Zach Werenski

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Try to keep him. I’d say 8.5 million is the ceiling I would go, but watching him this year without Jones will be telling. There’s going to be a drop off, as there would for anyone losing a top tier defenseman like Jones. But if he hangs in there this year and puts up 40 ish points and is his usual self defensively (mostly fine but with some hiccups and missed coverages ) then I’d pay up.

If he requests a trade or hints he’ll do the Anderson route (accept QO, walk to UFA) then you trade him next summer.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If he requests a trade or hints he’ll do the Anderson route (accept QO, walk to UFA) then you trade him next summer.

How many years to FA for him? 1 or 2? I think it is 2 - this season & next will give him 7 years. And coincidentally today is his birthday so its 3 years till age 27.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe it`s time to trade him. Because I doubt he would want to stay here. I hope I`m wrong.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Try to keep him. I’d say 8.5 million is the ceiling I would go, but watching him this year without Jones will be telling. There’s going to be a drop off, as there would for anyone losing a top tier defenseman like Jones. But if he hangs in there this year and puts up 40 ish points and is his usual self defensively (mostly fine but with some hiccups and missed coverages ) then I’d pay up.

I have no problem paying Werenski $8.5m per, I think he's a legit #1D every bit as good as Chabot. He needs a mobile stay-at-home D-partner not a superstar next to him. He's been more consistent than Jones anyways, I don't think he'll miss him.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think it's premature to say that...no one has any real idea...my understanding is he loves the area and loves being a Blue Jacket...but all things are constantly changing
The first part was pretty confidently said about Jones recently as well

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You know Jarmo can just make a long term offer after July 28th, basically asking him if he wants to stay?

It's certainly not time to trade him at any point before getting an answer to that question.

Agreed. Like others I think he has his sites set elsewhere, but with the roster as constructed I don't mind paying him $8.5 and 8 years. THat would tell us quickly if he was interested.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You know Jarmo can just make a long term offer after July 28th, basically asking him if he wants to stay?

It's certainly not time to trade him at any point before getting an answer to that question.
Of course but I don`t too believe. But again I hope I`m wrong.
Simply IMHO we would let players who want to stay here.

CrockyCrock

May 7, 2021
My tinfoil hat theory is Zach has already decided he's finishing this contract, taking the qualifying offer and walking to UFA as soon as he can to go to Detroit. We know the hometown/Larkin angle but they'll also be poised to breakout with a strong prospect pool that outside of big trades only gets better between now and then.

I think Seth and Zach have both known their days in Cbus were numbered for quite a while and when that news got to PLD last year he decided to force his way out sooner rather than later. To me that solves the question of why his mood flipped so quickly and why we'll never hear it officially because while a scummy move no single or group of players are unprofessional enough to admit "Yeah these guys are leaving so I'm not hanging around either"

Whole lotta speculation I admit but I think unfortunately fairly plausible.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’d go 8x$9m… I think it may take a 9 to convince him to stay long term though there are a lot of moving pieces to figure out that may or may not make it easier/cheaper.

Optimistically this would help against the “everybody wants to leave Columbus” crap… and by staying make him a rock star in CBJ fans eyes at least.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d go 8x$9m… I think it may take a 9 to convince him to stay long term though there are a lot of moving pieces to figure out that may or may not make it easier/cheaper.

Optimistically this would help against the “everybody wants to leave Columbus” crap… and by staying make him a rock star in CBJ fans eyes at least.

It's higher than I'd like but I don't think we would ever regret a $9m deal with Werenski. You can win a cup with him as your #1D and it stops the exodus.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Closer to a #3 than he is a #1.

IMO
upload_2021-7-20_0-8-12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events