Zach Redmond - UFA

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Maurice already said Buf will not be playing defence this year.
So three guys is not really a abundance.

Bogosian
Trouba
Pardy
Postma

Is Redmond better than Postma and Pardy? People look at the Pardy signing and wonder why him when Redmond went for 2 years at 1.05m. Perhaps Redmond wanted to go to another organisation that didn't have such competition in the bottom pair. It's his prerogative as a UFA.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It wasn't like he was gonna break the bank or anything. Avalanche signed him for $750,000.

From that contract I'd say the Jets had zero interest in him.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Bogosian
Trouba
Pardy
Postma

Is Redmond better than Postma and Pardy? People look at the Pardy signing and wonder why him when Redmond went for 2 years at 1.05m. Perhaps Redmond wanted to go to another organisation that didn't have such competition in the bottom pair. It's his prerogative as a UFA.

Pardy shoots left.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Wish Redmond all the best. I do wish we'd found space for him, but I'm guessing Redmond looked at it and actually wanted to play rather than be part of a logjam.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
:cry: goodbye Redmond
Wish we could have signed him, but hope he does well (not too well against us though :D )

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Kids awesome, deserves a chance. It's too bad bar out epic D depth didn't allow him to have a shot.

Good thing Colorado doesn't have anyone of the calibre of Mark Stuart... Reds might crack the line up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kids awesome, deserves a chance. It's too bad bar out epic D depth didn't allow him to have a shot.

Good thing Colorado doesn't have anyone of the calibre of Mark Stuart... Reds might crack the line up.

I suspect Reds was never competing with Stu but more likely with Posty since they both played a similar role of the puck moving Offensive Defenseman. I wish Zach all the best he seems like a quality individual.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm going to add this to the Chevy sucks pile. It's starting to look a little bigger than the Chevy has any idea what he's doing pile.

Do we have someone who's a better fit for #3RHD? Sometimes the funny-smelling smoke makes me forget things, but I don't think we do. Sure isn't Postma, anyway.

Well done, Colorado.

Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, arguably Postma, we have an abundance of RHD.

Redmond>>>Postma. He's got a big point shot and I'm not sure what else. Buffy's a RW now by all indications, no matter what you, I or he hopes. Besides, what use is Bogo, Buff or Trouba as a 3rd pairing guy?

As near as I can tell, my question still stands.

What has Redmond done to get all this love? He's not a superior player to Postma in the A, and I don't see how he has higher potential.

At best, he's slightly better. So we lost a bottom pairing D-man. Meh.

Redmond has a ton of talent but tended to throw the puck away with regularity at the AHL level; he makes some questionable decisions with the puck. Am aware he has several fans on this board but if the Jets felt he had a future here then they would have retained him. Good luck to him in Colorado.

Maybe. It's not like one of them is a world beater and the other is scum though. I think Postma has more potential, simply because I think he's better when he's skating.

Either way, we weren't gonna be able to guarantee Redmond a place in the NHL, so I'm okay with him getting a shot where he should have a roster spot open. I hope he does well.

Another term project F for Chevy. Redmond is a better skater than Postma, has a little more size and uses it better, is better defensively and I think offensively as well. All by the eyeball test. Should have been 3RHD this year. There is no point listing Buff among our RHD until he is moved back there. So it will be Bogo, Trouba and Postma barring any further changes. I wouldn't say we have 'lots' of RHD. After Postma it is Kichton followed by _____.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Both Redmond and Postma never got enough NHL time to truly show what they have. They both should have and the better one given a one way contract.

The other should have been traded for something. This was badly handled. Redmond should not have walked for nothing.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Another term project F for Chevy. Redmond is a better skater than Postma, has a little more size and uses it better, is better defensively and I think offensively as well. All by the eyeball test. Should have been 3RHD this year. There is no point listing Buff among our RHD until he is moved back there. So it will be Bogo, Trouba and Postma barring any further changes. I wouldn't say we have 'lots' of RHD. After Postma it is Kichton followed by _____.

Postma is easily the better skater, Postma is one of the top skaters on the Jets. Postma is slightly bigger (6'3'' 205 vs 6'2'' 195). Postma has better offensive instincts and that's easy to see in the stats. Redmond is better positionally. It's kinda a meh thing between the two. I like them keeping Postma he has more upside, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good luck to Reds in the future. We have a wealth of RHD right now, and he unfortunately couldn't crack the lineup full time.

Enstrom - Bogo
???? - Trouba
Stuart - Pardy

Clitsome, Postma remain the ones to slot in. Chances are Stuart or Clitsome slide in beside Trouba, though I'd love it if Morrissey could grab that ring and bite it. I don't want a Clitsome - Bogo pair.

Assuming he is recovered from his surgery Clitsome will be beside Trouba. Pardy is a LHD. You have him in Postma's spot. IIRC Ellerby was the one who played either side although LHD was his natural spot. If Morrissey can make the jump I think he is most likely on the 3rd pair, at least at first.

I fail to see a wealth of RHD. After Postma there is no one but Kichton unless we were to add Jack Glover. I think that would be a little premature. In fact, with both Redmond and Ellerby gone we no longer have a wealth of defensemen of any kind although we still have some LHD prospects, Morrissey, Melchiori & Chiarot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bogosian
Trouba
Pardy
Postma

Pardy plays the left side and yes Redmond is better than either of them. Maybe not by a lot but better.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

We don't have a straight up defensive RHD, but apart from that. Buff should be a RD, Bogosian and Trouba will occupy our top 4 spots. Postma and Redmond are pretty much on the same level, neither particularly good defensively, neither getting it done offensively. I think Postma has higher potential. Then we have Kichton down in the A. Let's see what happens after that, but it's not like we're lacking D-men with offensive potential.

To me, we lost a guy who wanted a spot in the NHL, who hasn't been able to stick in the NHL with us. I like the guy, I hope his does well, I doubt this is the guy who will come back to haunt us.

To me, it's like the Bernier situation in LA. Sometimes, you don't want a guy rotting in the A, when his dream is to play in the NHL.

I'm not a Chevy defender (seriously, screw .900elec at this point), but I don't think this is as horrible as some are making it up to be.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Redmond has also played some very easy minutes. He's not pushed as much as Pardy Orr is with his zone starts, but he has some of the lowest QoC in the entire league. Much easier than both Orr and Postma.

Meh. We'll see. I hope he ends up as a 3rd pairing D-man for the Avs who does well in his career except for when he's playing us. And I hope Postma gets a little more confident when he plays, because I think he is superior to Redmond when he's skating the puck. I don't think either of them will make or break our run for the Cup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Postma is easily the better skater, Postma is one of the top skaters on the Jets. Postma is slightly bigger (6'3'' 205 vs 6'2'' 195). Postma has better offensive instincts and that's easy to see in the stats. Redmond is better positionally. It's kinda a meh thing between the two. I like them keeping Postma he has more upside, IMO.

Postma is listed as 6'3" 195, Redmond 6'2" 205 on TSN, the Jets site & IceCaps site. I think that Redmond plays bigger, uses his body better. IMO Zach is the better all round skater. Very solid on his skates. Speed is very close. I don't know what makes you say Postma has better offensive instincts. He may have a better shot from the point. Redmond is better defensively/positionally. It is close between the 2 but IMO Redmond is better. Upside is pretty hard to judge, especially between 2 players so close but there again IMO Redmond wins. Either way he is yet another asset who has walked for nothing.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
What has Redmond done to get all this love? He's not a superior player to Postma in the A, and I don't see how he has higher potential.

Point is we lost another asset for NOTHING! Pathetic asset management by Chevy IMO. We brought him in at the end of the year, didn't play him, didn't trade him at the deadline, complete fail by management!

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Postma is listed as 6'3" 195, Redmond 6'2" 205 on TSN, the Jets site & IceCaps site. I think that Redmond plays bigger, uses his body better. IMO Zach is the better all round skater. Very solid on his skates. Speed is very close. I don't know what makes you say Postma has better offensive instincts. He may have a better shot from the point. Redmond is better defensively/positionally. It is close between the 2 but IMO Redmond is better. Upside is pretty hard to judge, especially between 2 players so close but there again IMO Redmond wins. Either way he is yet another asset who has walked for nothing.

Redmond is actually a pretty poor skater that was probably one of his biggest knocks.he had ok straight ahead burst but his edge work from forward to backwards is not at the NHL level.

Derfel*

Why do I have this sinking feeling Redmond is going to be like Oduya...

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Hope Zachy Reds all the best. I'd rather have him than Postma, but I suppose management sees it differently. Colorado's D is junk so he should get a fair shake in their organization, which he was never going to get here.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Point is we lost another asset for NOTHING! Pathetic asset management by Chevy IMO. We brought him in at the end of the year, didn't play him, didn't trade him at the deadline, complete fail by management!

We lost an asset with next to no value for nothing. An asset that Chevy tried to sign. This isn't Hainsey we're talking about, a guy who had been in the league for years and was a quality D-man. We're talking about a 26 year old D-man who has never had an NHL spot, and didn't show enough to be played in front of Ellerby, Pardy or Postma.

Meh.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Redmond>>>Postma. He's got a big point shot and I'm not sure what else. Buffy's a RW now by all indications, no matter what you, I or he hopes. Besides, what use is Bogo, Buff or Trouba as a 3rd pairing guy?

As near as I can tell, my question still stands.

ok, three of these > was definitely overkill

He's right though, IMO. I'd chose Redmond over Postma.

Maybe. It's not like one of them is a world beater and the other is scum though. I think Postma has more potential, simply because I think he's better when he's skating.

Either way, we weren't gonna be able to guarantee Redmond a place in the NHL, so I'm okay with him getting a shot where he should have a roster spot open. I hope he does well.

I hope that too. I think it's pretty likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad