Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Pretty dirty disgusting hit. Clearly they were losing, clearly they were humiliated, and clearly Mcavoy is an up and coming top dman of the league and this punk Hyman knew EXACTY what he was doing. Hes a floater who picks up pts off better line mates and does crap like this. Boot this guy for 10 games and hopefully punks like him learn. WTF :rant:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I know we’re all relieved he wasn’t injured. I’m sure you’d feel the same had it been Matthews targeted with a dirty hit.
Fans need to look at the bigger picture instead of just blindly defending their own player.

I called hard for the league to suspend Wilson for that predatory hit in the preseason. Thought it was a little harsh but that was just brutal.

Also thought Reaves should get something for obviously nailing Wilsom late when he wasn't looking.

Once that was given nothing, you cant suspend Hyman now for something that is obviously not as bad. Just reeks so bad of politics it turns me off the game. Players and fans are getting very confused.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Both are hits in players in vulnerable spots. Matthews is pursuing the puck (never gets to it) and Kronwall's takes advantage of him in a vulnerable position. Clear boarding and he's lucky Matthews didn't break a collar bone.

Hymans is no better or worse IMO. Both could have avoided the contact and had no issues.
Nonsense. Matthews was essentially falling when Kronwall hit him well away from the boards. A 2 minute penalty was all that was called for.
Hymans was a predatory late hit with intent to injure. He was tossed for the game as he should be.
The two plays are not even close to the same and I think most non Leaf fans would agree.

Reactions: Pia8988

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Like I mentioned earlier. Hymans big issues are that McAvoy is in a vulnerable spot and not expecting contact. If he is right against the boards and ready for contact, this isn't an issue. Hyman does have a responsibility to let up here though, since the hit isn't necessary.

Agreed, and he fully deserved a penalty. I would have gone with 2 minutes, but am not outraged with the 5. I think the game is a bit much and anything beyond is not needed.

It does seem like they are throwing out 5 and a game way more frequently recently, like nightly.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
:laugh:

Hyman's hit was actually dirty, Kronwall put a shoulder into a guy in a puck battle.
Who is off balance reaching for a puck (that he never touches). Kronwall's puts him in a dangerous spot throwing him headfirst into the boards.

This is like me saying Hyman finishes a clean hit.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It seems clearly shoulder on shoulder, not a head-shot; the actual mechanics of the hit itself are clean. The only controversy there seems to be that it was also clearly late. What is the standard for just delivering a late hit? It seems to vary from just a two-minute interference penalty to a couple games. Hopefully for the Leafs it way out of proportion.
They've suspended players before for attempt to injure.
I assume that is part of what they are trying to figure out at the hearing. It was a hard hit that was clearly late and he also could have easily pulled back after seeing MacAvoy make the pass. He clearly took it upon himself to "finish his check" even if it was illegal at that point. In Hymans favor was that he didn't seem to target the head; it was shoulder on shoulder.
Probably going to be 2 games. If McAvoy is out from this hit, that's a win for the Leafs having a 10-goal scorer suspended for a couple.
C'mon, no one wants to see a kid seriously injured, not over a freaking hockey game. It isn't a "win" for anyone if McAvoy has a concussion or something serious.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I called hard for the league to suspend Wilson for that predatory hit in the preseason. Thought it was a little harsh but that was just brutal.

Also thought Reaves should get something for obviously nailing Wilsom late when he wasn't looking.

Once that was given nothing, you cant suspend Hyman now for something that is obviously not as bad. Just reeks so bad of politics it turns me off the game. Players and fans are getting very confused.
Politics? The league has certainly had no trouble suspending Wilson in the past.
Hyman should have expected this result. It’s a text book late hit. I hope they take this crap out of the game so that we can watch the young stars instead of seeing them getting concussions.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nonsense. Matthews was essentially falling when Kronwall hit him well away from the boards. A 2 minute penalty was all that was called for.
Hymans was a predatory late hit with intent to injure. He was tossed for the game as he should be.
The two plays are not even close to the same and I think most non Leaf fans would agree.
Both are predatory, kronwall take sadvantage of a player in a venerable spot. It's clear boarding and arguably from behind and interference. No need for the hit at all

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Both are predatory, kronwall take sadvantage of a player in a venerable spot. It's clear boarding and arguably from behind and interference. No need for the hit at all
Meh. You’re unable to see things objectively.
I get it as a fan but I think I’ll move on.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Politics? The league has certainly had no trouble suspending Wilson in the past.
Hyman should have expected this result. It’s a text book late hit. I hope they take this crap out of the game so that we can watch the young stars instead of seeing them getting concussions.

Was talking about Reaves not getting suspended here...Reaves.....

If they suspended Reaves (which i called for), then I would have no problem with Hyman getting one as well.

It's already bad enough he got a call on this in light of the precedent set but for him to get anything would now be ridiculous in light too McAvoy not missing any time outside of protocol.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
So I guess if this is precedent, Wagner's hearing should be coming.

All this time I was saying neither should be suspended but if they gonna Suspend Hyman was a late hit, then they should suspend that dirty Prick Wagner for an attempted headshot? Am i right?

Attempted headshot? A la Minority Report?
The precogs saw a vision that he wanted to hit the head?

Reactions: Pia8988

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Late hits alone don't get suspended, if league wants to suspend those they need to make an announcement again

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The difference in timing between the Hyman and Reaves hits was more than double. If the NHL has an established threshold of what a late hit is, one of them fell under that threshold, and the other one left it in the dust.

Definitely suspendable.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Was talking about Reaves not getting suspended here...Reaves.....

If they suspended Reaves (which i called for), then I would have no problem with Hyman getting one as well.

It's already bad enough he got a call on this in light of the precedent set but for him to get anything would now be ridiculous in light too McAvoy not missing any time outside of protocol.
They may or may not have messed up the Reaves hit. At this point I still want to see Hyman suspended. I want predatory hits like Hymans out of the game before another guy gets injured. I don’t care which team he plays for.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Who is off balance reaching for a puck (that he never touches). Kronwall's puts him in a dangerous spot throwing him headfirst into the boards.

This is like me saying Hyman finishes a clean hit.
Maybe Matthews should play the game as if he can get hit when going for the puck. It is hockey, after all.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Maybe Matthews should play the game as if he can get hit when going for the puck. It is hockey, after all.
Kinda like McAvoy should just keep his head up and expect a forechecker. If his head isn't in his ass he prepares himself and this is a non-issue.

But in both situations the "attacker" has a player in a vulnerable spot and takes advantage with a dangerous board which could have been much worse.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Kinda like McAvoy should just keep his head up and expect a forechecker. If his head isn't in his ass he prepares himself and this is a non-issue.

But in both situations the "attacker" has a player in a vulnerable spot and takes advantage with a dangerous board which could have been much worse.
Haha

No.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
True, defensemen don't usually get hit by a forechecker.
McAvoy shouldn't expect to be blindside hit late into the boards. No one should.

Matthews should expect to make contact with a guy right next to him while they're both heading for a loose puck.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
They may or may not have messed up the Reaves hit. At this point I still want to see Hyman suspended. I want predatory hits like Hymans out of the game before another guy gets injured.

We can have a discussion on the Hyman hit of course but it's like the 1 million pound elephant in the room.

Reaves went after Wilson all night and caught him late with no intention of doing anything else but taking him out, got 5 and a game and Wilson is still out with a concussion. Reaves also has a suspension history.

NHL says no supplemental action.

Hyman was finishing his check and was watching the puck when he got McAvoy late. He only got two minutes and McAvoy is only gonna be out the protocol time. Hyman has no suspension history.

NHL says : gotta jump on this guy!

Wait what?

Players Safety really destroys their rep with stuff like this. The players need consistancy here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We can have a discussion on the Hyman hit of course but it's like the 1 million pound elephant in the room.

Reaves went after Wilson all night and caught him late with no intention of doing anything else but taking him out, got 5 and a game and Wilson is still out with a concussion. Reaves also has a suspension history.

NHL says no supplemental action.

Hyman was finishing his check and was watching the puck when he got McAvoy late. He only got two minutes and McAvoy is only gonna be out the protocol time. Hyman has no suspension history.

NHL says : gotta jump on this guy!

Wait what?

Players Safety really destroys their rep with stuff like this. The players need consistancy here.
???
Hyman got five and a game misconduct. Obviously the refs saw it the same as I did.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pretty dirty disgusting hit. Clearly they were losing, clearly they were humiliated, and clearly Mcavoy is an up and coming top dman of the league and this punk Hyman knew EXACTY what he was doing. Hes a floater who picks up pts off better line mates and does crap like this. Boot this guy for 10 games and hopefully punks like him learn. WTF :rant:

I don't know how you could have displayed less knowledge about Zach Hyman in a single post. This was epic.

Reactions: WillTheThrill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad