Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - III - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
The problem is people were misinformed about him and when people tried to correct that they were considered to be beating his drum as you put it. In his time in Providence he was asked to do something that doesn't show up on the score board. The problem is people who don't watch the game would never have known and thought he sucks. Also everyone thought he sucked anyway that's why people chimed in about his progress.
Dude let it go. He’s out of chances most likely to make this team in any regular capacity. You know what’s insufferable? Hearing over and over how he was asked to play a 200 ft game and be more responsible. Guess what tho, his bread and butter for scoring goals don’t translate to the nhl. Burning 16 year olds on the outside in juniors is great and all but yeah look how far that got him. He’s a perimeter player at best who can find a nut occasionally in front of the net however he has neither the weight or attitude to survive there. 5 years listening to people like yourself , self proclaimed “informed “ gracing us “uninformed” with tales of forechecking on the 4th line in providence. Jesus Christ :banghead:

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
The problem is people were misinformed about him and when people tried to correct that they were considered to be beating his drum as you put it. In his time in Providence he was asked to do something that doesn't show up on the score board. The problem is people who don't watch the game would never have known and thought he sucks. Also everyone thought he sucked anyway that's why people chimed in about his progress.
It’s a tired argument. It would have more impact if the exact same things weren’t said about Jared Knight.

It’s like the boy who cried wolf. Yes we made the same excuses for a bunch of other prospects but this time we’re serious.

If you have nhl skill at some point you’re going to put up points at the AHL level. I will bet the house no one ever said “Zach, forget about scoring we need a strict defense only game”

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
It’s a tired argument. It would have more impact if the exact same things weren’t said about Jared Knight.

It’s like the boy who cried wolf. Yes we made the same excuses for a bunch of other prospects but this time we’re serious.

If you have nhl skill at some point you’re going to put up points at the AHL level. I will bet the house no one ever said “Zach, forget about scoring we need a strict defense only game”
Have you ever watched him play in Providence? Also there have been multiple times were he has shown the scoring prowess. We just like to overlook that part because it is more convenient for everyone who wants to say he sucks and can't score. I will say this though I still think he will be a NHL regular and he will play for Boston this season.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Have you ever watched him play in Providence? Also there have been multiple times were he has shown the scoring prowess. We just like to overlook that part because it is more convenient for everyone who wants to say he sucks and can't score. I will say this though I still think he will be a NHL regular and he will play for Boston this season.
Well seemingly the scouts and front office have watched him enough to give every other nhl franchise a shot to take him free of charge.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The only idiot here is you who feels the need to call everyone idiots..
I didn't call everyone idiots, just the ones claiming he was an NHL option when there was nothing to suggest he was.

I will say this I have not seen anyone ever mentioned him being a top-six option.
If no one has done it, then technically I am calling no one an idiot. But of course, this is disingenuous, and you know it.

Also as for the stat watchers thing, he was asked to do something that doesn't show up in the limited stats that the AHL has.
Well I know one thing, he certainly mastered the art of not showing up in stats. :laugh:

As for insufferable you guys who never seen but kept calling him a bust because he didn't put up the numbers you wanted were even more insufferable. You constantly felt the need to make it seem as you were right even though you never seen him.
No, I felt the need to voice my opinion about an underperforming player who was constantly was being named as someone who could help this team in a scoring capacity when he wasn't helping his AHL team in that role. I felt the need to call out the opinion he deserved a chance when he certainly did not. I called out the people who posted puff pieces on managements 'opinion' of this player, when managements actions told a different story.

For the record, I didn't need to see him play to understand he wasn't a top-six option. If Joona Koppanen is outscoring you, you aren't a top-six option. Eyewitness testimony is always the least reliable ;).

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think Seny would probably have cleared waivers in normal circumstances anyway, but I also get the impression that this year, with the unique situation with the taxi squads, the GMs have collectively agreed not to poach players from other teams through waivers, or at least not without prior consultation with the relevant GM. I suspect that's been seen as the fair way to go for everyone because of the novel nature of the taxi system and the possibility that most teams are going to need to dig deeper into their rosters than usual to get through this season.
I'll say one thing: a lack of offer sheets, Donald Fehr and what you're suggesting would probably lead to a successful lawsuit brought by the NHLPA for collusion. Agreeing to not place a claim so a supposed competitor can keep a 2-way contract player at the lower AHL rate is easily provable damages if someone squeals, and Fehr's got a penchant for making them squeal.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I've watched Zach play at all levels. From the very beginning I felt he was built perfect for success however appeared to be missing the hockey IQ thing. It's prevented him from becoming an elite hockey player.

IMO he appeared to be watching / waiting for the play to come to him. You simply can't do that in the AHL/NHL.
I think rather than missing hockey IQ he just never really needed it when he was younger. He could dominate using his physical abilities. Since he never needed it he never developed it which I put most the blame on the SOO coaching staff. By the time he made it to Providence he was already behind on the development curve. Now during that time they have worked on that part and we definitely saw it when he played for Boston last season.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think rather than missing hockey IQ he just never really needed it when he was younger. He could dominate using his physical abilities. Since he never needed it he never developed it which I put most the blame on the SOO coaching staff. By the time he made it to Providence he was already behind on the development curve. Now during that time they have worked on that part and we definitely saw it when he played for Boston last season.
I’ve heard scouts talk about hockey IQ as something you can’t develop, you either have it or you don’t. It’s something that occurs in the brain in milliseconds, and is mostly instinct. Scouts (good ones) are looking for it very early (first years of junior) and are apparently putting more and more weight into it every year.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve heard scouts talk about hockey IQ as something you can’t develop, you either have it or you don’t. It’s something that occurs in the brain in milliseconds, and is mostly instinct. Scouts (good ones) are looking for it very early (first years of junior) and are apparently putting more and more weight into it every year.
Maybe I worded it wrongly then. I think that the coaching staff never really had him use it that much. He definitely has shown some high IQ plays since leaving SOO which means that it is definitely there.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

This. Scouts might as well treat hockey IQ is basically as immutable as height. You can't teach Senyshyn IQ, the best you can do is manage his lack of IQ (e.g. simplify his game, literally tell him where to go).

I believe the two most important qualities that determine the success of a player are hockey IQ and character (primarily on-ice competitiveness and courage, but also coachability, work-ethic, team-orientation, etc.). Make a general rule that every player you draft should be high on these two qualities, then also try to get size, skating, shooting, hands, etc. as much as possible. Drafting Senyshyn and Beecher is a product of prioritizing secondary characteristics (size and skating) over the primary ones.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm no Pro Scout, but my impressions of when I saw Seny in his first year in Providence and some of the prospect camps is that immediately I noticed his speed and his size. Sadly I also noticed his lackluster shot and his low offensive IQ. He would dart through the neutral zone only to be left all alone in the O-zone where the D shut him to the outside wall and smothered him. This is not uncommon for a young kid with great wheels, he will outskate his linemates and put himself on a deserted island. But Seny did it again and again and again. No creativity. No dangerous shots. just wristers into the logo or lob shots. That is when I began to question how the kid would turn out. He had tools he did not use(size), tools he did not know how to effectively use(Speed), and a lack of general hockey IQ, awareness, and creativity.

This is when I began to question the pick.

HOWEVER,
He was still a kid and could learn his way past ALL those issues I listed. For some he has improved, others....not so much.
This is why I think people wanted to have HF posters lay off the kid. He is a kid, let him prove himself and grow.
Others saw enough warning signs that they felt safe in labeling him and blaming Sweeney.
Now we have both extremes pointing fingers at each other all over several threads now.
People who like Senyshyn or who were patient with his development are wondering what is going wrong.
People who did not like the pick and now using this waver assignment as some kind of evidence that they are right while also are using it as some kind of basis to punish other posters.

Stahp.
Just, stop.
It makes no difference how right you may be if expressing your view makes you look like a jerk.
No one likes a jerk even if they are right.

Where we are now is that Seny has to prove himself, like Cehlarik his time is almost up. Irregardless as to the reasons why he has not made the team on opening night in a crucial season for him.
Time will tell this season how he does.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm no Pro Scout, but my impressions of when I saw Seny in his first year in Providence and some of the prospect camps is that immediately I noticed his speed and his size. Sadly I also noticed his lackluster shot and his low offensive IQ. He would dart through the neutral zone only to be left all alone in the O-zone where the D shut him to the outside wall and smothered him. This is not uncommon for a young kid with great wheels, he will outskate his linemates and put himself on a deserted island. But Seny did it again and again and again. No creativity. No dangerous shots. just wristers into the logo or lob shots. That is when I began to question how the kid would turn out. He had tools he did not use(size), tools he did not know how to effectively use(Speed), and a lack of general hockey IQ, awareness, and creativity.

HOWEVER,
He was still a kid and could learn his way past ALL those issues I listed. For some he has improved, others....not so much.
This is why I think people wanted to have HF posters lay off the kid. He is a kid, let him prove himself and grow.
Others saw enough warning signs that they felt safe in labeling him and blaming Sweeney.
Now we have both extremes pointing fingers at each other all over several threads now.
People who like Senyshyn or who were patient with his development are wondering what is going wrong.
People who did not like the pick and now using this waver assignment as some kind of evidence that they are right while also are using it as some kind of basis to punish other posters.

Stahp.
Just, stop.
It makes no difference how right you may be if expressing your view makes you look like a jerk.

Where we are now is that Seny has to prove himself, like Cehlarik his time is almost up. Irregardless as to the reasons why he has not made the team on opening night in a crucial season for him.
Right on the money!!!!!! I'm thinking we should just close this one up on this. AM has nailed this thing shut.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I dont care if they take him or not. Just if you have him there someone better can be saved from being exposed.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but having him exposed doesn't save anyone else from being exposed as long as the Bruins protection list and minimum number of players exposed is in proper order? ie. Bruins can expose certain players, but the expansion team can take anyone eligible that isn't protected? Or am I misinterpreting the rules?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but having him exposed doesn't save anyone else from being exposed as long as the Bruins protection list and minimum number of players exposed is in proper order? ie. Bruins can expose certain players, but the expansion team can take anyone eligible that isn't protected? Or am I misinterpreting the rules?

Dammit. That sounds right and I was thinking of it incorrectly. They can only protect a certain amount. lol

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

HOWEVER,

Stahp.
Just, stop.

Too right. The level of gloating is a bit stupid- whatever anyone thought of the pick, he is a Bruin and EVERYONE here that is a Bruins fan should have wanted him to be good. The fact that in D+6 he is not making the team over guys like Par Lindholm ought to be more sad than a cause for celebration.

Well, many of us also lived through Lars Jonsson and Martin Samuelsson. It happens and it sucks.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Too right. The level of gloating is a bit stupid- whatever anyone thought of the pick, he is a Bruin and EVERYONE here that is a Bruins fan should have wanted him to be good. The fact that in D+6 he is not making the team over guys like Par Lindholm ought to be more sad than a cause for celebration.

Well, many of us also lived through Lars Jonsson and Martin Samuelsson. It happens and it sucks.
I think that is more to the fact that Lindholm is a safe option which is fine as your 13th forward. Also the gloating here today has been so bad that I almost want to delete my account and is one of the reasons @BruinsNetwork did so before.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think that is more to the fact that Lindholm is a safe option which is fine as your 13th forward. Also the gloating here today has been so bad that I almost want to delete my account and is one of the reasons @BruinsNetwork did so before.

I agree- I get why they keep Lindholm. That said, for a first rounder not to be able, six years in, to displace a Lindholm-level player says it all and it is a real bummer.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't think the door is fully shut on Senyshyn cracking an NHL lineup. He's still young enough to have the ball in his court to improve and show he's got what it takes.

I think a lot of people easily gloss over the role of luck when it comes to player development and team success ( especially in the playoffs ).

When Senyshyn got injured, he had 5 points in 6 games ( two taken by questionable replay reviews ), his confidence was growing, and his coach gave him public praise. But then he gets hurt and loses his spot on the roster. If Senyshyn doesn't get hurt, who knows... maybe he finds a home next to Coyle and he has a decent rookie year, and his projection changes. Confidence is a funny thing, especially for a young player who already has had a lot of questions surrounding him and his talent. I would hate to see a young man lose his way because of something that is out of his control ( the knee injury ). I hope he stays with the organization and he continues his career here. If he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it. I just think 23 is too young for anyone to not turn the narrative around.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad