Zach Werenski

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I don't think he's going to want to stick around for the rebuild.

I also think he's a better all-around player than Jones and is a guy you build around. You don't have 0.5+ ppg defensemen with puck-moving talent like him laying around anywhere.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Nothing wrong with that...malkin is all world and no one would think to put a C on him...kuch, Kane, Carts, so many talents

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I give it 9 months tops. Not trolling, it’s just how things are going right now. Gonna enjoy him as a player while I can.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I give it 9 months tops. Not trolling, it’s just how things are going right now. Gonna enjoy him as a player while I can.

If Z is on his way out and the organization knows this, then it's time to move on him. His value isn't going to increase. With a 2 year lock-in for his new team, he should bring quite a haul.

Perhaps the Wings would part with 2 firsts and 2 seconds and a prospect or established player. It's cheaper than a offer sheet and given Zs ability and alleged preference for his home town, Stevie Y might bite-if he views him as his #1D.

The rebuild is on and there's not a reason in the world to keep Z now if the die is cast for his future departure.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
As others have said, why would Stevie Y pay up? They are going to be bad for the next couple of years and those picks are going to be high. If Z wants to go there, they can sign him in 2 years and have him join the high picks they will have drafted.

I'm still holding out that Werenski will stay with the CBJ. But if you have to trade him, it will be to a contender looking to have him for a year or two.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As others have said, why would Stevie Y pay up? They are going to be bad for the next couple of years and those picks are going to be high. If Z wants to go there, they can sign him in 2 years and have him join the high picks they will have drafted.

I'm still holding out that Werenski will stay with the CBJ. But if you have to trade him, it will be to a contender looking to have him for a year or two.

The same reason Chicago ponied up for Jones even though they were only competing with one other team.

teams value getting players in the organization as soon as possible. Steve would pay.

Reactions: CPTN71

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The same reason Chicago ponied up for Jones even though they were only competing with one other team.

teams value getting players in the organization as soon as possible. Steve would pay.

It is not that comparable. Hawks are trying to win again now while they are in Kane’s window. They are willing to sacrifice first rounders to do it. I don’t see Detroit being in a similar situation right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Z is on his way out and the organization knows this, then it's time to move on him. His value isn't going to increase. With a 2 year lock-in for his new team, he should bring quite a haul.

Perhaps the Wings would part with 2 firsts and 2 seconds and a prospect or established player. It's cheaper than a offer sheet and given Zs ability and alleged preference for his home town, Stevie Y might bite-if he views him as his #1D.

The rebuild is on and there's not a reason in the world to keep Z now if the die is cast for his future departure.

What is the Werenski to Detroit thing based on? Other than a rumor that Kypreos (!) spread? Please tell me this is something more than hopeful thinking from a lot of 14 year old boys in Michigan.

Regarding the potential offer you mentioned, not a chance. Yzerman just drafted his future top pair in Edvinsson and Seider, and Albert Johansson is another LD that looks like a top 4 guy in the making. Those guys all line up with their timetable. He is not going to pay through the nose to speed up his timetable.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What is the Werenski to Detroit thing based on? Other than a rumor that Kypreos (!) spread? Please tell me this is something more than hopeful thinking from a lot of 14 year old boys in Michigan.

Regarding the potential offer you mentioned, not a chance. Yzerman just drafted his future top pair in Edvinsson and Seider, and Albert Johansson is another LD that looks like a top 4 guy in the making. Those guys all line up with their timetable. He is not going to pay through the nose to speed up his timetable.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but Zach Werenski is from Detroit.

-- signed, Jack Roslovic is from Columbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Zach is an established top pair guy. The others are TBD's. If Jarmo was offered the equivalent of a Zach who was a C do you think he'd go for that or would he still wait for the 2 guys he just drafted?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Zach is an established top pair guy. The others are TBD's. If Jarmo was offered the equivalent of a Zach who was a C do you think he'd go for that or would he still wait for the 2 guys he just drafted?

What would Detroit be with Zach next seson? I would guess the answer is still not very good. That's the reason you don't give up your #1 pick for next year.

Again if Detroit could go get some picks via their cap space then I agree they may look at trading those for him, but no way do they trade next years #1 unless they somehow see a path to add a ton of talent and be ready to win next season. I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Nanabijou

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What would Detroit be with Zach next seson? I would guess the answer is still not very good. That's the reason you don't give up your #1 pick for next year.

Again if Detroit could go get some picks via their cap space then I agree they may look at trading those for him, but no way do they trade next years #1 unless they somehow see a path to add a ton of talent and be ready to win next season. I just don't see it happening.

I don't get your logic. Their #1 pick next year isn't going to help next year at all or probably the year after that.
They are in a rebuild like we are. Adding a player of Zach's caliber accelerates the process.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't get your logic. Their #1 pick next year isn't going to help next year at all or probably the year after that.
They are in a rebuild like we are. Adding a player of Zach's caliber accelerates the process.

Again if Zach is a big deal then where do you think Detroit finishes with him next year? I don't think he makes a difference next year in winning and losing with their roster. That's my answer. Signing a very good offensive dman on an absolutely crappy team doesn't help. They would rather take another top 6 pick next year (with a great draft class) who they will have under cost control and still have a ton of cap room. Detroit knows they won't be good until 2023-24 at earliest (maybe competitive in 2022-23 but not good).

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Detroit #1 picks in the next two drafts are like gold to them. The Jackets may or may not get their shit together, but the Wings will be bad. They are still gutted from the Holland era and won't recover for years.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We are already blowing it up and if Z wont sign 6-8year deal he should be traded. Value is enormous not franchise 1C value but 2 1st and A prospect

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It is not that comparable. Hawks are trying to win again now while they are in Kane’s window. They are willing to sacrifice first rounders to do it. I don’t see Detroit being in a similar situation right now.

The comparisons aren’t perfect but I don’t think Yzerman would wait to bring in a player like Werenski. While they’re still rebuilding, they’ve got good pieces in place for their future. It would be like when Vancouver traded a future first round pick for JT Miller even though they had just finished in the bottom 10 in the standings.

Reactions: Buckcub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

The price I suggested was steep. But the idea that Z couldn't fetch a 1st, 2nd and a decent player coming back doesn't hold water with me.

Someone will pay. If the trade is done soon, the return will be better than the Jones deal.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Think Filip Hronek will be traded to Werenski straight up.

Columbus will lose the trade, but will get a decent asset.

Add Rasmussen + a 3rd rounder and a handful of us would prolly be ok with it.

I’m not allowed to say anything negative about Werenski, but, I think he is nowhere near being a viable #1D at this point, and I’m not very confident in the idea that he ever will be.

Besides his quite poor skating that gets brushed off quite a bit, he is very good offensively. The problem?? He plays defense.

The questions about his effort level are also legitimate, IMO. I don’t think it’s quite on Jojo/Laine levels, but it seems VERY RARE for Werenski to seem to be playing truly at 100%, and there’s plenty of times when NOBODY can justify his defensive decisions or effort level on certain plays or shifts.

I can’t claim to have watched much of Hronek, Bean, or Boqvist early is their careers, but, they are perceived to be the same type of player that Werenski is I believe.

Could be reason to both stay away from Hronek and deal Werenski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad