Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - III - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
One of the things that has to be considered is how Senyshyn has been managed in Providence. Despite the intriguing stats and unbelievable size, speed and skill package in his draft year, Senyshyn was by far the rawest prospect taken in the 1st round. If I recall correctly, by the time he got to Providence, JAy Leach realized that if he was going to make it in the NHL (at least as a Bruin) he would need to redefine his game to focus on forechecking and crashing the net. He has played primarily a checking role in Providence with very little PP time until just before the COVID pause. Anthony at the Bruins Network reported that Senysyhyn was often the best player on the ice for both teams due to his hyper-aggressive forecheck. Now that is something the Bruins missed this postseason.

For reference, here is Leach's postseason recap on both Seny and Zboril. The latest on the development of 2015 first-round picks Zach Senyshyn, Jakub Zboril

Senyshyn's competition for the 4RW are essentially Wags and Kuhlman. Those are the guys he has to beat. Based on the poor performance of the 4th line last year, I would imagine the job is totally up for grabs.

Now, some of you have mentioned Seny might be "gifted" a chance higher up the depth chart. Whether you like it or not, Senyshyn has paid his dues in the A. So, if he ends up getting a look alongside Bergeron, Krejci or Coyle...it's because he has earned the look. The question is whether he can keep the job.

While I look forward to seeing more of Kase, until he produces on the scoreboard, he is entirely replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kase continue to struggle in that regards...or god forbid he get his clock cleaned for the 20th time...that might be the type of opportunity Seny needs to get an extended look.

I wouldn't bet my mortgage on Seny playing more than 20 games in Boston this year...but if he does, I think he is the type of unique player who could thrive once he figures it all out.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
How are people suddenly now referring to him as a ‘bigger body’ and one of the last posts in the locked thread referred to his ‘unbelievable size’....he weighs the same as anders Bjork. Ya he’s 6’2 so he’s tall but calling him a big body and using josh Anderson as sort of a comp is highly inaccurate.

member 96824

Player A:
3 OHL years: 0.98 PPG
3 Providence AHL: 0.35 PPG

Player B:
3 OHL years: 0.91 PPG
3 Providence AHL: 0.38 PPG

Edit:
Player C to continue from the last thread though that kind of gives it away..
3 OHL years: 1.02 PPG
3 AHL years: 0.61 PPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How are people suddenly now referring to him as a ‘bigger body’ and one of the last posts in the locked thread referred to his ‘unbelievable size’....he weighs the same as anders Bjork. Ya he’s 6’2 so he’s tall but calling him a big body and using josh Anderson as sort of a comp is highly inaccurate.
Think they were referring to the size/speed/skill package- not size alone. But it looks like he is still listed at his draft height and weight..

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
His size/speed/skill package is speed period imo

It appears you didn't take the time to read the article which I shared in my post. So, let me add the pertinent quote below.

"Seny was starting to score, was getting to the dirty areas and they were a heavy forechecking line," Leach offered. "He was finding an identity. I think we all would somewhat speculate that was his identity: Being a big guy that could get to places quick and get to the front of the net."

~Jay Leach, Head Coach

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
For the record, Anders Bjork is 6' and weights 190. Zach Senyshyn is now listed at 6'3" and 195. He is only 23 years old. While he will never be 220, I am interested in seeing his weight when he reports to camp. If he exceeds 200 with that height, it's ideal for the wing position.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It appears you didn't take the time to read the article which I shared in my post. So, let me add the pertinent quote below.

"Seny was starting to score, was getting to the dirty areas and they were a heavy forechecking line," Leach offered. "He was finding an identity. I think we all would somewhat speculate that was his identity: Being a big guy that could get to places quick and get to the front of the net."

~Jay Leach, Head Coach

Look, it doesn't matter what Leach says. He is a shill for Sweeney trying to save face after the awful selection that Seny was. Seny will never play in the NHL as a regular and in two seasons he will be over in France with his buddy Zach Hamill.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Look, it doesn't matter what Leach says. He is a shill for Sweeney trying to save face after the awful selection that Seny was. Seny will never play in the NHL as a regular and in two seasons he will be over in France with his buddy Zach Hamill.

I am pretty sure Jay Leach's job is to develop whatever talent comes his way. If Leach is such a shill why was Providence top of class last year and why has he forced Senyshyn to earn his minutes the hard way? If he was a shill, he would have "gifted" Senyshyn top line reps and PP time. Apparently, that's not what he needed to succeed at the NHL level. Also, do you really think Sweeney cares about saving face? The guy clearly doesn't care about anybody's opinion. If he did, he would have drafted a CHL kid instead of Mason Lohrie.

Trust me, it's OK to not like a pick or a prospect a GM or coach...read my OP and you will see I said myself that I wouldn't bet my mortgage on Sensyshyn sticking in the NHL, but if Sensyhyn does make it...it will be because he earned it. Not because Sweeney is worried about what you think of him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am pretty sure Jay Leach's job is to develop whatever talent comes his way. If Leach is such a shill why was Providence top of class last year and why has he forced Senyshyn to earn his minutes the hard way? If he was a shill, he would have "gifted" Senyshyn top line reps and PP time. Apparently, that's not what he needed to succeed at the NHL level. Also, do you really think Sweeney cares about saving face? The guy clearly doesn't care about anybody's opinion. If he did, he would have drafted a CHL kid instead of Mason Lohrie.

Trust me, it's OK to not like a pick or a prospect a GM or coach...read my OP and you will see I said myself that I wouldn't bet my mortgage on Sensyshyn sticking in the NHL, but if Sensyhyn does make it...it will be because he earned it. Not because Sweeney is worried about what you think of him.

You missed the heavy sarcasm. Clear fail on my part.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Just know that thinking because someone like josh anderson and michael ferland and erik cole made it to the league after being underwhelming in the ahl. Those guys are exceptions to the rule, not the rule. If you think senyshyn is the exception fine. But thats beating some big odds. Plenty of big fast guys who cant score have played in the ahl and Theres under like 10 guys all time who have actually been top 6 nhl guys after that

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Serious question: I don't know anything about his mentality, but is there a possibility that his development was hampered by his draft slot and the criticism of picking him over other more established players?

Like, the second that pick was announced it was universally panned and hated. I'm sure Senyshyn isn't dumb, he isn't living in a bubble, he's probably read a lot the chatter online. I wonder if his confidence was totally shot as a result of that and that has had a tangible effect on his development arc. Like going into his first season with the weight of having to exceed all expectations and frustrated at not having the physical tools to reach that high bar, or just feeling defeated that no matter what he does, he can't match what Barzal did and will never be accepted by the fanbase, so he hasn't taken that leap to the next level. You have to wonder if he got drafted by Arizona at 30 overall, he might already have arrived and would be thriving in a third line role.

Reactions: Lo97 and Number6

member 96824

Player A:

Player B:

Edit:

No guesses?!?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Player A:

Player B:

Edit:

An OHL player who played 3 years in Providence AND just 3 years in the OHL.

I took a quick look and I couldn't come up with any names. I couple candidates I ruled out as they had 4 OHL seasons. You got me stumped.

member 96824

An OHL player who played 3 years in Providence AND just 3 years in the OHL.

I took a quick look and I couldn't come up with any names. I couple candidates I ruled out as they had 4 OHL seasons. You got me stumped.

Sorry I should have been more clear, cause you probably went down the right path. I wanted the comparison to be as side by side as possible in order to not "play with the numbers." One of those players only played his 18, 19, and 20 years in the OHL so I'm only using 18-20 years for all 3.

Reactions: BruinDust

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Player A:

Player B:

Edit:

I was going to guess Jared Knight, but he doesn't even have enough points in Providence, unless you typoed Player A.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

member 96824

I was going to guess Jared Knight, but he doesn't even have enough points in Providence, unless you typoed Player A.

Lol oh jeez, what a mess I'm making here. I had it in excel this morning...maybe I made a typo. I had Jared Knight as player A for his first 3 Providence seasons.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Serious question: I don't know anything about his mentality, but is there a possibility that his development was hampered by his draft slot and the criticism of picking him over other more established players?

Like, the second that pick was announced it was universally panned and hated. I'm sure Senyshyn isn't dumb, he isn't living in a bubble, he's probably read a lot the chatter online. I wonder if his confidence was totally shot as a result of that and that has had a tangible effect on his development arc. Like going into his first season with the weight of having to exceed all expectations and frustrated at not having the physical tools to reach that high bar, or just feeling defeated that no matter what he does, he can't match what Barzal did and will never be accepted by the fanbase, so he hasn't taken that leap to the next level. You have to wonder if he got drafted by Arizona at 30 overall, he might already have arrived and would be thriving in a third line role.

I think it is 100% reasonable to ask a question like this, but we will probably not know the answer until the Zach Senyshyn auto-biography comes out. I think any first round pick is going to have high expectations laid upon them and how the player handles that pressure plays a major role in whether they succeed. On one hand you have players that are rushed into the league too early and they flare out. In other cases you have prospects stuck behind a logjam of talent. That has largely been the case in Boston. And then you have players like Jakob Zboril who was picked pretty closely to where he had been ranked throughout the previous year and yet, when you read his interviews there are red flags about how he has dealt with Bruins management overseeing his development. I haven't been thrilled about his character, despite the fact that he was praised for being a leader in his QMJHL days. He finally seems to be coming around and maturing, but it has taken some time. Senyshyn, whether he was picked in the 1st or 2nd round was going to take a while to get to the NHL. So, we will see if Jay Leach's approach was the right one...and if Senyshyn truly has NHL upside.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
You failed in more than one way, because your attempt at sarcasm is just simply truth.

What a coach or GM says is a waste of air. No one should give a damn about what a coach or GM says, what a coach or GM does is the only thing that matters.

Coach says, "prospect is coming along nicely!", Coach does(n't) give said prospect more playing time.
GM says, "we are happy with said prospect's development!", GM does(n't) play said prospect in any meaningful games.

I know what I put more stock in, and it isn't puff pieces on the internet.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

~Jay Leach, Head Coach
I mean I have my own eyeballs so I’m not really sure what this is proving. He is factually not a big body irregardless of what his coach may be saying in the media for a myriad of different reasons. Would you call Brett Connolly a big body? They are the exact same size and I call him slender.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I mean I have my own eyeballs so I’m not really sure what this is proving. He is factually not a big body irregardless of what his coach may be saying in the media for a myriad of different reasons. Would you call Brett Connolly a big body? They are the exact same size and I call him slender.
Might want to look again - to me he looked significantly bigger on the ice this last year than he had in the past. Maybe just the maturation in his game and being more solid on his skates (looking to play through guys rather than around them). Didn’t get to Providence this year though...

Reactions: Mission ImPastable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->