Zach Hyman

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Except this isn't true. All the wingers outside of Puljujarvi struggled mightily to score at even strength alongside these elite players so not everybody can score a bunch alongside McDavid. Even Eberle somewhat struggled alongside McDavid in his stint there many moons ago. Then there's Rattie etc. This is a narrative that isn't supported with facts.

I didn't say anyone can score with McDavid, I said McDavid can score with anyone. And that's demonstrably true.

There are two players that have produced well above their norm with McDavid and that's Maroon for one year (he turned into a pumpkin the next season) and Kassian for a small spurt. I remember Pouliot doing well in a brief stint as well when he was really engaged.
Being able to produce with skill is not something that every player can do. Being able to play alongside McDavid (who is not easy to play with) is a skill in itself. I think Hyman fits the prototype of the type of player that could succeed with McDavid. Not that I want any part of the contract that he's rumored to get but stylistically, he's a great fit for this group, better than Hall from that standpoint.

The object of the game is to score more than the other team. Given McDavid is perfectly capable of doing that with basically anyone who can skate in a straight line, why spend a bunch of cap space there when you can use it to shore up depth elsewhere?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Last three seasons 5v5 points:

McDavid: 170 (#1 in the league)
Draisaitl: 155 (#2 in the league)

We're blessed with two bona fide superstars and cursed with a management that has no idea how to build around them.
OK, if Leon is a superstar Connor is a mega superdedooper star. Watching both of them play McDavid is much faster and much quicker at near everything. Draisitl looks great but not on the same level.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
OK, if Leon is a superstar Connor is a mega superdedooper star. Watching both of them play McDavid is much faster and much quicker at near everything. Draisitl looks great but not on the same level.

Yeah, you can say that about McDavid vs everyone else. Which is why he’s a generational player. Leon is a franchise player and a top 5 (at least top 10) forward in the league

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I didn't say anyone can score with McDavid, I said McDavid can score with anyone. And that's demonstrably true.

I edited my post after you quoted it. I misunderstood your post originally thinking that you said anybody can score with McDavid.
McDavid could score with anybody but when his wingers aren't good enough, they're forced to put McDrai together which leaves the 2nd line barren. It's pretty much what cost them the Winnipeg series. Those two need to be driving their own lines full time if the Oilers ever want big success.

I agree that they need to fix the bottom 6 but top 6 winger is also needed. You can't have guys like Kahun and polluting the top 6 long term especially when the other top 6 wingers in RNH and Yamamoto aren't performing. Hell, it's arguable if Yamamoto is even a full time top 6 winger at this point. They need help there as well as the 3rd line. Don't go crazy with a Hyman contract but they need somebody legit who can fill that role. I just so happen to think that Hyman is the best fit but these rumored contract numbers are a no go for me which is a shame because I love the player and fit here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I edited my post after you quoted it. I misunderstood your post originally thinking that you said anybody can score with McDavid.
McDavid could score with anybody but when his wingers aren't good enough, they're forced to put McDrai together which leaves the 2nd line barren. It's pretty much what cost them the Winnipeg series. Those two need to be driving their own lines full time if the Oilers ever want big success.

I agree that they need to fix the bottom 6 but top 6 winger is also needed. You can't have guys like Kahun and polluting the top 6 long term especially when the other top 6 wingers in RNH and Yamamoto aren't performing. Hell, it's arguable if Yamamoto is even a full time top 6 winger at this point. They need help there as well as the 3rd line. Don't go crazy with a Hyman contract but they need somebody legit who can fill that role. I just so happen to think that Hyman is the best fit but these rumored contract numbers are a no go for me which is a shame because I love the player and fit here.

I'd argue the problem isn't with McDavid but Drai. As good as he is, he can't drive a line the same way 97 can so when he is saddled with poor or underperforming wingers. Add Tatar and play him with Draisaitl, run a grab bag at LW1. Priority should be stopping the bleeding when 97 and 29 aren't on the ice. Adding a cheaper option like Tatar gives them an option in the top 6 while not costing so much that you don't have the space for anything else.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
f*** no hell no. Use the extra money on Larsson and make a pitch for a better winger,

Jaden from the Blues or Beauvillier from the Island

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If we can trade for his rights and sign him to the Nuge contract minus the NMC and front load it, what would a buyout look like in year 5 or 6 @Fourier?

The Oilers could only give Hyman 7 years so they can't quite duplicate Nuge's deal. But assuming that the deal is teh same cap hit with the same last three years the buyout in year 5 would be roughly $3.8M, $3.6M, $2.4M $.9M, $.9M $.9 and in year 6 it would be $3.6M, $2.4M $1M, $1M.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd argue the problem isn't with McDavid but Drai. As good as he is, he can't drive a line the same way 97 can so when he is saddled with poor or underperforming wingers. Add Tatar and play him with Draisaitl, run a grab bag at LW1. Priority should be stopping the bleeding when 97 and 29 aren't on the ice. Adding a cheaper option like Tatar gives them an option in the top 6 while not costing so much that you don't have the space for anything else.
Seems we’ve had a much easier time finding players who gel with drai than Conor.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The object of the game is to score more than the other team. Given McDavid is perfectly capable of doing that with basically anyone who can skate in a straight line, why spend a bunch of cap space there when you can use it to shore up depth elsewhere?

McDavid's scoring is actually linemate dependent at ES. In particular it drops off significntly when he is not with Leon. He still puts up a fair number of points but with Leon he is off the charts. The team also has great sucess when those two are together on the ice at the same time.

Adding scoing depth allows you to play these two together when desired without losing ground when they are apart. One of the reasons why I like the idea of Hall is that he allows you this flexibilty since he can push the play on the second line playing with Nuge and say someone like Yamaoto to a degree that makes that line more like a 1b).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McDavid's scoring is actually linemate dependent at ES. In particular it drops off significntly when he is not with Leon. He still puts up a fair number of points but with Leon he is off the charts. The team also has great sucess when those two are together on the ice at the same time.

McDavid still puts up points and outscores without Drai, so we're really talking about padding boxcars here.

Also by the underlying numbers, the actual scoring rates seem to be dependent on puck luck Drai's lines outscore but lose the shots and chances battles while McDavid's GF% lag behind the shots/chances. McDavid actually tilts the ice more without Drai than with him.

Adding scoing depth allows you to play these two together when desired without losing ground when they are apart. One of the reasons why I like the idea of Hall is that he allows you this flexibilty since he can push the play on the second line playing with Nuge and say someone like Yamaoto to a degree that makes that line more like a 1b).

Yeah I like Hall for that reason as well, plus you then have the opportunity to run three lines with a driver on each (like Pittsburgh with Kessel). But the question for me wasn't "Hall vs. Hyman" it was "Hyman vs low cost alternative".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad