Value of: Zach Hyman

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He’s worth more to the leafs (and Mike Babcock) than any other team in the league

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Is there a top 6 winger in the league worth less than that?
Hyman is middle-6 realistically. He is coming off a 40 point season and realistically probably ends up with something similar this coming season. I don't think the Leafs would manage to get a 1st rounder out of him; he isn't seen as having the same pure skill as a guy like Tatar (which I think we can agree Vegas brutally overpaid for), which again makes me ask, why trade him? He is on a reasonable contract, produces ok for the role he plays and brings some useful skills to the table. Unless he is the sweetner in a particular deal for a top player that improves Toronto dramatically (again, he is not going to fetch a difference-maker as the centre-piece of any deal), then might as well hold on to him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
My question in regards to Nylander would be, what would they trade him for then? Wouldn't a similar level star likely have a similar cap hit? It isn't like the Leafs want to trade star players on market level cap-hits for nothing just to free up cap space.

I believe that the Leafs can sign all their RFA stars, unless Matthews blows the door this year and wins the Hart.
And who ever suggested that Leafs trade. "their market level cap hits for nothing". That's foolish talk. Leafs really aren't carrying bad contracts, but if for cap reason that have to trade a player...for cap reasons, they would get value in return for a player like Nylander, even if was cheaper ELC players or picks.
Another scenario might be is that Leafs want to strengthen their defence with more expensive veteran, then trade a player like Nylander might be trading piece or at least a cap casualty.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I believe that the Leafs can sign all their RFA stars, unless Matthews blows the door this year and wins the Hart.
And who ever suggested that Leafs trade. "their market level cap hits for nothing". That's foolish talk. Leafs really aren't carrying bad contracts, but if for cap reason that have to trade a player...for cap reasons, they would get value in return for a player like Nylander, even if was cheaper ELC players or picks.
Another scenario might be is that Leafs want to strengthen their defence with more expensive veteran, then trade a player like Nylander might be trading piece or at least a cap casualty.
I agree, it would be nice if they could turn Nylander into a solid top-4 D with a decent contract, and I am sure Dubas is looking at that regularly, but worse comes to worse he can just sit on what he has. Toronto is bound to be top-heavy with the talent they have, but so is Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington... there seems to be a trend here ;)

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Unless Hyman has a significant drop off in his play, there is no way in hell he's traded. He is way, way more valuable than he would ever be credited for. Wouldn't even take a mid level 1st for him.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
He's a cheap, grinding, good defensively winger that can play with good players.

In what world would you want to lose that?

The reason why teams like Arizona and Edmonton are where they are, is cause they don't have quality depth pieces to surround the big guns.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hyman is middle-6 realistically. He is coming off a 40 point season and realistically probably ends up with something similar this coming season. I don't think the Leafs would manage to get a 1st rounder out of him; he isn't seen as having the same pure skill as a guy like Tatar (which I think we can agree Vegas brutally overpaid for), which again makes me ask, why trade him? He is on a reasonable contract, produces ok for the role he plays and brings some useful skills to the table. Unless he is the sweetner in a particular deal for a top player that improves Toronto dramatically (again, he is not going to fetch a difference-maker as the centre-piece of any deal), then might as well hold on to him.
Yes ,you are of course correct in your assessment! I am guilty of ragging on' Zach the top 6 winger' ,not Zach the player! It is Babs idea and I think there are better options. For any Zach fanboys posting the offensive things he has done,save it! Those few and far between the number of times the play dies with him,or the missed opportunities that an average player would of buried!

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Would take a real effort for any player to look bad playing with those two!
Yeah fair enough.

It’s crazy to think that we Have a line consisting of Marner and Tavares who have been absolutely dominant, but all anyone thinks about is Matthews BECAUSE HE Is that GOOD

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
the positives he does dont always show up on the score board or other stats, as such hes much more valuable to us then other teams.
Why wouldn’t he be just as valuable to another team? I’m pretty sure other teams GM’s and management notice all the little things he brings to Toronto. Which is why other teams would want him.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Yeah fair enough.

It’s crazy to think that we Have a line consisting of Marner and Tavares who have been absolutely dominant, but all anyone thinks about is Matthews BECAUSE HE Is that GOOD
Enjoy this season!!! Truly embrace it! These kids are fun to watch and fans (myself included) will always be critical of this or that. I can be wrong in my assessment ,yet still be happy if they win! Cheers1

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Enjoy this season!!! Truly embrace it! These kids are fun to watch and fans (myself included) will always be critical of this or that. I can be wrong in my assessment ,yet still be happy if they win! Cheers1
Yeah man exactly! We finally have something to be excited about! Embrace it!

Reactions: hector morrison

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Why? Why is it that no other coach or GM sees the great Hyman as something they need?

Other GMs might....

But the fact is, Babcock loves Hyman... on a team that, as soon as next year, could have 4 forwards making north of $6m, inclduign 2 that will certainly be over $10m; you absolutely need guys that you can slot into the top 6 at reasonable prices. Hyman has proved over the last few years that he can do that, and $2.25m is a great number for him to do so for 2 years after this one.

Maybe in summer 2021 his head gets big and somebody out there drops $5m on him; but until that point, the Leafs should absolutely hang onto him.

Personally, I think they'd trade Brown sooner than they trade Hyman, especially if Nylander does in fact remain a Maple Leaf. I'd suspect there isn't room for the Leafs to keep all of Nylander, Brown, Hyman and Kapanen; in addition of course to Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Kadri.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Other GMs might....

But the fact is, Babcock loves Hyman... on a team that, as soon as next year, could have 4 forwards making north of $6m, inclduign 2 that will certainly be over $10m; you absolutely need guys that you can slot into the top 6 at reasonable prices. Hyman has proved over the last few years that he can do that, and $2.25m is a great number for him to do so for 2 years after this one.

Maybe in summer 2021 his head gets big and somebody out there drops $5m on him; but until that point, the Leafs should absolutely hang onto him.

Personally, I think they'd trade Brown sooner than they trade Hyman, especially if Nylander does in fact remain a Maple Leaf.
Hyman or Brown ,either or both are replaceable ...easily! I just don't think Zach belongs in a top 6 position. Which is why it it is a mystery to me what Babs sees. I like how Austo is playing without him,that must bother Babs somewhat! Just like if /when Hyman is replaced on JT and Marner,they too will likely do better! To me Zach is and has been the luckiest player in the league,given who has played with!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Hyman or Brown ,either or both are replaceable ...easily! I just don't think Zach belongs in a top 6 position. Which is why it it is a mystery to me what Babs sees. I like how Austo is playing without him,that must bother Babs somewhat! Just like if /when Hyman is replaced on JT and Marner,they too will likely do better! To me Zach is and has been the luckiest player in the league,given who has played with!

Neither have a bunch of the players that have played on Crosby & Malkin's wings over the years.

The reality is, when you've got superstar centres, and, in this case, a couple of superstar wingers; you need cheap, "glue" guys to ride along with them, both from a cost perspective, and from a "we'd rather have hyman go into the corner than Marner".

Heck, at this point in their careers, Marleau and Hyman are pretty similar players, with Marleau having better hands (and a ton of experience), and Hyman being a little more forceful physically. Marleau cost the Leafs $6m, and realistically, they aren't using him to his fullest potential, simply because of the role he's needed to play with Matthews and Kapanen.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Neither have a bunch of the players that have played on Crosby & Malkin's wings over the years.

The reality is, when you've got superstar centres, and, in this case, a couple of superstar wingers; you need cheap, "glue" guys to ride along with them, both from a cost perspective, and from a "we'd rather have hyman go into the corner than Marner".

Heck, at this point in their careers, Marleau and Hyman are pretty similar players, with Marleau having better hands (and a ton of experience), and Hyman being a little more forceful physically. Marleau cost the Leafs $6m, and realistically, they aren't using him to his fullest potential, simply because of the role he's needed to play with Matthews and Kapanen.
Pretty sure a Hyman type player can be had that has more talent! As far as the Marleau compareison,what you say is mostly true,but to be honest it is all about expectationsand mine are not that high for a 40 yr.old. If Willy comes back ,Paddy is out of a job in my books.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Why wouldn’t he be just as valuable to another team? I’m pretty sure other teams GM’s and management notice all the little things he brings to Toronto. Which is why other teams would want him.
There are lots of Gms that would really an truly love to have Zach...but I'm bettin' there is no way he cuts the top6 on any other team!

Jun 27, 2005
Hyman has horrible hands and zero IQ. He's ok in the corners and penalty killing. He's a fourth liner who has incriminating evidence against his coach and has played most of his time with Matthews and now Tavares.

He has zero value because every team has a few Hymans but they usually play on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->