Zach Hyman

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
The thing I don't love about Hyman with two of the leagues best 20 players is that it lets defenses ignore him to take space from them, which is at a premium once you're in the offensive zone. We really don't know if Hyman is an anchor on his lines because we haven't seen a top 6 without him. He's got a good combination of being fast and being sort of heavy, but I really do think that a guy like Kapanen could do the same job while being more effective at making defenses account for 3 players which makes more space for his talented linemates and finishing the opportunities created for him. I would say that it certainly looks like Marner & Tavares' point production has more to do with Marner & Tavares than it does with Hyman, but we won't know that until we see something different

Keep in mind that we all want to see the same thing, for the team to be as good as it can be. With that in mind, we should be willing to try everything to see what works best

Yeah I hear ya, im not saying Hyman is the reason they are doing so well - more that they are capable of doing this well, and he's not an anchor (while having a low cap hit). Kap would do great on that line as well but we only have 1 kap and he looked awesome with matthews. basically my point is not everyone is going to be a ppg winger so its nice to have a guy like hyman who can fit in nicely on any line without it losing offense.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I hear ya, im not saying Hyman is the reason they are doing so well - more that they are capable of doing this well, and he's not an anchor (while having a low cap hit). Kap would do great on that line as well but we only have 1 kap and he looked awesome with matthews. basically my point is not everyone is going to be a ppg winger so its nice to have a guy like hyman who can fit in nicely on any line without it losing offense.
I'd still like to see what happens if Hyman was moved down the lineup and someone with more offensive prowess gets a shot with those uber talented linemates, we could always go back if it doesn't work. It's good to know that Hyman works on whichever of those top 2 lines at a low cap hit though, I agree on that point

Reactions: Albi34

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Anyone bashing this guy has no ****ing clue what they’re talking about. Does he lack skill and finesse? Yes. But I guarantee you if everyone on our team worked like him we would win 80 games a season.

Reactions: Liminality

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Anyone bashing this guy has no ****ing clue what they’re talking about. Does he lack skill and finesse? Yes. But I guarantee you if everyone on our team worked like him we would win 80 games a season.
But I also guarantee you that if everyone on our team had his skills as well as his work ethic, we'd score the least amount of goals in NHL history. The dude is the perfect bottom 6 checking winger...put him there and let him thrive. The team would instantly benefit.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
if everyone on our team worked/played like him it would be like a 5 yr old timbit scrimmage where all the players run around clumped together chasing and wacking at the puck .

Hyman is a hard working energy player , if we didn't have have him Babs would find another one like he did in Det . It's funny how desperate people are to defend every move the coach/mgmt makes yet actually believe they're not defending the coach but that Hyman should be playing these mins on a top line .

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Say that all you'd like, but there is a lot more to hockey than working hard. He doesn't have the skills to play in our top 6 and it's a shame that other players with more skill aren't given the opportunity to play with Marner and Tavares. I know some people are quick to state that 'the line works fine the way it is, don't mess with it' and that's their opinion. However, I believe that you should try and ice the best lines possible.

I know we don't have anyone on the left side who is as good as Marner and Tavares, but I believe they are so good that they can elevate the games of the players who play with them. Hyman, unfortunately, doesn't have the ability to produce or elevate his game to the production of a top 6 forward even when constantly playing with our top 2 scorers. Given the opportunity, we've seen Kapanen and now Johnsson gain confidence and elevate their game. Both guys struggled to produce in the bottom 6, yet thrived and elevated their level of play and production when given the chance to play up with more talented players.

I'm not saying that this will happen with anyone except Hyman or anything. I do believe though that Leivo should be given the chance to play with these guys. He works hard, forechecks and has skill with the puck.
Maybe we would see elevated production from that line and Leivo if he was moved up the lineup.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I love Hyman, have always supported him, but he looks woefully out of place on that 2nd line. He's not even winning puck battles like he used to.

I'd be afraid to change anything on that line, though.
Gud pro hard worker and Egococks lover. Watching Matthews, Kapanen, Johnson lines just proves what everyone wanted last year. Replacing Johnson with Hyman....but will never happen bc egocock loves his hyman. Only way we wont see that plug on the top 6 is if Dubas steps in and trades him away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad