Value of: Zach Hyman

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Not what you/the Leafs would want for him.

3rd + prospect is probably the best offer from most teams. Maybe a late 2nd.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
the positives he does dont always show up on the score board or other stats, as such hes much more valuable to us then other teams.

Yeah. I don't really understand the impetus to "sell" him and push him out. Hyman seems like exactly the sort of player who is more useful to the Leafs than most other teams. He's exactly the sort of cheap, effective Top-9 filler who can be that "3rd wheel" you want on a line with a pair of highly skilled forwards like Toronto has basically set up on their top-2 lines (whenever Nylander gets signed and back on the ice). You need guys like that in a lineup...but teams don't pay big for guys who aren't line-drivers.

Best case, you probably get a pick or prospect that might turn into a guy who can play effective Top-9 minutes and fill out a Top-6 wing position 2-5 years from now.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah. I don't really understand the impetus to "sell" him and push him out. Hyman seems like exactly the sort of player who is more useful to the Leafs than most other teams. He's exactly the sort of cheap, effective Top-9 filler who can be that "3rd wheel" you want on a line with a pair of highly skilled forwards like Toronto has basically set up on their top-2 lines (whenever Nylander gets signed and back on the ice). You need guys like that in a lineup...but teams don't pay big for guys who aren't line-drivers.

Best case, you probably get a pick or prospect that might turn into a guy who can play effective Top-9 minutes and fill out a Top-6 wing position 2-5 years from now.
pretty much hyman does everything well except for one thing and gets a lot of flack for it. He lacks the ability to score goals but he does everything else, hes a glue guy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hyman isn't going anywhere at this point. Pretty sure if Mike has his way, Hyman is a Leaf for life.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Seems like unless he prices himself out of the teams plans or is part of a bigger trade that there is little to no benefit to the Leafs in trading him.

The value they get back is not likely to equal what they get from him.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Hyman's value is more to the Leafs than it would be to anyone else. He has an important role, he is neither a full on passenger on a top line, but he also doesn't generate the offense. Most complimentary pieces on top lines fall typically into one of two categories; 1. semi skilled players who are essentially passengers on a top line, rack up points, and then get overpaid by someone but once removed from their situation just fall off drastically. 2. Plugs who tend to drag down the offensive ability of their line mates.

Hyman having less value around the league than he has to the Leafs can be an advantage. He is on a pretty reasonable contract now, and chances are the next contract won't be contentious either. He is kind of the ideal support type player, which are rarer than you might think.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hyman's worth at least a late 1st.

Surprised the Oilers fan only offered a 3rd. Hyman would be the best winger on that lineup by a mile.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Slightly off topic, but Hyman’s career trajectory has been amazing. If you would have told me 5 years ago that Hyman would find himself stapled to superstar centers I’d have laughed my ass off. 9 points in back to back years Hyman is thriving alongside the top centers in the NHL. He is a bull on the forecheck and just never stops. He plays his role so effectively and the important thing is he doesn’t need the puck on his stick to perform his role. Which is a fact most don’t seem to realize when wanting to replace him on a line, be it beside Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner. There is no chance the Leafs trade Hyman so this is really a moot point. But I’d bet heavily that he would garner more than most on here seem to expect.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Slightly off topic, but Hyman’s career trajectory has been amazing. If you would have told me 5 years ago that Hyman would find himself stapled to superstar centers I’d have laughed my ass off. 9 points in back to back years Hyman is thriving alongside the top centers in the NHL. He is a bull on the forecheck and just never stops. He plays his role so effectively and the important thing is he doesn’t need the puck on his stick to perform his role. Which is a fact most don’t seem to realize when wanting to replace him on a line, be it beside Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner. There is no chance the Leafs trade Hyman so this is really a moot point. But I’d bet heavily that he would garner more than most on here seem to expect.

Credit to Leafs development. Similar thing with Kapanen. The guy was a timid, skilled guy who became totally invisible when he didn't have the puck. Now, he's a physical and fast 2-way forward.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Credit to Leafs development. Similar thing with Kapanen. The guy was a timid, skilled guy who became totally invisible when he didn't have the puck. Now, he's a physical and fast 2-way forward.

The Leafs certainly deserve some credit, but I’d say most of the coaching development (not considering Hyman’s work ethic) credit should go to Red Berenson. Hyman plays the game in the NHL exactly the way Red preached it to him and took significant strides during his career at Michigan. Babcock was a huge fan of Red Berenson and has talked about how he wanted Hyman as a player since his Michigan days.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The leafs are going to have to trade one of hyman/brown for cap reasons this summer unless Marleau waives his NMC.

So picks/prospects are the play here.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Babcock's coaching paradigm has elements of balance - he like to mix skill with grit.

"Someone has to dig the puck out of the corner"....

At the moment, that someone is Hyman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The leafs are going to have to trade one of hyman/brown for cap reasons this summer unless Marleau waives his NMC.

So picks/prospects are the play here.

No they don't havw to at all IF there is a cap crunch it's only for a year at worst and besides that Zaitsev would go before either Hyman or Brown since Zaitsev makes more money

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'd much rather move Brown than Hyman. Keep Kapanen and Hyman on the top 2 lines as the puck-hounds on the forecheck/dump.

Outside of Marleau and Kadri, the bottom 6 should be with guys like Leivo, Grundstrom, Johnsson, Lindholm. Cheap ELC's.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->