rangers and either force a trade or become a UFA in a year.

This is what happens when you get obsessed with drafting too many Dmen. You shoot yourself in the foot. You only get lucky so many times (Skjei trade) others will be lost for nothing or traded for low return. When a lazy GM creates more work for himself we end up losing assets.

You keep saying this, over and over again, without any basis in reality.

What makes Gorton lazy? Because he hasn't pulled the trigger on trading any of the assets you are too impatient to let develop?

Reactions: Cag29

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
You keep saying this, over and over again, without any basis in reality.

What makes Gorton lazy? Because he hasn't pulled the trigger on trading any of the assets you are too impatient to let develop?

when you trade away 2nd rounder to move Staal, buy out Girardi, trade Lias to only team that likely would want him because his father works for them, buy out Shattenkirk, give terrible contract to Trouba, trade away Lemieux for nothing, do a terrible thing to DeAngelo to destroy his value and reputation instead of trading him before re-signing him, and so on that makes you a lazy GM.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
when you trade away 2nd rounder to move Staal, buy out Girardi, trade Lias to only team that likely would want him because his father works for them, buy out Shattenkirk, give terrible contract to Trouba, trade away Lemieux for nothing, do a terrible thing to DeAngelo to destroy his value and reputation instead of trading him before re-signing him, and so on that makes you a lazy GM.
Sounds like a really active GM whose moves you just happen to disagree with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm confused as to what's actually being debated at this point.

There's a list of factors that will determine who we keep, not the least of which is how these kids actually develop and adjust.

The bottom line is that we have a multitude of options and aren't completely dependent on a single player having to make it on the blue line.

Reactions: Cag29

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

There's a list of factors that will determine who we keep, not the least of which is how these kids actually develop and adjust.

The bottom line is that we have a multitude of options and aren't completely dependent on a single player having to make it on the blue line.

I am saying Jones will want to play in NHL not be stuck behind Schneider, Robertson, Miller, Lindgren, etc. So he will refuse to sign and will want to be traded.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I think the debate is- assuming everyone pans out (Jones, Robertson, Schneider, Lundkvist) from the A tier prospects, and even assuming nothing comes off the B tier prospects (Reunanen, Skinner) who should stay, and who should go, when and where.

Now, they probably wont all pan out to their full potential, but it's an intriguing situation nonetheless.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am saying Jones will want to play in NHL not be stuck behind Schneider, Robertson, Miller, Lindgren, etc. So he will refuse to sign and will want to be traded.

I'd say that's unlikely to force a trade.

I think if he was in the same mold as some of the guys, and they were all close in age, perhaps.

But his game is different enough from all of those guys that it's not typically an issue.

I think you're gonna see quite a bit of movement between now and when Jones would enter the conversation for challenging. I'm not terribly concerned about that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the debate is- assuming everyone pans out (Jones, Robertson, Schneider, Lundkvist) from the A tier prospects, and even assuming nothing comes off the B tier prospects (Reunanen, Skinner) who should stay, and who should go, when and where.

Now, they probably wont all pan out to their full potential, but it's an intriguing situation nonetheless.

I think there's quite a few variables to consider.

Internally, the belief is Lundkvist is the top overall player. There's also the belief he's probably going to be the cost of a big acquisition should the team more or less stick to its list of 5 players who are considered to be off the table for most realistic discussions.

Schneider is the guy who fits the mold for the type a lot of winning teams have on their roster, and the type who seems to rise to occasion in big games and against tough assignments.

On the left side, Robertson is steady and consistent, while Jones has the ability to put up the points.

If I was to take a guess, right now, my guess would be that Lundkvist ends up traded for a big ticket item at some point. Not because the Rangers don't value him, but because he's going to be the cost of doing business. I'll also venture a guess that as a non-core player, Lindgren gets moved to apply his salary elsewhere.

I think Miller, Robertson, Jones/Fox, Trouba, Schneider probably takes the best of both worlds, provides balance and affordability and allows the Rangers to pursue shoring up other areas.

But I would caution that the odds of 5 out of 6 defenseman on the blue line being more or less "home grown" is probably lower than most fans would like to hear - even if everyone pans out.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
YOU're saying it.
No indication Jones feels that way. No indication he is in a rush.
This assumption that anyone knows the lineup in 2 years is pure speculation.
Besides, any player who is actually any good won't run away from competition.
Jones didn't have to go to a Hockey East school, if his priority was instant ice time.

Anyway the perceived logjam is due to smart/lucky drafting and scouting, there was no certainty that Jones(68OA), Skinner(112oA), Tarmo(98OA) would emerge as peers to K, Nils, Schneider, Robertson.
Or even Lindgren(49OA) and Fox(66OA).
The only excessive draft year at D was '18, when they selected 6 D (and a G) with 10 picks

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think there's quite a few variables to consider.

Internally, the belief is Lundkvist is the top overall player. There's also the belief he's probably going to be the cost of a big acquisition should the team more or less stick to its list of 5 players who are considered to be off the table for most realistic discussions.

Schneider is the guy who fits the mold for the type a lot of winning teams have on their roster, and the type who seems to rise to occasion in big games and against tough assignments.

On the left side, Robertson is steady and consistent, while Jones has the ability to put up the points.

If I was to take a guess, right now, my guess would be that Lundkvist ends up traded for a big ticket item at some point. Not because the Rangers don't value him, but because he's going to be the cost of doing business. I'll also venture a guess that as a non-core player, Lindgren gets moved to apply his salary elsewhere.

I think Miller, Robertson, Jones/Fox, Trouba, Schneider probably takes the best of both worlds, provides balance and affordability and allows the Rangers to pursue shoring up other areas.

But I would caution that the odds of 5 out of 6 defenseman on the blue line being more or less "home grown" is probably lower than most fans would like to hear - even if everyone pans out.

I agree with most of what you said.

I also have a feeling Lundkvist is very likely to be the one traded another possibility is Fox gets traded next season for a huge return if Lundkvist plays better than Fox did last season.

Jones's stock is also skyrocketing so he could potentially be traded too. Robertson is not only steady and consistent but also a lot bigger and of course more low key so he won't bring back a huge return.

As for trading Lindgren I don't really want to, but if you have to you do it, but the way to make him a bigger name and skyrocket his trade value is name him captain then next season he would be worth 1st rounder.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If I am Zach I refuse to sign with Rangers and either force a trade or become a UFA in a year.

This is what happens when you get obsessed with drafting too many Dmen. You shoot yourself in the foot. You only get lucky so many times (Skjei trade) others will be lost for nothing or traded for low return. When a lazy GM creates more work for himself we end up losing assets.

Rangers have a lot of everything besides Center. Had the Rangers not not won lotteries they likely would have more at center in the pipeline yet banking on a Kras, etc with Laf and/or Kakko elsewhere.

This is the best problem we could have hoped for.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Can we stop with the college draftees going the UFA route nonsense?

Show me one example of a college player that spurned the Rangers? And don't say RJ Umberger.

Players WANT to play for the Rangers. Why do all the college players use their leverage to come here? Come on. Such a waste of an argument. We went through this when Ryan McDonagh was acquired.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can we stop with the college draftees going the UFA route nonsense?

Show me one example of a college player that spurned the Rangers? And don't say RJ Umberger.

Players WANT to play for the Rangers. Why do all the college players use their leverage to come here? Come on. Such a waste of an argument. We went through this when Ryan McDonagh was acquired.
A large portion of the board was convinced Kreider would spurn us to sign with Boston.

Speaking to the same circumstances (being blocked), a lot of people here believed Tyler Wall would sign elsewhere.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I'd say that's unlikely to force a trade.

I think if he was in the same mold as some of the guys, and they were all close in age, perhaps.

But his game is different enough from all of those guys that it's not typically an issue.

I think you're gonna see quite a bit of movement between now and when Jones would enter the conversation for challenging. I'm not terribly concerned about that.
Agreed plus in an 82 game season you need at least 8 D to get thru a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->