Zach Hyman

RLF

May 5, 2014
Do you even watch the games. Phil played up and down the line up constantly. Playing at times with Malkin Crosby ...
sometimes Malkin and Crosby play shifts together. This is the point. Zach Hyman NEVER comes off the top line. NEVER.

Yea, I watched the games and saw kessel mostly with Bonino and Haglin the first win...are you only referring to last year? That is called cherry picking to suit your view. Kind of how you moved away from the make up of Chicago and LA when they won and only concentrated on Pitt last year. Did you watch those games when Chi and LA won? If so, you would realize they did not win by stacking lines.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Your opinion. Not mine. We lost in first round. Coach did not adapt enough or we beat a one line team. Guess what even when that line struggled Hyman did not get moved.
Start a poll and see how many people though Hyman was one of the few players that showed up every single game.
Many of his detractors even posted their positive thoughts on his playoff performance. It takes a strong bias to not acknowledge he was good in that series.
If you want to blame the coach for not adapting, that's a totally different thread and doesn't impact how good Hyman was in the least.

Reactions: stickty111

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Yea, I watched the games and saw kessel mostly with Bonino and Haglin the first win...are you only referring to last year? That is called cherry picking to suit your view. Kind of how you moved away from the make up of Chicago and LA when they won and only concentrated on Pitt last year. Did you watch those games when Chi and LA won? If so, you would realize they did not win by stacking lines.

No I brought up cup winners over the past 10 years. I never said playoffs in my post. Phil did play up and down the the line up throughput the year and in playoffs.. You jumped to the playoff argument. Read before you respond. ALL of those teams tweaked there line ups like most coaches do. Thats my point. ZH plays on the top line no matter what. When we are losing slumping and we have he moves players around. Except ZH he never does. If that makes sense to you no need to discuss further.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Look in the mirror bud.
tenor.gif

I'm sorry. Did I hit a sensitive spot?

RLF

May 5, 2014
No I brought up cup winners over the past 10 years. I never said playoffs in my post. Phil did play up and down the the line up throughput the year and in playoffs.. You jumped to the playoff argument. Read before you respond. ALL of those teams tweaked there line ups like most coaches do. Thats my point. ZH plays on the top line no matter what. When we are losing slumping and we have he moves players around. Except ZH he never does. If that makes sense to you no need to discuss further.

I read before responding...in case I am mistaken, you have to go through the playoffs to win the Stanley cup.:huh:

Maybe don't mention how all the Stanley Cup winners did it if not referring to winning the cup? Just a thought.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I read before responding...in case I am mistaken, you have to go through the playoffs to win the Stanley cup.:huh:

Maybe don't mention how all the Stanley Cup winners did it if not referring to winning the cup? Just a thought.
Now you're just being silly :sarcasm:

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I would just like to see an extended look at the top 6 without Hyman involved so we can see if it would be advantageous or not. Babcock refuses to even try that, so there's where everybody on my side of the fence gets cranky about Hyman (who I'm fine with even on a third line/checking role).

Yeah..
Whenever it is suggested that Hyman be moved off that line we get the usual response about how well it's going now so why change?
Heard it last year about Matthews......couldn't be better..why change anything.
Well, if this grinder plus skill line management had won a stanley cup or two that argument may have some merit.
But ..they have done nothing like that.
Look, all we are saying is to give it a try and see what happens.
Why do people get so defensive when we suggest that?
It's not personal..it's business :)

Reactions: ToMaLe and hotpaws

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
So we could have.. Matthews..Nylander..Marner,Tavares. Kapanen, Kadri.
It will never happen but they could have 2 super lines rarely seen in the NHL...that could probably blow the doors off..
And lines 3 and 4 with grinders who work hard and check all night.

Wouldn't that be fun?
Would that win a cup?..
Who knows?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Do you even watch the games. Phil played up and down the line up constantly. Playing at times with Malkin Crosby ...
sometimes Malkin and Crosby play shifts together. This is the point. Zach Hyman NEVER comes off the top line. NEVER.
It appears that many on here do not watch many other teams or pay attention to any of the dynamics of their coaching.

Looking at kessels usage and stating that he plays on the 3d line demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of the entire dynamic. Kessel has consistently received the 3rd most usage among the pens forwards.

Reactions: ToMaLe and hotpaws

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
It will never happen but they could have 2 super lines rarely seen in the NHL...that could probably blow the doors off..

Wouldn't that be fun?
Would that win a cup?..
Who knows?
It still may happen. Why would Babcock do those lines now? early in the season? wait it out, why show all your cards now? fans get too impatient. they need to get to the playoffs, win a series, and THEN we can show our stuff.

RLF

May 5, 2014
It appears that many on here do not watch many other teams or pay attention to any of the dynamics of their coaching.

Looking at kessels usage and stating that he plays on the 3d line demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of the entire dynamic. Kessel has consistently received the 3rd most usage among the pens forwards.

LOL. yes, your understanding of 5v5 usage of the game is a teaching moment for sure. Thank you for that. Since I was clearly talking about the playoffs. Kessel was 5th in icetime among forwards in the playoffs last year and 4th the year before with a few players within seconds of each other. So basically, Kessel got a little extra time over his regular linemates late in the games when they needed a goal which pumped up his minutes literally by seconds over his regular linemates. How does that prove your point? Well, actually since he played less in the playoffs in comparison to regular season, it would seem they went to a more balanced attack when it mattered. Playoffs are really what matters. No? Thanks for helping me out.

It appears you are right about one thing...some people are not watching the games or understanding coaching dynamics.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't know how anyone could have witnessed last years playoffs and came to the conclusion that the Leafs would have won if only Hyman were on a different line.
I don't know whether we would have beat the Bruins by stacking one line but I know they knocked us out by doing that .

Reactions: ToMaLe and smitty10

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't know whether we would have beat the Bruins by stacking one line but I know they knocked us out by doing that .
Exactly... 3 skilled players vs. 2 skilled players..Babacock genius. It was on display last night as well. Atkinson PLD and Panarin were killing it against Marner and JT and Hyman.

Reactions: smitty10

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Wouldn't that be fun?
Would that win a cup?..
Who knows?
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Hyman
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

I.. I like it.. a lot. Trade for a half decent 3C at the deadline to keep Patty on the wing.. could you imagine!

Reactions: PuckMagi

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Hyman is a great player along the boards battling for loose pucks, retrieving pucks.

Hyman is also one of the worst players in the NHL WITH the puck and off the rush.

As much as he HELPS Tavares/Marner in the o-zone, he kills them off the rush.

He's on that line forever.

He's not a reason the team wins/loses.

If your objective is to maximize the points by Tavares/Marner (or Matthews/Nylander last year), then Hyman is an awful choice for that - but he's a useful role player who's good defensively, works hard, consistently.

Imagine Andreas Johnsson was tried there? I could see some erratic play defensively, at times, BUT if they end up gelling, I could also see the team benefiting hugely. Babs won't ever try it though.

The most we'll see is Kadri on that wing the odd shift once Matthews comes back and Willy decides he'd rather be a Leaf than play in the KHL.

Reactions: Muston Atthews

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wish he had any semblance of hands. You watch Tavares or Marner come into the zone with the puck and make magic happen. You watch hyman bring the puck in and it dies when it gets to the circles. His playmaking abilities are abysmal.

He’s an absolutely outstanding player in every other category than scoring/playmaking and general hands

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
I wish he had any semblance of hands. You watch Tavares or Marner come into the zone with the puck and make magic happen. You watch hyman bring the puck in and it dies when it gets to the circles. His playmaking abilities are abysmal.

He’s an absolutely outstanding player in every other category than scoring/playmaking and general hands

Heres the thing. Its hard for most guys at this level to play the wing well. Then actually try and move to your off wing is very difficult. Some prolific scorers like it because they have the ability for a one T in the offensive zone. Something not even in the realm of Hymans wheel house or skill set. Next is imagine trying to receive or make passes on your back hand. Again a skill that few possess to do it well at this level. MB knows he could never have played ZH ahead of Marner and Nylander for long on the right side so he brilliantly moved him to the left side. He should never be a top six playing on his proper wing never mind trying to do it on his off wing.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
of Hyman's 7 assists this year... only 2 have been primary assists.

how is it possible to play with Tavares and Marner all year and only get 2 primary assists?

Reactions: ToMaLe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad