Prospect Info: Zach Senyshyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's been around here. But it hasn't been reported officially anywhere. It's all propaganda to make the pick look like less of a reach. No idea why anyone in the leafs or red wings would let it be known they'd have traded up for him. And even if there was a member of the leafs or wings on the inside willing to go off the record and give that information. He can't work for both teams. So now there are 2 moles inside 2 separate organizations who are both feeding information to hockey future posters off the record but won't give that information to you know, reporters. It doesn't add up, but I'm just a skeptic who doesn't believe a bunch of smoke equals fire. Especially if the smoke is anonymous and can't be seen by anyone.

Honestly though, it's not unlikely for people to share thoughts and for those thoughts to be casually picked up person to person when you have multiple people not only scouting, but putting together and assisting with the information of said scouting. This is likely especially after the fact, when the picks have already been made.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly though, it's not unlikely for people to share thoughts and for those thoughts to be casually picked up person to person when you have multiple people not only scouting, but putting together and assisting with the information of said scouting. This is likely especially after the fact, when the picks have already been made.

Hey I'll bank my impeccable reputation what I say is true :laugh:

Anyone can believe what they want I'm just saying Boston if they wanted the player the pretty much had to get him before 19

The Bruins probably picked him early but about 3 spots :biglaugh:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's been around here. But it hasn't been reported officially anywhere. It's all propaganda to make the pick look like less of a reach. No idea why anyone in the leafs or red wings would let it be known they'd have traded up for him. And even if there was a member of the leafs or wings on the inside willing to go off the record and give that information. He can't work for both teams. So now there are 2 moles inside 2 separate organizations who are both feeding information to hockey future posters off the record but won't give that information to you know, reporters. It doesn't add up, but I'm just a skeptic who doesn't believe a bunch of smoke equals fire. Especially if the smoke is anonymous and can't be seen by anyone.

Can I ask a few questions?

Who says it has to come from a team?

Wouldn't an agent know if two teams had told him they were picking him? Couldn't that agent have told the Bruins as well and thus they took their guy?

Food for thought buddy ;)

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

No, the guys from Sportsnet or TSN reported it, thats how it 'got around', it wasn't pulled out of thin air on these boards.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Detroit and Toronto were coming up into late teens to get him

where is this info coming from?

I had not heard about Toronto but a couple of days after the Draft was completed Bob McKenzie said on TSN that Detroit was definitely going to grab Senyshyn at # 19 and that another team picking in the early 20's ( Toronto did have the # 24 pick before trading it to Philly at the Draft ) had him at the top of their list. McKenzie is one of the few guys that rarely gives out wrong information.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Ah, the intrigue! :laugh:

Anyway, I only saw ZS play once this year. I would really love not to have to watch him next year.

What I saw was someone who could command the puck, and despite the overall lack of positional talent on that team, worked his butt off to make plays. Did he float? Yeah, but I think he was tired since he took a lot of ice time.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Can I ask a few questions?

Who says it has to come from a team?

Wouldn't an agent know if two teams had told him they were picking him? Couldn't that agent have told the Bruins as well and thus they took their guy?

Food for thought buddy ;)

And agents generally are honest about player interest? Yeah I'm sure every team was in on senyshyn: the Bruins are lucky to have gotten him where they did. Mckenzie said it? How come no one wrote about it. And it was here first? Everything is here first, just when 99% of the stuff that's here ends up being wrong, credit shouldn't be awarded here, ever. There isn't any real source on paper saying he would have been taken by anyone in the first. I just want THAT out there so people don't take it as common knowldedge.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I had not heard about Toronto but a couple of days after the Draft was completed Bob McKenzie said on TSN that Detroit was definitely going to grab Senyshyn at # 19 and that another team picking in the early 20's ( Toronto did have the # 24 pick before trading it to Philly at the Draft ) had him at the top of their list. McKenzie is one of the few guys that rarely gives out wrong information.

Mckenzie said it? How come no one wrote about it.

So now you're calling me a liar ???? It's not like McKenzie wrote a full article about it or did a full TV segment about the pick - he just mentioned it in passing. All I remember is that it was part of that dumb " Quiz Master " segment they have on TSN and one of the the questions was something like " Who was the biggest reach in the 1st round " with Senyshyn as one of the options. One of the panelists picked Senyshyn and then McKenzie countered with the info about Detroit and the other team that was ready to take him if he was still there when their turn came up. Believe it or not - I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if you don't.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

This is just an ultimate facepalm of a post. Good god. :help:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
First, I'm 100% sure what Dom says is true. Nobody can know if the agent was playing the game for his client or not, but I don't think it's that important in this debate.

Say Senyshyn is pick at 19th. Say the draft goes how it was suppose to and the Bruins doesn't make those two picks out of left field. That bring back everyone two spot. So at 19th, what we see is picking Senyshyn before Samsonov, Boeser, Konecny, Roslovic. That is still a surprise pick for sure, but it's absolutely not at the same level as taking him before Barzal, Connor, Chabot, White, Svechnikov and Eriksson Ek.

For me that's where is the problem. It's not if Senyshyn was picked early or if other teams would have draft him in the 1st. It's taking him when you had Barzal, Connor, Chabot, White and Svechnikov ready to go (I don't count Eriksson Ek I wasn't high on him). If he was pick after those guys, the only one who's maybe obvious is Konecny and I wasn't that high on him too.

So I kinda have no problem taking a chance with Senyshyn in that 2nd tier of prospect at 19th,but I have where they picked him because of the player who were available.

Reactions: Lo97

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
And agents generally are honest about player interest? Yeah I'm sure every team was in on senyshyn: the Bruins are lucky to have gotten him where they did. Mckenzie said it? How come no one wrote about it. And it was here first? Everything is here first, just when 99% of the stuff that's here ends up being wrong, credit shouldn't be awarded here, ever. There isn't any real source on paper saying he would have been taken by anyone in the first. I just want THAT out there so people don't take it as common knowledge.

Man if you are looking for concrete evidence in a situation like this you would never find it, for a source to come out and admit they were the one spreading information it would be the end of their job. Now we have guys on the inside that post on this board, and that is the closest you will get to finding out what went on. Now you can choose to believe that you are the one with all the information and form your own conclusions, but why attack the guy giving us insider information with a great track record for information provided.

I know a couple of people around here were extremely high on Senyshun before the draft, he didn't have the exposure of guys like Connor and Barzal doesn't mean he was less of a player. Beyond that he was drafted because he can score goals, and draft year +1 he decidedly outscored the guys he we passed over for him. If what you want is a slick puck distributing center, than sure be upset we didn't pick one with one of our picks, but it's hard to knock the pick when he did exactly what he was supposed to this year which was score a bunch of goals.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
First, I'm 100% sure what Dom says is true. Nobody can know if the agent was playing the game for his client or not, but I don't think it's that important in this debate.

Say Senyshyn is pick at 19th. Say the draft goes how it was suppose to and the Bruins doesn't make those two picks out of left field. That bring back everyone two spot. So at 19th, what we see is picking Senyshyn before Samsonov, Boeser, Konecny, Roslovic. That is still a surprise pick for sure, but it's absolutely not at the same level as taking him before Barzal, Connor, Chabot, White, Svechnikov and Eriksson Ek.

For me that's where is the problem. It's not if Senyshyn was picked early or if other teams would have draft him in the 1st. It's taking him when you had Barzal, Connor, Chabot, White and Svechnikov ready to go (I don't count Eriksson Ek I wasn't high on him). If he was pick after those guys, the only one who's maybe obvious is Konecny and I wasn't that high on him too.

So I kinda have no problem taking a chance with Senyshyn in that 2nd tier of prospect at 19th,but I have where they picked him because of the player who were available.

What player in the "top" tier are you going on record in saying will be a better player than ZS ? In the NHL.

I will go on record and say the Bruins make a great pick and got the player THEY wanted and not the players HF boards or TSN wanted in that spot.

I am also willing to say I like all THREE "kids" they pick and I'm looking forward to seeing them in a Bruins uniform.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
man, don`t get all the BS floating around here. Conspiracy theories, demands of citing proof this kid was going to be chosen by another team or two if the B`s don`t/didn`t draft him......sorry, I recall a poster here who first mentioned it, and that poster is one who is far more connected than 99.99% of the posters on this board and who`s opinion`s I respect and trust to be true

I think teams draft on what they need, what they like and what they believe a particular player will develop into. This kid is a big, fast winger with touch who clearly embraced the role of being a leader and with the help of only a few, lead a less than stacked Soo team into the 2nd round of the playoffs before bowing out.

Last year, played 3/4th line minutes and produced some pretty heady numbers with limited TOI. This year, was in a role where opponents had to put game plans in place where they had to be aware of him all the time and look what he did. Anyone have issues with that response and development in his game? Not this fan. Now, does this mean the kid is a future NHL HOF`er? No, but love what I have read from those I really trust about his game and it sure makes me thankful the B`s scooped him up when they did

Half the fans arguing this and that about ZS, where he was picked, and how he plays, I`d wager have watched about 0 of his minutes played this year.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
And agents generally are honest about player interest? Yeah I'm sure every team was in on senyshyn: the Bruins are lucky to have gotten him where they did. Mckenzie said it? How come no one wrote about it. And it was here first? Everything is here first, just when 99% of the stuff that's here ends up being wrong, credit shouldn't be awarded here, ever. There isn't any real source on paper saying he would have been taken by anyone in the first. I just want THAT out there so people don't take it as common knowldedge.

A "real source on paper"?

"Dear media, the Red Wings were planning to take Senyshyn in the first round. Sincerely yours, Joe Blow, Red Wings Player Personnel Department"

:laugh:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
A "real source on paper"?

"Dear media, the Red Wings were planning to take Senyshyn in the first round. Sincerely yours, Joe Blow, Red Wings Player Personnel Department"

:laugh:

I just assume that if bob mckenzie or someone of his ilk said that on tv, a media reporter would have wrote about it. Any of the boston beat guys would have wrote about it. Because if true, it makes the pick look a lot better than it did on draft day. Its a valuable piece of information. If mckenzie said it, haggerty or DuPont or shinzawa would have had a story saying "hey maybe sweeney didn't reach a round early on him like everyone said they did." It's a headline that the Bruins would have wanted their guys to cover from a PR perspective if mckenzie found that out and said it on national tv. However, no one reported it. Mckenzie said it and it disappeared never to be heard or found again. It's just conveinant that way. Too conveinant.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
What player in the "top" tier are you going on record in saying will be a better player than ZS ? In the NHL.

I will go on record and say the Bruins make a great pick and got the player THEY wanted and not the players HF boards or TSN wanted in that spot.

I am also willing to say I like all THREE "kids" they pick and I'm looking forward to seeing them in a Bruins uniform.

Well, well, well ...

Since you're courageous enough to say "nothing" on record, I'll do the same and go on record saying the Bruins made ok picks, but could have done better ...

I don't care about hf or tsn, like everyone who's into propsects I have my favorite and the one I'm not high on.

I like the three kids they pick, don't like where they take two of them, but it doesn't mean I don't like the kid or I want them to fail. I don't understand the reasoning you have linking those two totally different ideas between them.

Contrary to many here, I still think the same right now than what I was thinking on that friday night of june. I understand why alot of fans change their mind, it's what fans do, I'm still doing it a little, but getting older I try to be more consistent with what I think. I'd compare this mentality to the Thornton trade. The idea behind that trade wasn't bad, but the execution was god aweful and we gifted one of the best player of a decade for almost nothing. Shortly after the trade everybody was angry about the sad return we got for a super star. Then fans wanted to feel better about it. Now the idea most accepted is it was a good trade and the Bruins don't win the Cup without it. Well, it was a good move to deal him, the deal it itself was amazingly bad. What kind of major role did Sturm, Stuart and Primeau played for us to win the Cup? none. The departition of Thornton played a role, but the return did not and it should have.

So, contrary to the vast majority of fan here who change their opinion 180 degre, I didn't. I'm sticking with what I thinked at the time. What's funy/sad is I'm seen as a traitor because I didn't follow the movement ...

P.S.1: Again, I'm a Bruins fans, I want those kids to succed and help the team I cheer for. I'll be glad when they prove me wrong, because what I want in the end isn't to be right, it's for the team to win the Cup.

P.S.2: I know some were high on those pick right from the start, I respect that and will always be willing to listen to them.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Does it really matter if other teams were going to pick him or not?

The only thing I care about is seeing if the guy we did pick can be better than guys we passed on.

Reactions: Lo97

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I just assume that if bob mckenzie or someone of his ilk said that on tv, a media reporter would have wrote about it. Any of the boston beat guys would have wrote about it. Because if true, it makes the pick look a lot better than it did on draft day. Its a valuable piece of information. If mckenzie said it, haggerty or DuPont or shinzawa would have had a story saying "hey maybe sweeney didn't reach a round early on him like everyone said they did." It's a headline that the Bruins would have wanted their guys to cover from a PR perspective if mckenzie found that out and said it on national tv. However, no one reported it. Mckenzie said it and it disappeared never to be heard or found again. It's just conveinant that way. Too conveinant.

Uh oh, looks like the nefarious Bruins PR machine fell down on the job.

This just gets better and better. :laugh:

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
All of this stuff is secondary to the fact that he looks like a damn fine hockey player. Some of the goals he scored this year were objectively filthy. For my money he's going to be Pasta 2.0, but a little taller and wider, and that sounds good to me.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
All of this stuff is secondary to the fact that he looks like a damn fine hockey player. Some of the goals he scored this year were objectively filthy. For my money he's going to be Pasta 2.0, but a little taller and wider, and that sounds good to me.

He's exactly what the team needs - size (only Hayes is taller among their NHL forwards), speed that would probably make him their fastest forward and a wicked shot from the wing.

For this club and what they are looking to build, I don't see much to dislike.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

Those goal were filthy, he is a really flashy player. I don't see the comparaison with Pasta, Pasta thinks the game way faster. Pasta was #1 scorer on his allsvensken team at 17yo (a men league). At 18 he was Providence best player and for a couple month Boston best player. At 18 Senyshyn was the 3rd scorer on his junior team, beaten by a 3rd rounder and an undrafted overager.

I'm under the impression in 5 years from now I will be one of the few who defend Senyshyn while those who now excpect a big, fast, 30 goals 1st liner will want his head ...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Senyshyn's skating gets him to the high-danger spots and he had the second-most (52) of those attempts in the OHL per Sportsnet:
Last week, I wrote a piece breaking down OHL shooters by their shots from various areas in the offensive zone (Low, Medium and High Danger shots). Sadowy ranked third on the list of producers likely to translate their OHL goal production to the NHL and he had the most High Danger shots in the OHL by a wide margin. His 61 HD attempts in the low slot were nine higher than the second-ranked skater Zach Senyshyn, who was a first-rounder last year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Does it really matter if other teams were going to pick him or not?

The only thing I care about is seeing if the guy we did pick can be better than guys we passed on.

Exactly. It doesn't really matter if a team wanted him later in the round, closer to where he allegedly belonged.

I'm becoming a fan but I am never going to buy that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad