Zach Hyman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Watching some video on this guy and he looks like just what we need. Imagine Hyman and Pulju being puck hounds for Connor.

Watch how much he owns us in the goals videos. It wouldn't surprise me if the players on our team have big time respect for him as a player and are pushing for us to sign him?

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’ve said it before: Archibald is a poor man’s Hyman, at an appropriate price. He isn’t worth a dollar more than 4mil per and Holland will be entering Chiarelli territory if he follows the Keith trade with a big contract for Hyman.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s a good player I’d love to have him. Him and Jesse on the forecheck digging up pucks would be unstoppable. It’s just about the dollars and term. Hopefully they can keep it at 5-6 years and under 6 million.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Flames will give him big money. Likely Seattle takes Giordano which opens up cap room for them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's a good player to have at 2.5-3 million. Not at 6 million and certainly not for 5-6 years.

This has epic fail written all over it.

Look at what we have for $3 million. Kassian. Are you honestly going to tell me that he won't be more impactful than Kassian? I agree that we will likely overpay him if we sign him, but this is a lunch pail type of a player that brings an honest effort every game. Every team needs guys that they can count on to grind the other team down with hard work down low and score in the dirty areas. Adding Hyman and Holloway gives us 2 more of those players to go along with Jesse and Yamamoto.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Watching some video on this guy and he looks like just what we need. Imagine Hyman and Pulju being puck hounds for Connor.

Watch how much he owns us in the goals videos. It wouldn't surprise me if the players on our team have big time respect for him as a player and are pushing for us to sign him?

There is no doubt he's a good player and seems like he'd be a great fit, but the pricetag....... Is the one massive glaring issue. Paying big ticket prices for guys cause they are great defensively and heavy on intangibles, but lacking high end skill rarely turns out well, it's just a story that has played out far too many times, yet there is always one old school GM willing to back up a dumptruck full of money and say this time will be different.

Reactions: Aerrol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Watching those Hyman highlights I see a player who is just barely getting away with the plays he attempts. I see a player who leaches points off the skill of Matthews/Marner/Nylander or leaches points with fortunate bouncing pucks on the PP. If he loses even a quarter of a step in his game I could see him completely cratering. If he doesn’t have the chemistry to work with McDavid I could see him cratering. This is the exact type of player that will screw your team over if you sign him for a high cap long term. The Leafs know the player, the Leafs don’t want him at his inflated market price.

Avoid Hyman. This guy does not have the skill to warrant his ask. Franchise crippling contract incoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s a good player I’d love to have him. Him and Jesse on the forecheck digging up pucks would be unstoppable. It’s just about the dollars and term. Hopefully they can keep it at 5-6 years and under 6 million.

He's an UFA that is 29 with a career earnings of around $10 million. This is what he has been working towards for all these years. I would be pleased if we sign him for under $6 million AAV all things considered. This is not the guy to make things click, this is the guy to keep the puck in Connor's hands, to create chaos and to put the puck in the net. This is not a Kassian that is easy to play against because he's not outworking people in the corners, this is not a Yamamoto or Nuge that is easy to knock off the puck. Nurse was holding him in that clip and he still muscled through to take it to the goal and score.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Look at what we have for $3 million. Kassian. Are you honestly going to tell me that he won't be more impactful than Kassian? I agree that we will likely overpay him if we sign him, but this is a lunch pail type of a player that brings an honest effort every game. Every team needs guys that they can count on to grind the other team down with hard work down low and score in the dirty areas. Adding Hyman and Holloway gives us 2 more of those players to go along with Jesse and Yamamoto.

I agree 100% that he would help us. I also agree he's more impactful than a player like Kassian. However, my concern is the combination of salary and term. Players like Hyman typically have shorter shelf life and that money needs to be allocated elsewhere starting in 2022-2023.

I'm not comfortable with Hyman potentially starting to decline and being a severly overpaid middle 6 winger while Nurse, Bear, Bouchard, Broberg, Puljujarvi, Mcleod and eventually Holloway needing new deals. We also can't expect to spend 5-7 million on goaltending per season either.

For example to get full value out of the Hyman deal you have to be 100% confident that he would have to perform like a Bryan Rust in Pittsburgh and not like a Jason Zucker.

Reactions: Aerrol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's a good player to have at 2.5-3 million. Not at 6 million and certainly not for 5-6 years.

This has epic fail written all over it.
Epic fail is the other guy who is only 10months younger that we signed for 8 more years. ES production between the 2 is not even close.

5x5 for Hyman would be the starting point IMO. Hopefully we wait for Hall before going after Hyman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There is no doubt he's a good player and seems like he'd be a great fit, but the pricetag....... Is the one massive glaring issue. Paying big ticket prices for guys cause they are great defensively and heavy on intangibles, but lacking high end skill rarely turns out well, it's just a story that has played out far too many times, yet there is always one old school GM willing to back up a dumptruck full of money and say this time will be different.

IMO it'd be a great fit for the first 4 years or so and then he'd start to decline into a 3rd liner. Will he be giving us good bang for the buck in years 4-7?, I definitely don't believe so. But unless there is a player that we can land and sign long term into their early 30's, this is the necessary evil.

Watching those Hyman highlights I see a player who is just barely getting away with the plays he attempts. I see a player who leaches points off the skill of Matthews/Marner/Nylander or leaches points with fortunate bouncing pucks on the PP. If he loses even a quarter of a step in his game u could see him completely cratering. If he doesn’t have the chemistry to work with McDavid I could see him cratering. This is the exact type of player that will screw your team over if you sign him for a high cap long term. The Leafs know the player, the Leafs don’t want him at his inflated market price.

Avoid Hyman. This guy does not have the skill to warrant his ask. Franchise crippling contract incoming.

Yet he owned us. I see a player that outworks and outmuscles the competition to win the puck and to give his linemates more time with the puck and finish plays. The Leafs don't have the cap to keep him and will be missing him big time.

Reactions: perseus

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's an UFA that is 29 with a career earnings of around $10 million. This is what he has been working towards for all these years. I would be pleased if we sign him for under $6 million AAV all things considered. This is not the guy to make things click, this is the guy to keep the puck in Connor's hands, to create chaos and to put the puck in the net. This is not a Kassian that is easy to play against because he's not outworking people in the corners, this is not a Yamamoto or Nuge that is easy to knock off the puck. Nurse was holding him in that clip and he still muscled through to take it to the goal and score.
I know people are scared of overpay/overterm, but I think he's a guy that would definitely fill a big hole in this lineup with how he plays the game and would really compliment McDavid well as others have said.

People don't trust Holland, I get it. But I think this is a guy you try to get because as a player he's exactly what we need up front.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Epic fail is the other guy who is only 10months younger that we signed for 8 more years. ES production between the 2 is not even close.

5x5 for Hyman would be the starting point IMO. Hopefully we wait for Hall before going after Hyman.
Take every concern you have about hyman and times it by 10 then you get hall. Hall has every red flag you could possibly look for in a UFA. Injury history? Check. Play style likely to lead to even more injuries? Check. Declining finishing skills? Check. Hall has it all.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
IMO it'd be a great fit for the first 4 years or so and then he'd start to decline into a 3rd liner. Will he be giving us good bang for the buck in years 4-7?, I definitely don't believe so. But unless there is a player that we can land and sign long term into their early 30's, this is the necessary evil.

Yet he owned us. I see a player that outworks and outmuscles the competition to win the puck and to give his linemates more time with the puck and finish plays. The Leafs don't have the cap to keep him and will be missing him big time.

He’s just barely getting away with those plays, every time he’s protecting the puck he’s just barely ahead of the defender chasing him. He’s shown no skill or IQ in those clips and only hustle and motor. If his hustle takes a slight step back whether from an age related decline in skating or minor injury I could see this player turning into a complete plug. And I see that as a very real possibility within 4 years. If he had some semblance of skill and that’s what you were paying for, this could be avoided. But he does not have an elite shot, or stick handling, or vision, or hockey IQ, or any of the regular traits you pay big money to forwards for. This guy was boosted on an offensive powerhouse in the Leafs who can get pucks to the net at will, Hyman cleans up in front of the net cause the Leafs get pucks to net front areas better than 90% of teams. Oilers have trouble penetrating the center of the ice, don’t throw pucks at volume to net front. Another reason I think Hymans production craters.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Take every concern you have about hyman and times it by 10 then you get hall. Hall has every red flag you could possibly look for in a UFA. Injury history? Check. Play style likely to lead to even more injuries? Check. Declining finishing skills? Check. Hall has it all.
Completely wrong. Hall has skill, Hyman does not. Halls production isn’t predicated on outskating, or out working, opponents. He has actual skill unlike Hyman which should see his production continue even if he loses a step. Hyman loses a step and his complete game is over, done, useless. Hall can snipe, Hyman cannot. He can dangle, Hyman cannot. Has has vision and poise, Hyman does not. He has very good playmaking ability, Hyman does not.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree 100% that he would help us. I also agree he's more impactful than a player like Kassian. However, my concern is the combination of salary and term. Players like Hyman typically have shorter shelf life and that money needs to be allocated elsewhere starting in 2022-2023.

I'm not comfortable with Hyman potentially starting to decline and being a severly overpaid middle 6 winger while Nurse, Bear, Bouchard, Broberg, Puljujarvi, Mcleod and eventually Holloway needing new deals. We also can't expect to spend 5-7 million on goaltending per season either.

For example to get full value out of the Hyman deal you have to be 100% confident that he would have to perform like a Bryan Rust in Pittsburgh and not like a Jason Zucker.

I get that, I am not saying that he will be good value in the 2nd half of his deal. Likely at best he'll be a quality 3rd liner. What I am saying is that IMO in the front half of that deal he will bring a lot of positives and really bolster our forward group. Bear may not even be here next season, McLeod needs to show that he has the grit to be a fixture as the 3rd line center and IMO doesn't have a top 6 upside. Also keep in mind that he is a RFA so odds are that he won't be given a blank check. IMO we cannot afford to overpay many non core guys. Hyman would be a win now move just like Keith is. We can't go all in without thinking about the future, but we can't only look to the future and neglect the present or we are going nowhere as a team.

I know people are scared of overpay/overterm, but I think he's a guy that would definitely fill a big hole in this lineup with how he plays the game and would really compliment McDavid well as others have said.

People don't trust Holland, I get it. But I think this is a guy you try to get because as a player he's exactly what we need up front.

Agreed.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Completely wrong. Hall has skill, Hyman does not. Halls production isn’t predicated on outskating, or out working, opponents. He has actual skill unlike Hyman which should see his production continue even if he loses a step. Hyman loses a step and his complete game is over, done, useless. Hall can snipe, Hyman cannot. He can dangle, Hyman cannot. Has has vision and poise, Hyman does not. He has very good playmaking ability, Hyman does not.
So why does hall produce less than him then? Hall has 37 goals since 2017-18. Hyman has 57 in that time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s just barely getting away with those plays, every time he’s protecting the puck he’s just barely ahead of the defender chasing him. He’s shown no skill or IQ in those clips and only hustle and motor. If his hustle takes a slight step back whether from an age related decline in skating or minor injury I could see this player turning into a complete plug. And I see that as a very real possibility within 4 years. If he had some semblance of skill and that’s what you were paying for, this could be avoided. But he does not have an elite shot, or stick handling, or vision, or hockey IQ, or any of the regular traits you pay big money to forwards for. This guy was boosted on an offensive powerhouse in the Leafs who can get pucks to the net at will, Hyman cleans up in front of the net cause the Leafs get pucks to net front areas better than 90% of teams. Oilers have trouble penetrating the center of the ice, don’t throw pucks at volume to net front. Another reason I think Hymans production craters.

Complete BS.

Both players rely on their skating. I'll take the guy that pays the price to make the play over another perimeter player. Hall would be my 4th choice for LW behind Landeskog, Hyman and Schwartz.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The "does not/cannot" is incorrect. You may say 'not elite' and I will buy it but to say Hyman does not have skill, dangles, playmaking etc would be BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad