Zach Redmond - UFA

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'd call into question the notion that Redmond was doing "great" prior to his injury. I seem to recall he'd cooled off quite a bit and was about ready to be sent back down just before getting injured.

No kidding, the myth, the truth and what Redmond was playing like before his injury have become convoluted. Redmond had become a regular healthy scratch and looked pretty weak even in the bottom pairing. Kulda is a better D man and no one even mentions him.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
8 games played in the NHL.

I have to think he is going to be a statistic with an anomaly for his 8 game stint.
Met the guy and he was a super nice kid, hope he gets another shot at the bigs, but the numbers do not lie. Just over 100 games is the average length of an NHL career according to stats that I have read.
Means he might be the lower end median, which is unfortunate.
Hope he proves the numbers wrong.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I still think Redmond will find a home on some team's blueline. Just needs a team that has the opening and needs a stop gap until some of their younger defenseman are ready. He'd come relatively cheap and could be a decent investment considering he's still got a lot of miles left to give.

I can see him landing in Tampa, Florida, New Jersey, Edmonton or Detroit.

impastabowl

Oct 15, 2011
So does anyone see us re-signing Redman? I know we're fairly sewn up on RD but I can't help but root for the guy, given the adversity he's battled through.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Don't know if this is just a me thing, but I think it has been refreshing to see Postma and Redmond of late. Not saying that either guy has been incredible, but neither has been bad and they both know what to do with the puck in the offensive zone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Don't know if this is just a me thing, but I think it has been refreshing to see Postma and Redmond of late. Not saying that either guy has been incredible, but neither has been bad and they both know what to do with the puck in the offensive zone.

I agree. It might be something in my head in regards to likeing them last year, or seeing more of Ellerby and Pardy all year and seeing their warts, but I've liked Postma and Redmond lately more than Ellerby and Pardy. Although Pardy has played well in the last couple.

Postma seems to have more offensive tools, but not that much over Redmond to me, and Redmond seems a little stronger in his own zone.

I wouldn't have an issue I don't think with Redmond as the 6/7 next year. Need to see more in the last few games though.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
No kidding, the myth, the truth and what Redmond was playing like before his injury have become convoluted. Redmond had become a regular healthy scratch and looked pretty weak even in the bottom pairing. Kulda is a better D man and no one even mentions him.

Here's his game log from 2013. He was up for two weeks as a regular. AFAI can tell he was scratched for a single game, that was vs. the Sabres on the 19th; he was injured on the 20th.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474743&season=20122013&view=gamelog

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

agreed. especially with pomo's d system (actually making playsin the d zone) I think they've both looked quite good. Much less "stuart-esq" then a lot of the D we've dressed. It's a shame about the injury's, would have been nice to see them in more games methinks.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I agree. It might be something in my head in regards to likeing them last year, or seeing more of Ellerby and Pardy all year and seeing their warts, but I've liked Postma and Redmond lately more than Ellerby and Pardy. Although Pardy has played well in the last couple.

Postma seems to have more offensive tools, but not that much over Redmond to me, and Redmond seems a little stronger in his own zone.

I wouldn't have an issue I don't think with Redmond as the 6/7 next year. Need to see more in the last few games though.

Agreed.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I would like to sign him.
I think he could be a solid 5-6-7 guy.

You can never have enough d man depth especially when the playoffs come calling.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I prefer Postma and Redmond over Pardy and Ellerby that's for sure.

I'd be down to re sign him for a reasonable cost.

As P4MVP said, you cant have to much defense depth.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Enstrom - Bogosian
Clitsome - Trouba
Stuart - Redmond/Postma
Pardy - Redmond/Postma

The above is my preference. Ellerby is too hot and cold for my liking, and while I do admit, he has spent the bulk of this season playing on his off-side, I just prefer Pardy as a hockey player. I'm not going to sweat the #8 D-man too much. I'd take Kulda over both Pardy and Ellerby, however.

I'd love to upgrade on Clitsome, but Morrissey is likely just a year away at most, and barring some disaster, he should slot into the #2 LHD role by the middle of the 2015-16 campaign if all goes according to the loosely recognized plan. As a result, landing (and overpaying) for an impact top 4 D-man may not be the best use of money (especially if P***** is still eating up dollars).

Long story short, I think Postma and Redmond have acquitted themselves well in an albeit small sample size late this season. I like the ability that both have especially as it pertains to puck skills in both ends of the ice. They don't treat it like a grenade. It helps our breakouts.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I had the chance to talk to Mark Chipman last April and the conversation turned to Redmond. Off the cuff Mark said "Zach will be a Jet for a long, long time". It's not an official position but Mark did light up when Zach's name came up.

Food for thought.

m.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Redmond's a tweener, too good for the AHL but not quite good enough as a regular at the NHL level. Age isn't on his side and his window of opportunity in the NHL is closing. Can see him playing in Europe in a few years.

How on God's green earth do you make that assessment about Redmond given his very limited opportunity? Between injury and just a glut of 5-7 guys on this team Zach has not been able to break through.

However, he seems to perform above expectations on a regular basis. The guy has battled and battled through some pretty rough stuff.

I think if we let him go, Zach Redmond will be one of those guys that we really regret not holding on to. His story is far from written.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How on God's green earth do you make that assessment about Redmond given his very limited opportunity? Between injury and just a glut of 5-7 guys on this team Zach has not been able to break through.

However, he seems to perform above expectations on a regular basis. The guy has battled and battled through some pretty rough stuff.

I think if we let him go, Zach Redmond will be one of those guys that we really regret not holding on to. His story is far from written.

Good post!

I have always liked and preferred him over Postma for the number 6 d-spot. I have quite enjoyed what he's brought the last few games and hope we give him next year to cement himself as a good two-way bottom pairing guy.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012
I think Redmond should be resigned. With his limited opportunities he has impressed me. He is physical along the boards and in front of the net, has a good sense on when to jump up on the play, can make great passes (see Tangradi's goal in LA), can find the back of the net, and has 6 points in 14 games with the Jets. I don't see any glaring problems with his game like you would see with other young defensemen that don't get in the line-up on a regular basis (things like, pinches too much, gets caught up ice, has trouble making that first pass, panics in the defensive zone, etc) Consistency and confidence like this is hard to do for a player that is used sparingly, and I think if he had been given the opportunity that Ellerby, Pardy, or Clitsome has had in the past couple years, we would see a player that we wouldn't even think about letting go of.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Watching how gassed Red's was after the one shift vs the Pens was amazing. He really puts his all into every shift. When they showed that on the camera I gained even more respect for the kid.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Watching how gassed Red's was after the one shift vs the Pens was amazing. He really puts his all into every shift. When they showed that on the camera I gained even more respect for the kid.

Was that the shift they got trapped in their zone, and gave up a goal? I liked how Huddy was chatting with him and patting him on the back instead of berating him. There are times to play bad cop, and times to play good cop.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Was that the shift they got trapped in their zone, and gave up a goal? I liked how Huddy was chatting with him and patting him on the back instead of berating him.

Yup that was the play.

And yes I loved that. He knew he gave it his all and was encouraging him instead of barking at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad