Value of: Zach Hyman

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Pretty sure a Hyman type player can be had that has more talent! As far as the Marleau compareison,what you say is mostly true,but to be honest it is all about expectationsand mine are not that high for a 40 yr.old. If Willy comes back ,Paddy is out of a job in my books.

Certainly possible -- but with more talent, would come either more money, or less effectiveness in terms of puck retrieval and penalty killing.

The Leafs really don't need any more skill on the Matthews line, or on the Tavares line. What they need is a guy exactly like Zach Hyman -- a player to do the dirty work, make some space, and kill penalties so that they can potentially look at running 3 high-end scoring lines.

When you consider the fact that the Leafs aren't really using Kadri as a shutdown centre this year... If Willy comes back, and Kapanen is still playing as well as he is, don't be suprised to see Nylander on a line with Nazem Kadri; and add a 3rd over-the-top offensive threat.

Toronto's whole gameplan to success is keeping the opposition on their heels. They've succeeded this year without Kadri's line producing much.... add Nylander to that line, and their 3rd line is probably better than all but 2 or 3 teams 2nd lines. The reason the Leafs lost to the Bruins last year, is because they spent far too much focus and energy, trying to stop Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak.

This year, they're basically in a position where on the road, they could roll 3 lines, not be at a huge disadvantage when Bergeron's line is out (regardless of who they have out there), and be at a major advantage the other 60% of the game. At home, maybe Kadri finds himself in a shutdown role and you put Nylander with Matthews... but for most situations.... Hyman is a perfect fit on that top line.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Hyman has horrible hands and zero IQ. He's ok in the corners and penalty killing. He's a fourth liner who has incriminating evidence against his coach and has played most of his time with Matthews and now Tavares.

He has zero value because every team has a few Hymans but they usually play on the 4th line.

Here's a fun clip of Hyman dangling Doughty last night. He got an assist for his effort.

Here's a video of Hyman scoring a nice goal in the playoffs.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Certainly possible -- but with more talent, would come either more money, or less effectiveness in terms of puck retrieval and penalty killing.

The Leafs really don't need any more skill on the Matthews line, or on the Tavares line. What they need is a guy exactly like Zach Hyman -- a player to do the dirty work, make some space, and kill penalties so that they can potentially look at running 3 high-end scoring lines.

When you consider the fact that the Leafs aren't really using Kadri as a shutdown centre this year... If Willy comes back, and Kapanen is still playing as well as he is, don't be suprised to see Nylander on a line with Nazem Kadri; and add a 3rd over-the-top offensive threat.

Toronto's whole gameplan to success is keeping the opposition on their heels. They've succeeded this year without Kadri's line producing much.... add Nylander to that line, and their 3rd line is probably better than all but 2 or 3 teams 2nd lines. The reason the Leafs lost to the Bruins last year, is because they spent far too much focus and energy, trying to stop Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak.

This year, they're basically in a position where on the road, they could roll 3 lines, not be at a huge disadvantage when Bergeron's line is out (regardless of who they have out there), and be at a major advantage the other 60% of the game. At home, maybe Kadri finds himself in a shutdown role and you put Nylander with Matthews... but for most situations.... Hyman is a perfect fit on that top line.
Not sure about your observations,but have you seen how dangerous Marner and Tavares are on the PK...they are a legitimate threat ,unlike Zach.
Also, both JT and Marner really don't need a line-mate who is primarily a retriever, as both have a determined ability to get the puck themselves.
Babs doesn't surprise me anymore. As long as the team wins ,he won't be second guessed. I don't agree with a few of the roster/line-up selections and have criticized his in-game strategy at times as well.
I got the sense last season that Auston and Willy would of prefered to have a different line-mate. Maybe the Arizona visit rumour had some truth! This year so far, I've seen Zach work hard only to come up short many times,as well as missing golden opportunities to score. If he isn't an option for Marner or JT to pass the puck to,then they will not bother after a while. I am sure there will be success with ZAch,it's just that it could be so much more!

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Hyman has horrible hands and zero IQ. He's ok in the corners and penalty killing. He's a fourth liner who has incriminating evidence against his coach and has played most of his time with Matthews and now Tavares.

He has zero value because every team has a few Hymans but they usually play on the 4th line.
Do you watch hockey?

Forget the other BS you spewed, the bolded area shows you either 1. have never watched Hyman play, or 2. are an idiot.

He's one of the best board players in the league.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Jeez. It's an absolute shock that the leafs are so good with so many bad players in the lineup.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not sure about your observations,but have you seen how dangerous Marner and Tavares are on the PK...they are a legitimate threat ,unlike Zach.
Also, both JT and Marner really don't need a line-mate who is primarily a retriever, as both have a determined ability to get the puck themselves.
Babs doesn't surprise me anymore. As long as the team wins ,he won't be second guessed. I don't agree with a few of the roster/line-up selections and have criticized his in-game strategy at times as well.
I got the sense last season that Auston and Willy would of prefered to have a different line-mate. Maybe the Arizona visit rumour had some truth! This year so far, I've seen Zach work hard only to come up short many times,as well as missing golden opportunities to score. If he isn't an option for Marner or JT to pass the puck to,then they will not bother after a while. I am sure there will be success with ZAch,it's just that it could be so much more!

Of course they are. You give guys with that kind of talent a man advantage and minimal 1on1 puck battles, and they're going to find a way to beat you pretty close to 50% of the time.

Playing at 5 on 5 requires somebody to dump and chase fairly often. Somebody who's going to sacrifice being in prime scoring position, to be able to get the puck to the skill guys. Once the puck is in the zone, you're much more likely to score within the first 3-5 seconds than you are once the opposition has all 5 guys back and shuts down the lanes. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander; they're all at their best with the puck in open space.

Sure, the line could be "better" with somebody else. But if it is, it'll probably be more expensive, and it's probably be somebody that you can't use on the PK.

Jun 27, 2005
Do you watch hockey?

Forget the other BS you spewed, the bolded area shows you either 1. have never watched Hyman play, or 2. are an idiot.

He's one of the best board players in the league.

That's absurd. The best board player in the league is Crosby and if you think Hymans board work is even close you're delusional. You can watch great board work on the Leafs with Tavares and Matthews if you don't understand. But most importantly once you get the puck in a board battle you have to have the IQ to do something with it and Hyman fails horribly. Give Tyler Ennis the same opportunities and it wouldn't be worse. He's a fourth liner, nothing more, zero value.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Hyman is the kind of guy that every team wants on the roster but probably wouldn't pay enough to acquire via trade.

He isn't a star by any means but he will put up 40-45 points playing a hard forecheck game, strong defensively and a good PKer.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He’s been awesome this year (& last year playoffs) and is a huge part of the Marner-Tavares line.

I wouldn’t trade him unless there was a severe overpayment.

Connor Brown can be had though.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Matt Benning and a 5th for Hyman. Still, I might rather have Brown. Very similar players IMO but it would be Benning straight up for Brown.

Still, I don't see why TO would really want to trade ether.

Last edited:

Censored23

May 20, 2011
You cant look at Hyman the same way you would Marner or Nylander. He doesnt make those sweet passes, or rip the puck top shelf, or deke goaltenders out of their jock straps. What he does do is dig. When he goes into the corners, or behind the net, he usually comes out with the puck, allowing his more skilled linemates to make the plays and score.

He is pretty fast. He plays on the PK. Has 5 SHG's in just over 2 years. And this year he has 5 pts in 7 games so far (yes, they are all assists, but without them those goals dont get scored).

To me, he seems like one of those guys who just enjoys playing the game, regardless of what role he's asked to perform.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Brian Benning and a 5th for Hyman. Still, I might rather have Brown. Very similar players IMO but it would be Benning straight up for Brown.

Still, I don't see why TO would really want to trade ether.

Brian Benning? are you sure you don't mean Matt because Brian would be fairly old at this point wouldn't he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad