Zach Hyman

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Halls injury history is way more concerning than Hymans and that’s not even debatable. Hall has the most concerning injury history in this entire UFA class.

Hall at his best is an elite offensive player sure. The thing is he’s never been at that level consistently even through his prime 20’s years. With his injury history your betting on that not even just being maintained but getting better into his 30’s?

Oh and he also just so happens to be the losingest player in the league since 2010.

Debatable or not, signing Hyman to a long term 6-7 year contract is a major catastrophe in the making regardless.

Also, losingest player is relevant, how? Lol. By that kind of logic, McDavid's a loser because he hasn't won a cup yet despite the achievements he's gotten. Easy to call a player a loser, but hockey's a team game. One player can't single - handily win a cup.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have a serious question.

Do the vast majority on here that hate Hyman love Hall?

I know tons about Hall, he used to be my favorite Oiler, but this board has a sick fetish for him and grossly over value him.

I know very little about Hyman except that like all mid range forwards he's apt to get overpaid in the UFA market.

But is he good? I've heard he is a good player that scores even strength goals. When I've watched him he has been excellent but not eye popping/Jaw dropping.

Based on very limited viewing I take Hyman over Hall personally. But putting aside Hall or over payment what should we expect from him if he made the Oilers?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I know tons about Hall, he used to be my favorite Oiler, but this board has a sick fetish for him and grossly over value him.

I know very little about Hyman except that like all mid range forwards he's apt to get overpaid in the UFA market.

But is he good? I've heard he is a good player that scores even strength goals. When I've watched him he has been excellent but not eye popping/Jaw dropping.

Based on very limited viewing I take Hyman over Hall personally. But putting aside Hall or over payment what should we expect from him if he made the Oilers?

I don't dislike Hyman personally. I think he's a decent player. His potential contract is what I'm not a fan of. 6 to 7 years x 6-7m is just flat out gross for a player of his caliber. Career highest at 41 = warrants those contracts? Nope. If it was lower, I'd have no issues. Albatross contracts like that are such a major risk, especially to a organization that needs to learn not to pull another Lucic type of deal in a must win Connor McDavid era.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't love the thought of either getting a massive contract from us. I have good memories of Hall, and I hope we sign him more than Hyman because I think Hyman is this years Andrew Ladd. Hall has a higher top level and is more likely to take a team friendly deal. Hyman isn't signing here unless we pay the most, and with the rumored bidding war, I don't see how we win that deal at all. Both are good players. Both have risk in signing long deals.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hmmm ok. So winning a Hart trophy means you’re an elite playmaker? Don’t think he was drafted 1st overall for his playmaking skills.

That was his bread and butter early on.

He was neck and neck with Crosby and Getzlaf behind Thornton back in like 2013-2016 for assist numbers at 5v5.

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not worried about Hyman's longevity. He played pretty much the softest schedule possible in the NCAA until he was 25.

He's played about 350 NHL games so far. People keep comparing him to Lucic, but are somehow missing that Lucic had played almost 900 NHL games when he fell off a cliff. Hell, even Pouliot had like 600 NHL/AHL games played when he signed with the Oilers. Hyman has low KMs on him for the usual 29 year old UFA.

Sure, there's the torn ACL, but he's scored at a 31 goal pace since then. It doesn't seem to be slowing him down much.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm not worried about Hyman's longevity. He played pretty much the softest schedule possible in the NCAA until he was 25.

He's played about 350 NHL games so far. People keep comparing him to Lucic, but are somehow missing that Lucic had played almost 900 NHL games when he fell off a cliff. Hell, even Pouliot had like 600 NHL/AHL games played when he signed with the Oilers. Hyman has low KMs on him for the usual 29 year old UFA.

Sure, there's the torn ACL, but he's scored at a 31 goal pace since then. It doesn't seem to be slowing him down much.
I find it interesting that people are pointing to him being an injury liability but are pumping the shit out of Taylor Hall.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Hopefully the scuttlebutt is true and we're getting Hyman nd Hall. One overpay and one team friendly deal.

tenor.gif

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Oilers need a legit top 6 RWer and Zach Hyman is brought up? lmao don't forget we need a goalie or goalies still and fire Dustin Schwartz.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers need a legit top 6 RWer and Zach Hyman is brought up? lmao don't forget we need a goalie or goalies still and fire Dustin Schwartz.
We currently have no one to play 2nd line LW. We have two guys that can play RW, maybe not the best but there are guys if we can't find someone better.

Add that Hyman has been given permission to talk to teams so hence why we've had discussions around him already. As well there isn't exactly a ton of great RW UFAs.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
My take. Draisitl is an elite star player, McDavid is an elite superstars player.
Only one superstar player on our team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

What do the analytics say about Hyman vs. Hall? Based on my viewings of Hyman, he is a difference maker. Just because he doesn't dazzle like Kane or snipe like Matthews doesn't mean that he doesn't get the job done. Has Hall improved defensively at all since leaving the Oilers?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
My take. Draisitl is an elite star player, McDavid is an elite superstars player.
Only one superstar player on our team.

Last three seasons 5v5 points:

McDavid: 170 (#1 in the league)
Draisaitl: 155 (#2 in the league)

We're blessed with two bona fide superstars and cursed with a management that has no idea how to build around them.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What do the analytics say about Hyman vs. Hall? Based on my viewings of Hyman, he is a difference maker. Just because he doesn't dazzle like Kane or snipe like Matthews doesn't mean that he doesn't get the job done. Has Hall improved defensively at all since leaving the Oilers?

Hyman gets to play with elite players (most frequent linemates over the past three seasons: Marner, Tavares, Matthews) so I'm not sure he's a difference maker at all. Mor eof a complementary piece.

EDIT: when i was looking at the numbers in my previous post on McDavid and Drai I was a bit surprised to see Tatar come in at #22 in total 5v5 points and #19 in pts/60. Confirms for me that he'd be a great add if he can come in on a cheap value contract.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hyman gets to play with elite players (most frequent linemates over the past three seasons: Marner, Tavares, Matthews) so I'm not sure he's a difference maker at all. Mor eof a complementary piece.

EDIT: when i was looking at the numbers in my previous post on McDavid and Drai I was a bit surprised to see Tatar come in at #22 in total 5v5 points and #19 in pts/60. Confirms for me that he'd be a great add if he can come in on a cheap value contract.

I get that he has played with great players. The bottom line is that he has produced with great players. Tavares isn't the player that he was 3-4 seasons ago IMO. He is a trooper that gets to the tough areas, wins the puck to get it into the hands of his skilled linemates and finishes plays. Not the flashiest, prettiest style of play, etc. But that is what it takes to win tight games. Ideally we'd add him for Connor's LW and then plug Hall into our 3LW and let him tear the rest of the league's bottom 6's a new ass night in and night out.

As for Tatar, on a cheap deal and basically as our 3LW I'd have time for him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If he is all that then why are they getting rid of him instead of others

They have $40M tied up in 4 players and the Leafs GM is married to those 4 guys. They may also be trading their best D because they can't afford to resign him next year. Don't get me wrong, the rumored money and term I am hearing sounds like too much but that's only a rumor so far. But if Goodrow and his 6 goals is worth $3.6 x 6 who knows?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They have $40M tied up in 4 players and the Leafs GM is married to those 4 guys. They may also be trading their best D because they can't afford to resign him next year. Don't get me wrong, the rumored money and term I am hearing sounds like too much but that's only a rumor so far. But if Goodrow and his 6 goals is worth $3.6 x 6 who knows?

If we can trade for his rights and sign him to the Nuge contract minus the NMC and front load it, what would a buyout look like in year 5 or 6 @Fourier?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he wants to sign here, he needs to take less money on account of being able to play with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Talking like 5 x 5 *max* and it has to be front loaded, none of that "buy out proof!" shit.

If he wants more than that, buh bye. See how well you do without Matthews/Tavares/Marner/etc., we are not in a position to overpay a player that doesn't have high end skill and is going on 30 years old for a long term contract.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I get that he has played with great players. The bottom line is that he has produced with great players. Tavares isn't the player that he was 3-4 seasons ago IMO. He is a trooper that gets to the tough areas, wins the puck to get it into the hands of his skilled linemates and finishes plays. Not the flashiest, prettiest style of play, etc. But that is what it takes to win tight games. Ideally we'd add him for Connor's LW and then plug Hall into our 3LW and let him tear the rest of the league's bottom 6's a new ass night in and night out.

As for Tatar, on a cheap deal and basically as our 3LW I'd have time for him.

Re: Hyman I just don't think we need to pay a premium for someone to play that role when McDavid will put up 100 points with scrubs.

Kahun-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamomoto
Hall-RNH-Kassian

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Edited....

I misread @Little Fury 's post.

McDavid might be able to put up 100 points with scrubs (although that's never been proven as he has always been handed the best winger on the team outside of some small stretches and the DRY line two seasons ago) but a lot of players have proven that they can't play with McDavid and Draisaitl for that matter, just look at last season for example where none of the top 6 wingers outside of Puljujarvi could piss a drop of offense at even strength.

There's a certain style of player that works well with McDavid as evidenced by Maroon that one year, Kassian and Pouliot for a small stretch. Big guys that can get in on the forecheck and free up pucks and/or crash the net. Hyman fits this prototype almost perfectly, he's probably the best forechecker in the league and has skill around the net. I wouldn't want to pay the premium that's been rumored but I think he fits better than Hall from that standpoint. I don't think playmakers or guys who need the puck on their stick a lot are great fits with McDavid. Drai is an exception because he's THAT good where he can fit well with anybody and produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Re: Hyman I just don't think we need to pay a premium for someone to play that role when McDavid will put up 100 points with scrubs.

Kahun-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamomoto
Hall-RNH-Kassian
Season doesn't matter. We know McDavid can put up #s. We need 2 top 6 players to help push McDavid and Drai passed the 1st rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad